Nail clipping...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester1_andblueberry

Reaction score
Chester and blueberry HATE being picked up..and I've seen everywhere you're supposed to clip your rabbits nails... also they don't like to have their feet touched...How can I clip their nails if they don't like being picked up or feet touched?

If you tried you would stress them out so when my buns don't like being touched or feet touched (unlikely) I take them to the vets and let them try and if they can't do it they put them under the gas. I play with my rabbits feet while they are young and get them use to it, note I get them use to it i don't get them to like it! You have to think about this carefully and it can take up to 5 weeks to properly bond them

Many rabbit rescues will clip nails for free. They also do a visual check up of your buns at the same time. Some may charge a very small fee.

Another option is to try the bunny burrito. Basically your wrap your bunny in a towel (like a burrito) with just his/her head sticking out. Then you hold them snuggly while only letting one paw out at a time. Some very difficult bunnies may require the help of a second person so that one can hold while the other clips.

If they don't like being picked up then the safest way to restrain them is to wrap them in a towel. This prevents them from being able to squirm and struggle and also usually calms them down as well. That is the only option for a rabbit that won't just allow someone to hold their paw and trim.
That would be a safer option then putting them under gas multiple times a year just to trim their nails.

This method is also described at the My House Rabbit site:
http://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/clipping-your-rabbits-nails/

I have to burrito one of my difficult buns and get my brother to help me :) The burrito stops her from kicking and hurting herself and people.

As the others mentioned, you could take your buns to a vet or rescue group to get the nails done as well as a health check.

Hope I helped :)

Okay thanks!! I will try the burrito as it was suggested many times!! I'll give an update on how it went..Hopefully he won't hate me ): But it is neccesary

Latest posts

Back