MyRabbits' Warren and Cat Haven

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyRabbits

Reaction score
Life is good with so many pets. I have no complaints. The cats and rabbits all get along, with the occasional exception of The Whale. The Whale is a cross-eyed cat who unfortunately was declawed in her youth. When other animals approach her, she becomes easily confused and threatened, seeing more of them than there actually are, and she hisses and makes menacing growls, but fundamentally she's harmless, lounging now on the coffee table in front of me.

Suzette is our newest rabbit. We just acquired her Sunday at a two-day show in Cortland, New York. The first day of the show, her littermates beat her and she placed third in her class so her owner was willing to sell her to us. On Sunday, however, she beat her littermates to win best of class and very nearly won Best of Variety. The Senior Doe who beat her out for Best of Variety went on to win Best of Show. So we feel that we have chosen our breeding stock well.

Suzette seems to be settling in pretty well. As Sam, our Flemish Giant buck and the other three rabbits -- spayed females -- are house rabbits, we have needed to keep Suzette segregated in a cage. (She won't be ready to breed for another three months). We have her on the covered second storey porch, where she seems quite content but maybe also a little bit lonely. She enjoys going out into the pen in our yard to exercise, and she also likes getting her few sprigs of kale that we give the rabbits in the evening.

Yesterday I weighed Suzette -- 13 pounds, 9 ounces, and today is her six-month anniversary. She is doing really well. I was disappointed today to find two fleas on her. I have contacted the vet about possibly giving her Revolution or another rabbit product.

It's hard for me to believe it is already Wednesday. The show was so exciting I have resisted getting back into my routine. I just want it to be rabbits, rabbits, rabbits all the time.

Your bunnies sound beautiful. As does The Whale (I didn't want to leave her out lest she growl in my direction :p).

I would absolutely love to have a flemish giant some day. Of course, that day needs to be a long, long way off, but a girl can have dreams, right?! Is sandy the same color as fawn? Or are they different? Maybe some pictures are in order (hint, hint).

I can't wait to hear and see more about your "warren" and "haven." I'll have to definitely keep my eye on this thread.

You foster bunnies. How wonderful!!! I hope they are all in good health.

Sandies have a brown color with black ticking or agouti. Fawns are a honey brown. They are closely related though. Apparently many sandies have fawn in their bloodline and will throw a litter than has fawns in it. . .

Thanks for dropping by.

Hmmm, pictures. I don't know how to load them directly. How about a couple of links to my Flickr account? Here is Sam at the rabbit show, age 10 1/2 months, in his exhibition pen:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3093/2839203919_840056d10e_o.jpg

And here is a picture of me and Sam when we bought him at 9 weeks:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2071/2196620618_3983ed13df_o.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of our new six-month-old doe, Suzette, in her cage on the covered second storey porch:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3027/2840039962_d2859b2305_o.jpg

So today is Thursday, and, as usual, Dorcas is already out in the yard pen enjoying a beautiful fall day, cool and clear with a gentle sun. She gets to stay there until about noon, when it becomes Suzette's turn. Suzette gets about four hours and then Sam and the Girls (Jemimah and Maddie) finally get their spin late into the evening. Since Sam is very messy and even gets Jemimah and Maddie dirty, grooming time occurs when we bring Sam and the Girls in in the evening. Sam does not like to be groomed particularly, he is a rather willful young buck, but the others like it just fine.

Lots of errands to run today. I need to go over to the feed store in West Va., about a half hour away, to pick up the Cowboy Magic I ordered. I learned about this product at the rabbit show. Made for horses but safe for rabbits, it's a great urine and stain remover, and you don't have to bathe them. I am hoping that this will greatly simplify our grooming issues.

I will also stop at WalrusMart on the way home and get a spray bottle and some apple juice. Dorcas, Sam and the Girls do not eat enough hay. The vet has noticed that Dorcas even has the start of little points on her teeth as a result. (Suzette adores hay and eats it properly.) So my husband heard that you could spray the hay lightly with apple juice to entice the rabbits. That sounded like a good strategy so we will try it.

