nail triming help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola13

Reaction score
So, i think its time to trim zentors nails. its been maybe a month and a half since they were last trimed. (he got it done at the vet) i know i should every month but we had to move by the first so im just now getting seattled in the new place. I have never cut his nails before and am terriflied to do it. he hates being picked up, and we have never tried putting him on his back. whats the best way to cut a buns nails that hates being picked up? also what is a good nail cutting tool to use on a netherland dwarf? one more thing, he has dark nails i heard that using a flash light helps to make sure you dont cut them too short, how well does this really work?

thanks!!!!

I normally get help with my one bunny that hates being held. My partner holds the bunny with her back to his body, paws facing out. I then try to clip as many nails as possible before bunny freaks out and then we put her down so she can calm down, and then repeat until all her nails are done.

I use scissor nail trimmers and I like them alot.

For dark nails, I use the squeeze technique. I gently squeeze on the nail where I want to cut with the clippers, if the bunny does not protest or wiggle, then it is safe to cut. If the bunny pulls there paw when a gentle squeeze is applied, then it is too close to the quick and I move the clippers up the nail a tiny bit. The squeeze also leaves a mark on the nail so you can see where you attempted to cut.

Lots of treats and patients is needed! Don't worry if you can't get all the nails in one sitting. You can do one paw a day or every couple of hours.

-Dawn

Hi Lola!

I have two bunnies- Pippin and Benji. Pippin is easy- I just lay him down on his back gently, between my legs on a soft towell, and he goes into a trance for a few minutes- I only have a certain amount of time though, before he 'snaps' out of it and leaps up, but I've got quite used to my time limit!

Benji, however, is a LOT more tricky- he does NOT like to be turned over. It's funny really, because Pippin doesn't like being picked up- its just something he's always been scared of, but I can trance him easily. Benji is fine with being held high etc. but I can't just turn him onto his back.
What I do is sit him on my lap, facing the same way as me, and just gently stroke him until he relaxes. Then I try and ease a front paw away from him and start clipping. Now he's used to me just easing it away and quickly clipping. Try that.
With the back ones I try this technique too but it doesn't always work, so I have someone just holding the front of him while i really get under his belly to get to his back paws.

He hates being turned over, or being wrapped in a towell and restrained, so I never do it. I found this other technique to work well.

Like aurora said, you don't have to do it all at once.
Try clipping on paw, then stopping and playing, giving him treats and cuddles. An hour later do the other paw.
He'll learn to associate cuddles and treats with nail trimming sessions. As long as it's done in a relaxed and calm environment, with plenty of rewards (this can just be fuss and strokes with lots of ear scratches!!! :) ), he will hopefully get used to it. Patience is the key, I learned after a while!!

I use nail clippers I bought from a vets, but you can use ordinary human nail clippers too if you want. I find the animal nail clippers easier because you can see the quick without having to lean over, because the blade is curved.

For dark nails use the technique Aurora described, but a flash light can work too, depending on the darkness of the nail. Sit in a very light room and make sure nail has access to just the room light and you will probably be able to see too. In time you will just know really how far to cut them, and if they need cutting etc. You don't have to do it monthly- just keep an eye on them and cut them as needed. :)

Good luck with it all

Jen x

I use scissor nail trimmers...we have tried just about every kind and I find that a nice sharp pair of these works best for us!

We bought a small LED flashlight (the kind for clipping to a keychain)...it is flat and easy to hold and when held up to the nail from the side (not top to bottom) it works pretty good...through some odd coincidence most of our kids have black nails...oh joy!;)

For a rabbit that has never been tranced...hmmm.
We tend to have two people present unless we know we are trimming a bunn that is OK with nail trimming and trancing...for our difficult trancers we find a comfy chair, with a towelacross our lap, (cranberries nearby), pick up the bunn and usually go from cuddling and holding it like a baby to having it lying on my lap...if they are difficult to trance instead of keeping my legs at 90degrees to the floor I slope my knees on more of a downward angle (not too much) so bunnys head is angled further down than his body, pinch him between my kneesand gently stroke him nose to forehead until he relaxes...hubby will continue to stroke and talk quietly to him while I start trimming...this way if bunn panics I don't have to drop the flashlight and clippers, I take my hands away and hubby does the calming and re-trances and I go back to the nails.

