nail trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled

Reaction score
how often should they be clipped (i'll have thevet do this) and is it necessary or optional?... bailey is super sweet-loves to come out and be petted but hates being held, and i don't wantto traumatize her with this if i don't have to...
thanks in advance for your input :)

It depends on how fast the nails aregrowing. I usually see 4-6 weeks recommended. Ijust clip their nails when the start looking long.

You could try trancing your rabbit to get the nails clipped, or justtry different ways of holding her. Neither of mine like to beheld, but we've found they calm down really quickly if you hold themwith one hand around the chest (just under the front legs) and one handunder the butt. It takes a second person to clip the nails,then but otherwise it's almost impossible with my Nethie.:p

I can't get either of mine to trance- I'm sure someone else couldexplain it better than me so I won't try. I think that youclipping your rabbit's nails would be less traumatizing than a car rideto have a stranger do it.

4-6 weeks is about right. What coloris your rabbit? What I mean is are the nails white orcolored? I sit in a chair or on the ground and put the rabbiton its back between my legs and clip their nails. The onesthat don't like being on their back I hold them and have a friend cliptheir nails.

You have to have the nails clipped. If you don't the nailsget really long and can grow and curl into the foot or can get pulledout (ouch!!!).

I'd advise having the vet show you some ways todo it yourself. It'll be a lot easier than driving to the vet every 4-6weeks. It's easier than you may think and less traumatizing.

It is pretty simple, you could either trancehim/her or you can use a 'bunny burrito' and wrap him/her into a toweland have another person cut the nails, but remember *never cut into thequick(red part)* this will cause it too bleed.

forgot to add- you dont have to clip all his nails at once, sometimesthe out of control rabbits get like one foot clipped a day because itsso hard to get them to stand still.

wow guys- thanks a bunch for thecomments/suggestions... bailey is a light brown/orange lop... if/when ido need to pick her up she remains calmest in a cradle/trance position-but she is rather unpredictible with when she snaps out of it... i haveto take a peek at her nails as far as color goes- i did a google searchon the net earlier and saw several site recommend a flashlight if hernails are dark...

i do like the idea of holding her b/ween the front & back legs and under the but while my hubby clips...

someone did raise a good point it'd be better than the trauma oftransporting her to the vet every month or so... i'm just panickedabout the what'if's if we do catch her vein

I just monitor the rabbits' nails and clip themwhen i see them getting long.....if i do happen to hit the quick, i putflour on it or use a thing called QuickStop (sp?)......how i hold thebun depends on what bun i'm trimming....

Ellie

The first time I took Pebbles to my vet and theyshowed me how to cut her nails. Now I have no problems doingit myself. I have corn starch on hand if I cut thequick. However I just trim alittle bit and never come close to the quick.

Here I just support Pebbles with my left arm against mybody, and grasp her paw with my left hand. I cutusing my right hand.

IMGA1297.jpg

This is Pebbles front paw.

IMGA1299.jpg

This is Pebbles back paws.

IMGA1300.jpg

Rainbows! :)

How do you get a rabbit's nails clipped if youcant pick him up? I am trying to do this myself but it isvery difficult to get him to sit still when I touch his feet.So i have just been touching his feet to try and get him used toit. I almost clipped one nail today, just as I was ready toclip he moved...almost had one nail but no success.

Personally I have my husband hold my buns as Isnip... which reminds me... it is monthly trimming time! I amthinking of getting some granite tiles from Home Depot, hoping thatmight help dull down Anubis' nails, hes got some SHARP daggers on thosebig ole feet

Try having someone help you at first till therabbit is used to it. They hold; you clip. Try to hold and notrestrain, though. Be as gentle as possible.

Latest posts

Back