We're pretty low on hay, but the hay from OxBow should be delivered shortly. I am rather embarrassed -- we live out in the country with people all around us farming and selling hay. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just contact a local vendor and get it absolutely fresh. I guess that's what we'll do the next time around.

By the way, does anyone know much about oat hay? It is the only hay that Jemimah will eat, and she will eat tons of the heads (but not the remaining straw). Is this equivalent to timothy hay, or is it actually some decadent treat that she should only occasionally get?

Anyway, have a good day all. The bunnies (and cats) send their regards.

He is so perfect. I had a flemish named Samantha.

100_8331.jpg

For posting pictures we just use the image code. Not surehow flicker works I have photobucket.

Samantha looks like a beauty. You seem to have quite a large family of rabbits. I'll have to track down your blog. I'm still getting oriented to everything here.

Well, it has been a while since we have posted. We have been quite busy. While all the rabbits are doing well, four of the cats are having serious diarrhea. Originally, the diarrhea was limited to the older "Class of 1996" littermates so we thought it was something genetic and relating to food allergies. However, now Piper, who does not belong to that litter is really suffering with it as well so something seems to be going around. The affected cats are in isolation until they complete their 10-day medicine regimen. I just hope all that clears up before my parents visit in another couple of weeks! I want the house, rabbits, and cats to all be at their best for my folks.

We are learning, learning all the time. We joined ARBA and the other day received its Official Guide Book: Raising Better Rabbits and Cavies. This book has really opened up my eyes on a number of issues, not the least of which is that by free feeding my rabbits on a regular basis, I have not necessarily done them a favor.

We learned that the nearest Rabbit Breeders Ass'n sanctioned by ARBA is not in Maryland but across the state line in Charles Town/Ranson, West Virginia. Their next meeting is a week from this evening. I doubly look forward to attending because ARBA so strongly advises that you get to know other successful local breeders so you can learn to deal speicifically with the demands of the local climate. My contact at the Blue Ridge Rabbit and Cavy Club sent me the minutes from the last meeting -- I learned there that the club puts on two shows a year as well. The next one won't be until June, but that should be a lot of fun -- the judging is at night -- the Midnight Madness Show.

Finally, in the recent past, I lost a close friend to an untimely death from bipolar disorder. His name was Kevin Lane Greim, and he was only 28 years old. I went back up to New Jersey for visitation and the memorial service and will attempt to post a picture here, a picture that I have already on Flickr. I miss not having Kevin just a phone call away. We spoke about every other week. It's hard to accept that he is no longer with us.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2883897332_2f9a1087ce_b.jpg

MyRabbits wrote:
Finally, in the recent past, I lost a close friend to an untimely death from bipolar disorder. His name was Kevin Lane Greim, and he was only 28 years old. I went back up to New Jersey for visitation and the memorial service and will attempt to post a picture here, a picture that I have already on Flickr. I miss not having Kevin just a phone call away. We spoke about every other week. It's hard to accept that he is no longer with us.

((hugs))

How are you all doing/coping?

MyRabbits wrote:

I am so sorry.

Thank you for your condolences. The amazing thing about Kevin was the sunniness of his personality. He tended toward the manic/euphorically psychotic side of the bipolar spectrum. It is that same sunniness that stays with his memory and makes me feel not so alone after all. . .

We are all doing well. I attended the October meeting of Blue Ridge Rabbit & Cavy Club near Ranson, West Va. and signed me and Scott up as members. The various initiatives to get Dorcas and the other house bunnies to eat more hay as a regular part of their diet seem to be working, and I have had the welcome opportunity to read a number of books on rabbit care and veterinary needs. The emergency cat/rabbit first aid kit is pretty nearly complete. Most recently I ordered an otoscope for it. Now I just need to get the vet or his tech to give me a little more training in the different things I can listen for with the stethoscope and in what to look for with the otoscope.

