Myia's Bunny Blog 2011

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
Hello guys! It has been *months* since I have posted..but new year, new blog! :)

About me: I am a senior at Arizona State University. My graduating major is Women and Gender studies, with a focus on Women's History. I have a minor in U.S History. I work at Guthrie, as provider for special needs children and adults. I live in Arizona, and I love the desert and the heat :)

I have a huge "zoo!" It is full of all sorts of animals. I usually talk about them all. So it isn't so much a bunny blog..but and animal blog!

My Bunnies:

Chewbacca (aka Chewy). She is an almost 2 year old tort lionhead that was a "petstore" rescue. She is my heart bunny.
Then there is Anakin, Chewy's bondmate. He is a 1 year old smoke lionhead/angora mix. He is super independent, but his fluff and cuteness makes up for it!

IMG_1039.jpg

Then, the devil himself, Kinobe. Almost 2 year old holland lop full of energy and trouble!

IMG_1056.jpg

Then I have two Chinchillas, Valentine and Casanova. They are adorable animals, but not for everyone!
1004.jpg

1018.jpg

I also have a Fat Hammie! He is pretty old, but still kicking it! :)
1020.jpg

I also have three female mice..but I have no group photo!

I also have a new addition most people here on RO haven't seen..my newest baby, Wyatt. He is a cat from Nine Lives Rescue! He is a super friendly, loveable thing!
sugar.jpg

Now..that is the mammals. LOL. Now for the reptiles!

I have 3 African Fat tails. 1 male stripe, 1 female stripe, and 1 female normal.
aft.jpg

aft3.jpg

I also have 3 Leopard geckos. A male Mack Snow Engima, female Super Snow Eclipse, and a female Blazing Blizzard
gecko16.jpg

59883_1494610018779_1639937752_1192033_4175024_n.jpg

gecko9.jpg

I have 3 snakes. 1 corn snake, and 2 grey banded king snakes.
IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

AND FINALLY 1 crested gecko!
crestedgeckos.jpg

:shock:

Hahaha, I guess you never really realize what you have until you list it out!
I hope to bring you guys lots of adorable stories and updates! :)

Nice to see you around the blog section again!

Your animals are all adorable, as always. Congrats on all your new additions! I'm looking forward to hearing more stories about all of them.

Thanks guys :)

So, we adopted Wyatt from Nine Lives on Wednesday.
We had actually fostered an adorable bengal cat, Padme. She came from a not so good situation...she was not getting proper food, and was mostly outdoors.

Sure enough, like we expected, she wasn't good with the chinchillas. Fine with the buns, but not the chins. I was able to find her a good home in quick enough time where it was no problem. Here is a photo of her:

kitty.jpg

Well anyways, it made me really want a cat of my own. So we decided to look around. After literally NO LUCK, we stumbled about Wyatt at a Petco adoption center and it was perfect.

She was on some type of Cosco diet, and the adoption lady said it was close to Science Diet. After 3 days of pretty much not eating..I finally switched to Wellness. He CHOWED it down!

The best part is that him and Kinobe get along so well!

friends.jpg

Well I will update on the Chinchillas tomorrow!

Wyatt is such pretty kitty. I wish I could have a cat, but Chris is allergic to them.

Oh Chris' aunt and uncle have two bengal cats, both rescues. They are sooo pretty!

Wellness is good stuff! I don't know much about cats, but Kit eats Wellness Core and he does amazing on it. I've tried to switch him to other (cheaper) brands and he just never does as well on anything else, I always end up going back to Wellness.

Petco's Rabbit Rally was horrible :(
I was the only one who showed up. Then some lady had the audacity to ask me if she could adopt...then proceeded to tell me she breeds for meat to eat herself. I got it on audio video..but the file is too large to send. I am so depressed it isn't even funny. Finally, I stayed calm and I said "I can't give you that information since you breed for meat."

Why can't people adopt? I understand a lot of beginners (including myself) don't because of stupid reasons..but I feel like if I were to have the education I would have more than Kinobe. Chewy is a "rescue" if you count taking her out of those horrible conditions. Anyway, it is depressing. I have photos though.

rabbitrally.jpg

My silly makeshift sign
rabbitrally1.jpg

The pen was small, but it is all I had
rabbitrally2.jpg

Dragonrain wrote:
Wyatt is such pretty kitty. I wish I could have a cat, but Chris is allergic to them.

Oh Chris' aunt and uncle have two bengal cats, both rescues. They are sooo pretty!

Wellness is good stuff! I don't know much about cats, but Kit eats Wellness Core and he does amazing on it. I've tried to switch him to other (cheaper) brands and he just never does as well on anything else, I always end up going back to Wellness.
Yeah I love Wellness. It really isn't too expensive, in reality. Unless you feed like Wal Mart food :p Then I am sure comparatively it is lol.

I am having a hard time not feeding wet food from wellness. I am a sucker for wet food but everyone keeps telling me "Only as a treat!" LOL.

[align=center]I was the only one who showed up for my Petco's rabbit rally as well. I can't believe they made a dog adoption event on the same Saturday.. I'm sorry that stupid lady came up and said that stuff to you. I hate people like that. =/

For our sign, we taped a Great Lakes Rabbit Sanctuary brochure to the table we sat at (it had a big picture of a bunny). We didn't have a pen for Silas. We had a leash and harness.. =P He's so laid back and friendly- even with all the dogs barking he took a nap in my lap and hopped around a bit. Showed a lot of interest in some kids that sat by him.

