Myxi Cases in Sonoma County, California!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
)naturestee wrote:
Someone on Etherbun reported that a "second set" (I must have missed the post about the first set) of buns have died in Sonoma County, CA due to confirmed myxmatosis. This particular case was in Forestville. This is not the first time that myxi has affected domestic rabbits in California and it also occurs in wild rabbits in Oregon.

Do your best to keep your rabbits safe! Inside is best, but if they are outside protect them from fleas and mosquitoes. Monthly treatments such as Revolution or Advantage will help to keep fleas of off buns. For mosquitoes, put mosquito netting over hutches. Do not encourage wild rabbits to come to your yard as they might carry infected fleas. Outdoor cats might also carry infected rabbit fleas, so make sure your cats are getting preventative flea treatments as well and preferably keep them inside.

No vaccine is available in the US.

For more info on myxi in California:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/myxo.html

Do you think my bunnies are safe in a shed!? They dont have fleas, but I will check them tomorrow to be sure. I know that there are wild bunnies in my area because when we first moved here my dog killed a baby :)nonono:). So it may be possible that the wild ones have Myxi?

Emily

Oh jeez... it's only a matter of time before Myxi spreads. I've been very paranoid - digging through my hay, checking my guys over for fleas.

I've been using Advantage for my guys. I give them a quarter of the dose, and it kills everything within 3 weeks. My friend is a vet tech, and she told me that she learned something in her class about Advantage being the better adult flea killing than Revolution. I dunno.. something about those lines.

Latest posts

Back