My two new lionheads--just got them today :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mewlingcricket

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!! In addition to two lionheads due any day, and a ND due on Monday, today after selling several of the bunnies I didn't want to work with, I also purchased two new lionheads. They are (I am told) Sable Point Martens. (I don't get the difference between a sable point and a sable point marten, but ?????)

Anyway.....what do you think

Alice

12828_312052_210000000.jpg

Sookie

12828_312052_220000001.jpg

They are sisters and are 9 weeks old

They are VERY cute but for some reason I do not see sable point at all :?
They look too "fawn" like orangy cream colored to me to be in the smoke group.
But that's IMO...

I have been curious about my bunny Felix for a little while now and have been researching sable point coloring on rabbits for some time now as everyone told me thats what his coloring was, but I have not seen ANY the color of your bunnies being called a sable point OR sable point marten... They just don't look it to me form what I have seen...
But I could be wrong. I don't know much about coloring, Im just saying what I think by personal experience.

Someone come in here and tell us what color these guys are! :biggrin:

Regardless, you got some cute new bunnies! :nod

edit: forgot to type something..

I agree with the sable point-esq deal. They do appear shaded, and the best guess is sable point to me.

I don't believe there's a "sable point marten" since marten generally comes from a gene that's more dominate than shaded... However, I believe when the tan pattern comes into play, that can create the eye circles and belly color. (Therefore, I do hear the term "martenized" a lot. If it's specifically -marten- I don't know.)

I think this is a good question for Pam.

EDIT: proved myself wrong with a little research.
I am right about it tan pattern, and more of an 'otter' than a 'marten'.

Sable point marten/otter:
at- B- cchl* D- ee
Like a non extension sable marten, which is what I'd assume you'd get them from?

Ya, I'd definately say Sable Point Marten. The difference between a Sable Point and a Sable Point Marten is that Martens have white eye circles/nose/belly/triangle behind ears/ear lacing while a Sable Point does not.

Latest posts

Back