My Two Dutchs just had babies, Now what?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe.G

Reaction score
I have Two Show Quality Steel Dutch's, The the first litter didn't make it, They were dead when I woke up in the morning, The second Batch one Died and I have 5 That have been alive for over a week and are looking real nice, I moved the dad to a different cage and left the mom with them, I have two Steel, two black and white and one all white.

I had this batch because I have a few friends that liked mine and had asked for some, 2 of the children in my Home are in 4 H and are doing rabbit stuff soon.

So Now that they are alive and well do you guys have any tips or pointers? What do you guys do with your babies? do you sell them? if so how? At what age can I send them to there new homes? I am going to give these ones away, but how much can I get for them if I were to sell them ?

I don't plan to make this a habit and am not going to become a bunny breeder I have enough stuff to do already and if I was going to do it I would want to do it a 100 % correct and I know in the dog world it takes a lot of time and money to do it right, I am unsure if the bunny world is the same or not.

Your kids can't use the young ones in 4-H? Does usually wean their litters between 4-6 weeks of age. It would be best if youkept themuntil they are about 7-8 weeks old.I can't helpyou on prices, it just depends on your area. You could look online and get an idea what dutch are going for. We have show quality rabbits and don't normally sell ours as pets.

I know they can't use the little ones that is why we have the parents. So at about two months I can send them to there new homes? What would be a fair price in your area?

In my area rabbits go for about $10 no matter what breed unless they are giants, then they go for about $25.

I have sold Californian rabbits for anywhere from $5 to $150. I have friends that sell some of their rabbits for over $200 each. I think that it depends on the quality of the rabbits (show, pet, brood, meat etc..) I normally sell pet quality for $20. I would take the litter box out when the babies are 2 weeks. I would remove the babies from their mom when they are 6-8 weeks old. I then leave the babies together for a few days to a week. Then I seporate them by sex and keep them like this until they go to their new homes (I make sure to leave them like this for at least a few days). I do the gradual seporation because I beleave it is less stresfull for the babies.

Latest posts

Back