My sow is pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marbleandloz

Reaction score
Hi my name is lorna (loz) I am quite new to thesite but still getting on great with everyone. I am so happyas one of my sows (female guineapig) ispregnant!She isa abi x peruvian. She was breed to a cream and whitesheltie.

I am a very experienced breeder and have homeslined up if I dont sell them then I am prepared to keep them, ive beenbreeding for years, i breed pedigree show quailty cavies, but becausethis is rhino's first litter ive breed her with an experienced sheltieboar, next time i will probably either breed her with an aby orperuvian and the chances of her producing showable babies is high ifbreed to a good boar!!!

Thank you for your imput though.

lorna

Out ofallmy sows, only onehad to have a c-section and she and her babys are alive. Ive had noother problems and lots of joy!! You do have to breed responsibly andproperly, you must breed a sow before she is 10 months old, or herpelvic bones become to tight to open then she will need a c-section,some people say their bones fuse, this is not the case they justtighten as the sow gets older, they have to open before the birth! Ihave been quite lucky.

Glad to hear you know what you're doing, congratulations:colors:, and good luck with the babies (are they called piglets?:?)

Be sure to let us know when they arrive and post pictures, I'd love to see baby guinea pigs!:bunnydance:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

update

She is feeling alotfirmer but I am keeping her with the boar just incase she is not pregnant!

She has been with him about 4 weeks now and dont worry the gestation period is 2 and a half months for guineapigs.

That is the worst idea. If she IS pregnant, andgives birth without the boar being removed she can be backbred. Whichcould killl her. If you are so experienced at breeding you would knowthat.

I'm sorry if that seems harsh. I just have strong feelingsabout breeding. There are too many "mutt" pigs in shelters as it is.And if you get her backbred and killed it would be a tragedy.

So are there a lot of Guinea Pigs in shelterstoo? Gosh, I cannot imagine seeing a guinea pig in a shelter here, I'veyet to find a rabbit in one nearby!

I think Lorna is just keeping the boar in for a while so the sow isn'tlonely, until she's sure she's pregnant maybe? I think she's planing ontaking him out before she reaches the 2 and a halfmonths:)Wow, that is so much longer than rabbits! Are guineapigs born almost fully developed, like with fur and eyes opened I mean?

Michaela and thegirls:brownbunny:candycane::brownbunny:candycane::brownbunny:candycane:

binkies - THE GESTATION PERIOD IS TEN WEEKS SHEHAS BEEN IN WITH HIM FOR FOUR WEEKS! She is at least six weeks awayfrom giving birth the reasonI have left her with the boar isbecause im not sure if she is pregnant yet, theres no point in takingher out and then having to put her back in because she wasn'tpregnant!!! answer me this! Are you a breeder?? Because you seemagainst breeding and are trying to tell me that what im doing is wrongand that a sow can die from being back-bred you would only know this ifyou had the experience yourself! would you not? This is my sisterscomment she is a qualified VET!

Backbreeding is when the sow gets pregnant again after birth, this canhappen becausewithin 12hours of kindling the sowgoes into heat,so itis advised that you remove theboar way before you think the sow is due, as she will already befeeding one litter and will be quite weak as a guinea pigs pregnancyreally takesa toll on the sowsbody, A sow couldpossible die from this, but not just back-breeding alone, Because theycan get stressed and are weak they are suspectible to problem e.gpregnancy toxemia and other pregnancy related problems. This would onlyhappen with irresponsible breeders or people who dont relise their sowis pregnant...my sister is neither of these people! Ive seen a fewcases of back breeding in female guinea pigs, non ended in tragedy,thank god.P.S i also breed guinea pigs and rabbits.

michaela- Thank you for sticking up for me youare totally right as I have explained to binkies in my previousmessage. The answer to your question is yes they are born fullydeveloped e.g fur, eyes open and running around with in minutes afterbirth.

Despite what binkiessays I am still very enthusiastic and cant wait for my sow to have her first litter.

She is very pretty. Reminds me of my Candy.

MottleyandCandy002.jpg

What a sweetie! I've had guinea pigs in the past:D. Rhino looks like my old girl Toby :D. I'd love to get a guinea pigagain, but I'm loaded down with the girls, so not anytime soon!

You sound very knowledgeable and responsible. :). Be sure to post some pictures of the litter please :).

sounds so risky.... :?i'd be tooworried about all the problems that the others have mentioned; i'm notexperienced in the area at all. i leave the breeding up to theprofessionals lol as with dogs i've learned howexperiencedbreeders don't breed unless they are trying to improve the breed aswell as the bloodlines, not just because they want babies.. so sad thatso many are in shelters, that breaks my heart :(

I remember my guinea pig having babies when Iwas about 7 or so... we'd been sold either two 'boys' or two'girls', I can't remember which, but it turned out that my guinea pig,Spice, was pregnant off my brother's guinea pig, Squeaky... and we hada lovely little litter of piglets :D They're so cute when they'resmall! They're just perfect little miniature piggies...

We kept two female babies and gave two away. I'm guessing my mum musthave had Squeaky fixed, because we never had any more little ones afterthat! Your Rhino really reminded me of my Spice... she was atri-colored (white, ginger and chocolate) smooth haired pig,Squeaky was black and white smooth haired - I can't remember if he wastri-coloured as well.

Latest posts

Back