nail trimming for EL's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash

Reaction score
Last week I got the courage to try to clip Bentley's nails. He hates to be picked up and he's extremely squirmy and big. I finally got a good hold of him and I do all my grooming in the bathroom where it's the best lighting. I tranced him and only got to do the front paws until he had enough and wouldn't stay tranced. I was going to use a pillow next time to make it more secure for him for it's burrito boy.

What do you do with your EL's to clip their nails.

Wow... you tranced him? That's awesome! I've never been able to do that with any of them. Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. If you can trance him, and even do one paw a night, you'd be done in 4 nights. That sounds the least stressful option to me... just thinking the burrito might scare him about nail trims... but dunno for sure. Give him a kiss for me k!! And one for Soph too, and Tori too... :p

When I had my EL's, it would take both me and my sister to get the job done. Usually we would have one of us hold the victim....err I mean bunny...and then the other would trim the nails. Even then it was a task because they can still squirm and wriggle; but it does make it alot easier than trying to hold them, and at the same time trying to clip nails. ;)

Sandra, trancing is actually pretty easy; at least for a seasoned trancer. lol. I'm able to trance pretty much any rabbit I try to trance. ;) It might take a while on the really squirmy ones, but I can still make it happen. lol. A key trick in less wriggly bunnies is to place them inbetween your legs. ;)

Emily

With any bunny, practice. You need practice and your bun needs to get used to it. When I clip my NZW's nails, I sit cross legged and settle him with his head in the crook of my left arm with my left hand restraining his body, while I clip with the right hand.

A second person is very helpful when doing wriggly bunnies, especially if you're not used to doing it much.

With my french lop I sit on the ground and laid her on her back-to trance her- but tuck her body kinda between my legs so shes on the ground and my legs more around her. I do it weekly and she's gotten used to it over time

He's a challenge but if I can get as much as I can then try again later. All my bunnies never had a problem and I'm hoping the more I do the less likely he'll resist.

I spoke to a local groomer and he does bunnies and I told him about my rascal Bentley so that's an option. It seems having a second person around when I decide to trim the nails is hit or miss, everyone lives pretty far away.

Trancing is when you get your bunny on their back while petting them and they get so relaxed you can do anything to them, some have taken a nap while I was grooming them. It takes practice and sometimes people or their bunny will not be very successful.

Sandra gave kisses to all and to yours too Lego and Jaz!

Back