Nail trimming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
So, I may be leaving my bunnies in my husband's care for 3 months (haven't decided if I'll do that or find a foster for them while I'm gone).
I know he'll be fine with feeding them, cleaning their cage, and giving them attention. What I'm not sure about is if he'll be comfortable trimming their nails.
So, my question is, how often do their nails need to be trimmed? (I do it probably once a month) Do you think it might be less stressful for all involved to have him take them to the vet (2 minutes from our house) and have them do their nails?

And yes, I'll make sure he has an account here before I leave :bunnydance:

Oh my goodness...are we allowed to ask where you are going? (if it's been said and I missed it, I apologize. If it's personal and you don't want to say I also apologize)

So for the nail trimming....I guess I would weigh which is worse. Can you teach hubby before you go? If not, how fast do their nails grow? I trim mine every 6-8 weeks. I would almost think it better to go 3 months without a trim than take them on a car ride and to the scary vet.....? But that's just me. Gosh, i don't know if that makes me "bad" lol, but a car ride and vet seems worse than 3 months without a nail trim.......

Try to teach him how to trim the nails himself. But if he is uncomfortable doing it, then just take them to the vet. Depending on how long their nails get, he may need to go once or twice while you are gone. You should do them before you leave (a day or 2 before would be good) and plan on doing them once you get back. 3 months is a long time to go without trimming the nails, so it would be good to get them done.

Thanks. I'll definitely show him. And as long as everyone (him and the bunnies) are comfortable, that's plan A.

Oh my goodness...are we allowed to ask where you are going? (if it's been said and I missed it, I apologize. If it's personal and you don't want to say I also apologize)

Military :)
I think I mentioned it in passing on another thread, but no big announcement lol

Agreed, show him how to trim them himself. He should be comfortable handling them in case of an emergency anyway.

Latest posts

Back