It's hard to believe that we are already into October. The big bunny event for us this month is the local House Rabbit Society's celebration of the organization's 20th Anniversary. Although we are now starting a breeding program of which HRS would disapprove, we still sport HRS vanity license plates and are proud to be a part of their animal rescue, education and welfare efforts. We just wish they would modify their hardline spaying/neutering to the House Rabbit side of the fence, recognizing that there are legitimate reasons for breeding, including healthy bloodlines. Also in October, my parents come to visit for nearly a week. I think they are quite curious to meet the menagerie we have. They were not able to make it here for the wedding in May due to Mom's sudden need to undergo radiation therapy for her lymphoma. Fortunately, everything went well with the treatments and she is back up to full speed.

We look ahead to November, when there will be two local shows here in Maryland where we plan to enter both Suzette and Sam. We acquired Suzette when she was at the top of the Junior category. In the first November show she will be a 6/8; by the second November show she will already be a senior. They grow up so fast!

Finally, age is catching up with me. I find a pair of reading glasses is very useful reading labels at the grocery store, playing the piano and working at the computer. This is all such a surprise to me. It happened all of a sudden!

Hoping you are all well.

Hi MyRabbits,

This is the first time I'm reading your thread (I tend to miss a lot of posts/threads in the forum :?). First, I wanted to express my condolences at the loss of your friend; how I wish we didn't have to lose loved ones. :hug:

And I wanted to say that your bunnies are gorgeous! Holy moley, I looked at the pic of Sam when he was 9 weeks old...:shock:! Big boy!! LOL...he's triggered that 'wanna Flemish' fever in me again. Would love to see a picture of your kitty, The Whale (love the name!). I'm not sure how Flickr works, but I use Photobucket to upload pics and find it easy to post them here (for it to be easy for me to figure out, it has to be really easy!). I look forward to seeing more of your furry crew.

btw, my name's Di and I'm owned by two rabbits - Yofi and Anna (Yofi being the #$%$disturber of the bunch) - Kaya, a dog who looks like a dingo and acts like a fool, and one big ol' blue/grey cat, Fritz. Until recently I had two kitties, but Tasha was 16 and ill, so we said goodbye a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, just wanted to say a belated and hearty welcome to the forum!!! I hope your mom and dad have a wonderful visit with you (Hugs to your mom for undergoing radiation...I know how tiring that can be on the body), and best of luck in the upcoming shows. :D

~Di

P.S. I can totally relate to the glasses thing...I've worn glasses since grade 4, but a few years ago began wearing contacts. They're great...except now I have to wear reading glasses over them to see any fine print, or when I'm on the computer at work. Can't get away from the danged things! :p

Thanks for the favorable comments on the pictures. It's good to learn about your menagerie as well. My condolences on the recent loss of your 16-year-old kitty. I know that can leave a real hole in your heart.

Hmmm, let me see what I can do about finding a picture of Whale. Here's one of Whale resting on my pillows (that cat!) while Ben (our departed, dearly beloved Flemish Giant) plays on the bed:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2891620043_2e7159b089_o.jpg

Suzette and I had quite a photo shoot in the bedroom and guest room the other day, waiting for a storm to pass us by outside. This girl really has me wrapped around her long ears. I hope you enjoy these photos:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2902368643_9cfd0c533c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2903203066_a806d79176_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2902359253_1d07d36cc9_b.jpg

Have a good day. I'm off to Hagerstown to go do Democratic Party/Obama Campaign training on how to be a "neighborhood leader". I think I will at least be coming home with a sign to put in the yard.

Wow! I cannot believe so much time has passed since I last posted! I hope everyone and their bunnies and other menagerie remain well, healthy and happy!

Today is Election Day, but, equally as important, today is the day that Sam and Suzette are allowed to breed. Making history alongside Obama. Now that's all right!

We went through a brief phase of having several cats with diarrhea, which was a real stinking mess! One of them still has diarrhea, and the vet doesn't know what to think but may next recommend an intestinal biopsy, which none of us are looking forward to. We have tried everything else so far that the vet could recommend. . .