My veterinarian actually showed up- not expecting us to be there XD I should have took pictures.. =P

So did anyone show interest in adopting besides that evil lady?

Where were you in the Petco? We were right in front of the door =O

Yeah, I was afraid that if I showed Kinobe as a holdable, adorable, soft rabbit it would reinforce the stereotype that rabbits like to be held and stuff lol!

No, nobody showed interest. I talked to some people about rescue and adoption, but they were not interested. :/

We were off the the right in the small animal department.

Myia09 wrote:
Why can't people adopt? I understand a lot of beginners (including myself) don't because of stupid reasons..but I feel like if I were to have the education I would have more than Kinobe. Chewy is a "rescue" if you count taking her out of those horrible conditions. Anyway, it is depressing. I have photos though.
Hmmm so when I took at my 2010 blog, I feel horrible. I did do a lot of stupid things I don't even think I would do now. I wanted to get a brown velvet from my chins..what a stupid idea. I also notice I get super excited, but at least I don't ever actually do it. At least I sit down for awhile, and even if it is a bad idea, I don't do it. It has only been 1 year but it is amazing how things change. I want to stop and apologize for all my stupid behavior (Or my "wants."I don't think I actually did any of it)

It really is funny how your perspective changes. I guess acutally volunteering and being involved has changed my life so dramatically.

Update on the Chinchillas :)

I got the Chinchillas some special chinchilla wheels for each of them :) They are expensive, but worth the investment.
newcage.jpg

I also got them some adorable hay boxes!
haybox.jpg

I had tons of problem with the lady I bought them from..my package took a month to arrive. It was insane!

The Chinchillas are good. They still fight, so they are separated.

So I am in the process of ordering the FN 142 third level. I will switch out every 2 weeks who gets the 2 level cage.

Here is the link so you get a picture of what I mean.
http://www.ferretnation.net/products-page/ferret-nation-cages/ferret-nation-143/

This is one of those things you need to prepare for when you have chins (or even rabbits!)

Myia09 wrote:
Yeah, I was afraid that if I showed Kinobe as a holdable, adorable, soft rabbit it would reinforce the stereotype that rabbits like to be held and stuff lol!

No, nobody showed interest. I talked to some people about rescue and adoption, but they were not interested. :/

We were off the the right in the small animal department.

[align=center]When people talked to me and showed interest, I made sure they knew that most of the bunnies at the rescue were shy and need a lot of work. =]

Aww =[ I wish people would show more interest.. But serious interest. Not "I want a cute bunny wabbit" interest.

One little girl was like "CAN I HAVE IT!?" about Silas and I was like "He's mine! :X"

Yeah I love Wellness. It really isn't too expensive, in reality. Unless you feed like Wal Mart food :p Then I am sure comparatively it is lol.
I don't know anything about the cat version, but Kit's Wellness Core Ocean is like $16 for a 4 lb bag. But 4 lbs doesn't last a 15 lb dog very long so I usually get the 12 lb bag, which usually lasts maybe a bit over a month and costs me $39. There are quite a few other high quality dog foods that are cheaper - I would never feed WalMart food or anything like that! But Kit has grain allergies, so he needs grain free. He's also allergic to chicken, which means I can't give him the cheaper version of Wellness Core.

It's worth it though. He loves his food and does amazing on it!! :)

Dang! I realized I was being stupid though..my bag is 2lb and was $10!

I went online, and yeah for a 12lb bag it is $34.

But I think I would still feed Wellness or I would feed Blue Buffalo. They both have great ingredients. Although I hate every Blue Buffalo Rep I have ever met. My petsmart when I worked at one went through 5. All of them insane. LOL.

It is funny how in a year one person can come a long way. I think that being able to see what mistakes you have made on your own in a huge sign of growth.

So, I am switching the rabbits food from Purina Show to Oxbow Timothy Pellets.

There are a couple of reasons. I have NEVER had a problem with PANR..it is a great food, and it is cost effective. It is also a high quality (and preferred) chinchilla food, so I have been able to be cost effective in that way. However, PANR is alfalfa based, which is not preferred for adult rabbits. Second, my rabbits seem to eat a lot of pellets, so switching to timothy pellets is the best choice. I will also be switching their hay from timothy to mainly Mountain grass, which occasional hay treats (Such as oat, alfalfa, ect)

The biggest problem I face, is of course, the cost. Oxbow is terribly expensive. Three times more expensive that PANR. The other problem lays is that the only non petsmart (where it is very expensive and only comes in small quantities) is from a rescue store that I cannot go to (For various reasons) However, I think I have solved that problem for my friend can purchase these items at the store for me. Or, I can order them online.

I am keeping the Chinchillas on PANR.

So this is how feeding goes:

Wyatt (kitty)- Wellness Kitten
Chewy, Anakin, Kinobe (Buns)-Oxbow
Valentine, Casanova (Chins)-PANR
Mice, Fat Hammie-On my own mix that I create
Reptiles-Mostly on an all mealworm diet (and crested gecko diet for the crestie)

Back