Nail Trimming 101

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Hollands

Reaction score
Rabbit's nails should be trimmed every 4 to 6 weeks. Like humans, nail trimming is painless if done properly and often. Unlike humans, rabbits only have 18 nails (including their dew claws). When trimming your rabbit's nails, be mindful of the kwik and avoid cutting into it. Always cut your rabbit's nails on a 45° angle.

Supplies needed:

Traditional rabbit nail trimmers OR dog nail grinder / dremel
Kwik Stop Styptic Solution

If your rabbit is sensitive, opt for using a dog nail grinder for a more precise trim. It may take a few tries to get the hang of, but combined with nylon to separate the fur from the nails, this works quite well for cutting them as short as possible. Hold the base of the nail between two fingers, as the nail will vibrate and give the rabbit a weird sensation if not held in place! Apply pressure, cutting on the 45° angle. This method also works well for baby bunnies nails (they are teensy and often hard to trim).

A faster method for trimming nails is using traditional clippers. While this way may seem more effective, it is easier to make a mistake and cut the kwik. Try the "press, press, clip" method, as described in the video below - if the rabbit pulls away when you apply pressure to the nail, it is likely you are too close to the kwik and need to adjust the length you take off.

FAQ

What is the best position to hold rabbits in while trimming?
You can either hold them as shown in the video below, on their backs on your lap (with their head above their heart), or have somebody hold your rabbit while you do the trimming. For squirmy bunnies, use a blanket to wrap them in a "bunny burrito".

How do I separate the rabbits fur from the nails?
Take a small piece of nylon and gently push the nails through OR dip the rabbit's paw in a bowl of water. Both of these are foolproof ways to separate the rabbits fur from their nails and make trimming easy!

I don't feel comfortable cutting my own rabbits nails at home. Where can I get them trimmed at?
Many vets will trim your rabbits nails for around $10 (some may include it in annual check-ups). Some pet stores and pet grooming salons normally charge around $5 for the service, but it is very important to make sure they are experienced!

What is the "dew claw"?
The dew claw is basically like the rabbit's thumb. Unlike the rest of the nails, the dew claws are on an angle and sometimes more difficult to cut. There's a total of two, and they are located on the inner front paws. To trim: use the same methods as you would on the other nails.

What is the kwik?
It is basically a little vein that supplies blood to the nail.

My rabbit has dark colored nails. How do I distinguish where the kwik is?
Most rabbits have white nails, making it easy too see the kwik and know where you should trim to. However, some rabbits have dark colored nails which make it near impossible to distinguish where the vessel is! Use a flashlight and shine it through the nail to help you distinguish the location of the kwik.

Help! I cut into the kwik by accident, and now my rabbit is bleeding and seems in pain. What should I do?
It is very important to have kwik powder on hand prior to nail trimming. If you cut too far, you will need to stop the bleeding and prevent the rabbit from additional pain by dipping their nail in the powder. White flour also works in a pinch to stop the bleeding.

Helpful Tutorial:

The linked video is a great one -- I often recommend it!

If one follows the method on the video, one won't need a flashlight for dark nails. The video shows how one uses the rabbit's own feedback to know whether or not the clip will be too short (hit the quick).

How often a rabbit needs its nails trimmed depends totally on the individual rabbit and also the type of surface he/she spends time on. Concrete or other rough surfaces may file down a rabbit's nails naturally. Some can go many months between clippings. So don't be concerned if your rabbit's nails don't seem to need trimmed so often.

Latest posts

Back