The rabbits are doing great! Dorcas is executing a lot of binkies lately, even though she is a stately 6 years old; Maddie, Jemimah and Sam have discovered miniwheats as treats; and Suzette becomes more and more comfortable being around us. Right now Sam and Suzette are getting the most attention, due to its being time to breed them, but I try to keep things steady so that there aren't any sibling rivalries or hurt feelings. We started building a beautiful outdoor hutch for Suzette and her kits based on the inside model used at Windwood in Cortland, NY. The hutch is just palatial -- I can already see Suzette enjoying running around in it with her energetic kits. We do still need to build the nestbox but have a really good design from the National Federation of Flemish Giant Breeders handbook that we will probably use. I just can hardly wait for those kits to arrive, but I guess it's a good thing that it takes Suzette a while to produce them so that we do have time to finish the hutch and nestbox.

This is a rabbit-y week. Thursday night is the monthly rabbit club meeting and Sunday is a show to which we will take Sam and Suzette. They are both a little below optimal weight right now, but that's because I am always learning more about rabbit diet and conditioning. Better preparation in the future. There's so much to learn and then apply wisely.

Have a good day and give your bunnies a pat from the bunny gang.

Your blog is very nice! I can't wait to see pics of those little bunnies! Sam and Suzette are gorgeus! I'd love to see a picture of the cage once you are finished with it.

Well, what an eventful day yesterday and last night were for our country! I am quite relieved that Obama won. Now it will be interesting to see if he is able to transfer the momentum of the grassroots political campaign into a truly participatory democracy, shaking up change in Washington, D.C.

Last night, after Obama's acceptance speech, Scott and I put Sam and Suzette together for breeding. It was interesting. Sam is only accustomed to rabbits that are substantially smaller than him -- 4 1/2-pound Dorcas, 5-pound Maddie, and 5 1/2 pound Jemimah. He seemed a bit bashful around the large and glorious Suzette. (As a Flemish Giant doe, Suzette does outweigh Sam by the typical 1 pound -- she is just under 14 pounds, while he is just under 13 pounds). But, bashful and tentative as he initially was, Sam seems to "have gotten the job done". How we are looking forward to that rolicking hutchful of kits in another month!

Sometime ago I put an animal first aid kit together, which included a stethoscope. I am wondering how any days it will take before I can hear little heartbeats in Suzette's womb.

Yesterday I also took Jemimah in for a check up with the vet. I was concerned that she was working on a hairball -- her coat is not as glossy the last two months, her non-cecotrope droppings are not as dry as they should be, and she seems uncomfortable in the gut when I pick her up. But the vet says that hairballs in rabbits were largely a misunderstanding by the veterinarian community -- it is normal for rabbits to have hair in their guts from grooming. The real question is whether there is GI stasis, slowing or halting of peristalsis in the digestive tract. Since she had not lost her appetite and did not have serious bowel problems, the vet ruled out a hairball right away. We will try her on a slightly higher fiber diet and see if that doesn't help the moist droppings, and the vet took a blood sample which he should get back to me on today. I had wanted to get blood screening done for Jemimah, Maddie and Dorcas anyway -- House Rabbit Society recommends that over the age of four years, you should do an annual blood test. Rabbits are so prone to hide any adverse symptoms they are experiencing, lest it make them more vulnerable to a predator, that often serious problems with liver or kidneys go undetected for too long and the vet is not ultimately able to help the rabbit. Because trips in the car to see the vet can cause sufficiently significant stress to alter blood readings, it has been difficult for the vet community to establish standard readings for rabbit blood test results. The best thing to do is to establish an annual baseline against which you can compare test results in subsequent years. Jemimah and Dorcas are already nearly 6 1/2 years old, and Maddie is 4 1/2 years old so it is about time that we started doing the annual blood tests. I will be asking the vet for a copy of the results to keep in my own records for my own study.

Today hopefully, I can get an appointment with our local pet groomer. I would like her to help me brush a few mats out of Sam so he will look good for the show on Sunday. Also, one of cats, our only long-haired cat, had stopped grooming when she got diarrhea. Scott and I were not quick enough about starting to brush her ourselves and now she is covered in disheveled mats. I think she'll feel much better once the groomer helps clean up her coat.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by. I do hope to post some more pictures of Sam and Suzette in the near future, and then, of course, in a little while there will be a whole litter of kits to photo and videorecord. I hope all your bunnies are doing well, and the menagerie sends their heartfelt greetings. Have a good day.

MyRabbits

Latest posts

Back