Another thing you might try...before we were good at trancing...:shock:...hubby would hold the bunn up against his chest feet facing out with their head tucked under his chin. This as odd as it sounds worked really well for our high strung girls...they wouldn't tolerate lying down but were perfecly fine being held this way. And I could stand up and access their feet easily.

We have a large min lop (6-7 pounds of ticked of bunny!) who HATES being held...does not trance and kicks like a mule when we try to do nails! I get him to a lying position on my lap and start clipping while hubby stuffs cranberries into him...granted he tries to bitehubbys fingers while being fed...but he hasn't caught hubby yet!:D

I suggest before clipping trying to hold him a couple different ways and find one that works best for you! Watever way gets the job done easiest, fastest and with the least stress...is perfectly fine! One lady I know just cuddles hers like a baby and clips them like that!
See which one he is most comfortable with! Go from there!:biggrin2:
Good Luck!

Danielle

PS-If you are nervous about cutting the quick...have a styptic powder or something similarnear to hand just in case! The first time I cut a quick I freaked, the rabbit freaked and I had my styptic powder locked up all safe and sound in the first aid kit...tidy but useless! lol

Runestonez wrote:
Danielle

PS-If you are nervous about cutting the quick...have a styptic powder or something similarnear to hand just in case! The first time I cut a quick I freaked, the rabbit freaked and I had my styptic powder locked up all safe and sound in the first aid kit...tidy but useless! lol
That's a good point to make. It bleeds quite a bit and you will probably feel TERRIBLE afterwards but don't worry- everyone has done it once.

Lol Danielle thats hilarious- you were so prepared! That sounds exactly what I would do- be completely prepared with everything I need, all tidy and slotted in its own place, but when I actually have an emergency it's too tidy!!!!! :)

Ive never cut an animals nails before, so it just makes me so scared. my boyfriend is good at holding him so I will have the task of clipiing his nails. :p i hope i dont make my little guy bleed!!! i would feel real bed. i dont think he has ever been tranced, and i dont know how to do it either. he deffinatly kicks if we hold him for too long, well over 5 mins or so. haha. well i will try it today or tomorrow and see what happens. wish me luck.

Good luck! Don't worry- just try all different ways and see what works for you. If he can't trance, try doing it while he's just standing normally- if he doesn't let you then you might have to try with your bf holding and u trimming, but just try different ways and see what works for u and ur bun.

Don't worry about cutting the quick. It's not nice, and a little painful, but don't beat yourself up about it. It happens to everyone, and can happen if your rabbit struggles or snatches his paw away. It can look awful because of the blood- like our tongues and gums bleed like crazy even with a teensy cut- so don't worry.

X

I bought styptic powder at the petstore and it has Benzocaine in it which helps to stop the pain if you nick the quick...it also aleviates some of the guilt involved!;) Portia ripped one of her toenails off and we used it to stop the bleeding and you could see the difference in her almost right away! You could tell she was relieved!

When you cut, be quick and decisive and all will be fine!:)
No worries!
Good Luck!

Danielle

If you are really afraid, best thing to do is just get him stable and cut just the tips. You'll feel better and relieved and it's better than not cutting them at all. Then, so after, if you feel comfortable trying it again, you can trim a bit more.;)

That's what I do, my first bun hated to be held and struggled and jumped badly, that was before I had this forum!:D I've since learned of other ways, but still don't cut too far, haha.;)

Here is a thread from our Library and I think it has a great video towards the end added by Haley:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12075&forum_id=17

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back