Nail trimming woes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever used the nail groomer on TV? I think it's called petti paws? They have them at the drugstore, but i am hesitant because they must make noise and ringer would probably be afraid. They say that it just files the nails down easily.

Something has to be done about her nails though. They are too long and I am not godd at trimming.

I have always just trimmed the front paws not the rear ones. I tried doing those once and she jumped. Is it necessary to do all four legs?

She hops around on a cement porch so that helps a bit I guess. I wish this wen't such a problem.

Yes, you need to do all four paws and don't forget the dew claws on the front paws.

I have read various reviews about the Petti Paws trimmer and all of them said it was a total waste of money.

There are two videos on nail trimming here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FastUpOnRabbitCare

These are my rabbits and they are NOT calm at all about nail trims and neither will trance. So, I take them to the vet to get their nails trimmed. Sometimes a friend comes over and trims them. My buns act better for other people than for me, which sounds familiar to any parent, I'm sure.

JadeIcing wrote:
I have one who fights it. With her I do one paw, break (15mins) than next and so on.
Me too only he still can be a pistol! (Bo) The other night I was doing his front feet and he jerked about the time I had his dewclaw in the clipper and sure enough, he broke it off and bled...... I hate that! :(

I take my bunnies into the front part of my guest bathroom. (It's sort of two rooms with a door in the middle, so one room is carpeted with just the sink if both doors are closed.) Since it's a small area, they can't easily escape. Even when they get out of the burrito, they can't run far and I don't have to chase them around.

If nails are that difficult for your bunny, maybe you should go to a vet or groomer to have them done.

Your location isn't in your profile, so I don't know where you are. Are you in the USA? If so, is there a chapter of HRS anywhere near you? I think a lot of the chapters will do nail trims for a small fee or free for you. It's free at the one I go to, people just show up at the monthly meeting, get nails done, and go. Bunny nail salon. :)

Even the most difficult to trim bunnies are better behaved once they are outside of their home, since they're in an unfamiliar place.

I just cut some nails during my monthly volunteering at the shelter. My preferred method is to sit on the floor with the bunny semi tranced between my outstretched legs--I can gently hold them there and use both hands to trim nails if they will trance. There was a head-tilt bunny there that just would not trance but really needed a trim, so I did what I call the "big kahuna bunny" pose with her, where I propped her up against my left arm and held her under her chest area. Then I would cut one-handed, first looking at the length of the nail that needed to be trimmed, then trimming it with the right hand. I find that good clippers are essential, otherwise both you and the bun get scared and upset and some bad clippers need two hands to even work. At home I use cat nail clippers, and at the shelter they have some great bunny nail clippers--very sharp. I did get one bun's quick--which was really scary as she was very sweet, it bled a ton, not my own rabbit, was on adoption hold, didn't have a paper towel near me and made a huge mess of styptic powder all over her foot, got it on my shirt, etc--but it turned out fine. It really is important not to let them get away in the middle of it. If they squirm out, you need to catch them again soon. That way they learn that there is nothing they can do about it, it is nail-cutting time and that is final!!

good luck

Latest posts

Back