My scary experience

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceBunny

Reaction score
**I want to share this story to remind people to always be careful and alert, I was incredibly lucky but this could have easily turned into a nightmare.**

I recently went through a very scary experience with my bunny Alice. Alice is an indoor rabbit that spends most of her time free roaming in our house when she isn't sleeping in her pen. We have large yard that is completely surrounded with a wood fence but a few days ago someone didn't shut the back door completely. One of our dogs was outside and managed to push the door open to come in without us noticing for about half an hour. When someone noticed the door was open we shut it and I didn't think much of it. Several minutes later I realized that I hadn't seen Alice in a while and after a quick sweep through some of her favorite indoor hiding places we realized that she had gone out the open door.

I ran outside and checked everywhere in our yard that a rabbit could possibly be hiding but it was too late. In just a few minutes she had managed to find the smallest gap at the bottom of our fence and she was gone. I spent that entire day searching for her in my neighborhood. We knocked on the doors of all our neighbors asking them if we could search under their porches and sheds but I never found her. We called all of the shelters in town asking them to contact us if someone happened to find her but we never heard back.

After the first couple of days I sort of gave up hope and was so so sad. Four days after she ran away I woke up to a text from a friend who remembered that I had lost a rabbit recently and texted me because her neighbor had just found one. This friend lived almost 4 miles away from me but she texted me a photo of a very dirty rabbit in a cardboard box and I recognized Alice immediately.

A few hours later she was back home with me, covered in mud and urine and soaking wet. She obviously hadn't eaten any hay for the 4 days she was missing and wasn't pooping when I got her home. Now it's been about 48 hours and after eating tons of hay and pellets she is back to her normal pooping rabbit self. I am so incredibly happy and lucky to have her back home with me and I never thought that MY rabbit would be one of the ones to go missing! So be careful people!

That would be terrifying :(

I had a similar experience with Lucky, one of my young kits. The dog bashed open the playpen and Lucky managed to escape the yard.

Glad to hear she's doing better and that you found her :D

What a scary experience that must have been. I'm so glad that Alice is back safe and sound with you though, you're very lucky to have her back :)

what an incredible story! Your Alice is a very lucky (and brave) girl!
my bunnies ran away a few times but I always was able to bring them back without much trouble. It has never been for more than a few hours, and they never got missing overnight. Your story is really scary! She probably ate lots of grass while she was gone. It's a huge luck she hasn't met any serious predators or wasn't ran over by a car.

I would be a wreck for sure ... I cant have my kid(s) outside because of the fact that I surrounded by dog(s) ( all three neighbor(s) )

I am gad she is back ( and safe ) and hopefully munching away on some serious hay =0)

is she fixed? If not, I think there is a probability she could be pregnant, but hopefully not

You are incredibly lucky!! So glad Alice is home safe and sound!

is she fixed? If not, I think there is a probability she could be pregnant, but hopefully not

Oh my gosh! She isn't fixed yet ): she was suppose to get fixed by the end of September. I remember the first day she got out hoping that another male rabbit wouldn't get to her but then I sort of forgot about it. Now I'm stressing out, can anyone tell me things to look out for? Can my vet check her out and tell me if she is or isn't pregnant or do I just need to wait and see? I know we do have other feral domesticated bunnies around here but not a ton of them.

Also I am not 100% certain that she IS a female but every time I've tried checking for testicles I haven't been able to see any so I'm about 90% sure she is female.

hm, even vet tech should be able to determine gender actually rather early when they are babies.
You will have to wait 2-3 weeks, after this kits can be palpated by veterinarian or probably even by you.
Also pregnant does can become more aggressive. They look more round.

Can i know when you found her luckily did she show any reactions of knowing you or when back to home did she acted like she's finally safe and back home?

Another dog cautionary tale. Some friends were visiting with their dog. We were all outside. The dog came on the porch and the door wasn't latched. He went in, as he would normally do at his house, and started chasing Jez. This must have gone on for a few minutes until someone noticed the commotion. Jez sprained his leg and lost 2 nails, but was otherwise pretty good, all things considered. It could have been a tragedy. For a long time after that I would put him in his cage when we had visitors. I'm loosening up a bit, but always try to remember to be vigilant.

Can i know when you found her luckily did she show any reactions of knowing you or when back to home did she acted like she's finally safe and back home?

When I got her back she was terrified and I basically just carried her inside and out her into her own with food and water and left her alone to relax. After that she was crabby with me for a day or two and growled/lunged at me a couple of times when I was trying to change her water or something. Now she is pretty much back to normal. She still growls sometimes but she has always been a little bit a of a grumpy bunny. I feel like she recognized her own as "hers" the moment I put her into it though. She was glad to be back home :)

When I got her back she was terrified and I basically just carried her inside and out her into her own with food and water and left her alone to relax. After that she was crabby with me for a day or two and growled/lunged at me a couple of times when I was trying to change her water or something. Now she is pretty much back to normal. She still growls sometimes but she has always been a little bit a of a grumpy bunny. I feel like she recognized her own as "hers" the moment I put her into it though. She was glad to be back home :)

I am so glad you found her, really would have been a disaster

Latest posts

Back