nail trimming nightmare

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbolar

Reaction score
When Ralphie was younger I could trim his nailsso easily. He would just trance out on my lap and it was no problem.Now I can't get him to even come close to trancing and have triedEVERYTHING to get him to be still for one minute to do this. If anyonehas any clever ideas for me I'd be extremely grateful!
He won't stay still!!!

I should also add that he now has just drawn blood!! :X

Now i'm really irritated. He won't do the "burrito" and he won't let mejust stand him up on a high table and lift up each paw. And they're sosharp that he's using them as a weapon!

hey!

sounds like a total pain! i went through a stage about two weeks agowhere my hands and arms and chest were just covered in scratches andcuts! i'm no expert and am fairly new at this but have you tried havingyour bunny nibble on something like a carrot or whatever? that usuallykeeps mine still for at least a little bit while i trim nails orwhatever is needed!

On the subject, seeing as how you seem to have been doing this for awhile, how often do you trim and how short? i seem to have to do itSOoften cos i just trip the very tip cos i'm scared ofhurtingmy bunny!

hope it hels!!!

May!

PS what is the "burrito"? :)

What clippers do you use? I just got a newclippers that is really easy to use, its called a guillotine clippersand you put the part of the nailyou want to cut off through ahole and just close the clippers and it slices off. It isreally handy because if needs be you can use just one hand to do itwithout needing to hold the foot. Havent hit the quick yet.

I have a very nervous rabbit so I tend to tuck his head and shouldersinto my elbow while I do his back legs, and try hold him then so that Ihave his face covered with a sleeve/arm and be holding a front leg withthe hand of that arm, and then use the other hand to clip.

have you tried burritoing him? wraphim up in a towel with his head sticking out and take out one paw at atime? That's what our vet told us to do. Itworksreally well... (too bad it won't work witih the dog!)

hi everyone! man, i am in the same boat as youLbolar. I can NOT cut Rupert's nails. I've tried the burritothing and it JUST DOESN"T WORK... he will KICK AND KICK AND SQUIRM ANDKICK AND KICK AND KICK x 100..... i really dont know what else to do....

When I burrito her I usually sit on the couchwith my knees bent up and her on her back snuggled up there.Sometimes Tim holds her and other times I kind of lay on her on thefloor (gently).

Did the burrito with Marbles before. He'd wakeup from the trance and PANIC. I havea claustrophobic bunny.Oh well. What I do is protect myself from scratches by wearing asweater. I'll need another person to pet his head while I clip away. Itlasts one paw at a time (IFI'm quick)and then I'llhave to give him treats so he'll trust me enough to trance again foranother paw.What a production. Sometimes it takes a week ortwo to clip everything. By the time I'm done, I need to start again.:sigh

Haven't cut Mocha's nails yet since she moved in. We've had problemsbefore but with enough patience and love, she's become such asweetheart. I'm afraid she'll go back to biting and hatingmeif I cut her nails.:(

Latest posts

Back