My rabbits purebred but....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill-Hutch

Reaction score
My rabbit, fuzzy is a purebred mini lop. He is 2 years old and I really want to get him a pedigree cause he doesn't have one...
We purchased him from a local rabbit breeder/ friend...

Would I be able to make him one or not?

You can't really make up a pedigree. The pedigree has to come from the breeder. They should have all the right paperwork to make the pedigree for any rabbits they have bred.
A good breeder should keep records of all their rabbits as well as past litters. They should be able to print you off the right pedigree.
Just ask the breeder. Do keep in mind that if he was sold as a pet, they might not be willing to give you one unless he is a really exceptional representative of the breed. Some might give one if the rabbit has been neutered, especially if they were sold as a pet.

Fuzzy has a tattoo, yes. Hes almost perfect, but his teeth haven't worn down properly, something that won't pass on.

Hes calm and he eats well, no signs of bad breeding... I'd have to talk to the breeder who sold him to me.

I'd like a pedigree fro him so when I breed him and people buy the offspring, I have something to show he is a purebred mini lop.

He was a show rabbit at the breeders house, and he did quite well in open (except his teeth...)

But he was sold to us as a 4-H rabbit/pet.

Teeth not wearing down properly? does your bunny have things to chew on like wood and sticks?
Pellets are not hard enough to wear the teeth down properly. You may need to see if the breeder can trim the teeth or get a good vet to do it for you, then provide something for him to chew.

Definitely contact the breeder and ask for a pedigree, he may charge you a little for it depending on what you paid for your bunny.

Confounded doublation........Is there any way we can delete our own double posts?

We told you before you don't know 100% that those teeth arn't genetic. He probably came without a pedigree for a good reason.. that you have a pet. Nothing more.

We know the teeth aren't genetics... we have a litter of perfectly healthy chinchilla colored kits... no teeth problems.
I have been thinking about have my mom take us to the vet so we can get his teeth looked at, I even offered to pay off the bill.
There are 6 baby bunnies and there are absolutely no teeth problems.
The breeder told us his teeth were kinda messed up cause he chewed on the wire.
The babies have plenty of stuff to chew on so there won't be a problem there.

I am going to purchase more things for him to chew on though.

I would be worried about the teeth a little,my rabbits chew on the wire of their cages all the time and we don't have teeth problems here.
How old are the babies, teeth problems generally show up later like 6 to 8 weeks and older.

if they were messed up as a baby, I doubt it was a wire issue. As a breeder it is HIGHLY undesirable for a rabbit with such a fault. Especially one you can't 100% gurentee is or is not genetic.

Ah yes, I remember that. AsI'd said before, if there is even a chance of the teeth being genetic, the rabbit should not be bred. It is sad to hear that you didn't listen to everyone's advice. Now, it's likely that you've just produced a litter of kits that will have dental issues in the future.

If you care about breeding quality animals, please don't breed this rabbit anymore. Enjoy him as a pet.

Just because their teeth are okay now doesn't matter. I have had 2 rabbits with Malocclusion in my life and both were around 3 months or older once I noticed, AFTER I got them home from the breeder. I never bred these rabbits and they needed their teeth clipped every few weeks. It is a miserable time for them to be held down for this. PLEASE do not breed this rabbit again and let the future owners of these babies know to look out for their teeth.

ALSO: Do you know what a pedigree is? It is a 'family tree' of a rabbit. It doesn't necessarily even prove if the rabbit is purebred, it is not like registration papers for a dog. It just tells the colours of the parents, weight of them etc... You can't "get" one unless the breeder wrote one out for you.

Rabbit teeth overgrowing is usually always a genetic problem. I have seen many dwarfs and lops with teeth problems. They are born with unaligned jaw bones. Usually chewing on the bars will cause teeth to break but they usually grow back fine and don't become unaligned usually that is just caused by jaw bones not being in the right place.
You should really get a vet to check out the teeth, it is really easy to clip them and they can show you how to do it yourself. I would not breed it again because we have enough rabbits with teeth problems and a lot of owners put rabbits to sleep because if messed up teeth.

It isn't a genetic problem! The breeder told me! I even looken at the dad and the moms teeth!!!!!!
IT IS NOT A GENETIC PROBLEM!!!

his teeth have gotten better!

I've a Harlequin out here who I just discovered her teeth are messed up, I bought her from very good friends and 2 guys who have been some of the most amazing influance on the Harlequin breed.... I let them know what I found they checked her parents teeth, both of which are fine. Hers are not.... Still genetic.

Just remember your other thread where you are asking about breeding... I don't mean to sound like I'm harrassing you, I'm not... I am all about breeding rabbits and raising BETTER rabbits.. THIS is one of the THOUSANDS of issues you are going to have to learn to deal with and finding out that a beloved rabbit is NOT a good breeding rabbit. Once you come to terms with this you will make a much better breeder until then it is going to be a struggle.

You can contact the breeder about the rabbit's pedigree, as they should still have it. My rabbit is purebred, but I did not ask for the petigree as I had no intention of breeding him. I was also able to purchase him for a slightly lower price as he was not going to be bred. But if I ever chose too (too late as he's fixed now!) or if I just wanted his papers, then I could call his breeder up and pay for them.

Also, there is genetic malocclision and non-genetic malocclusion. Here is a link to the veteranary manual that discusses it a little:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171340.htm

Sometimes teeth issues can be caused just by having improper diet/chew toys. But it can also be genetic. If the teeth issues appear early on in the rabbit's life: it's most likely genetic.

"Because malocclusion is generally considered to be inherited, rabbits with this condition should not be bred. However, young rabbits can damage their incisor teeth by pulling on the cage wire, which results in misalignment and possibly malocclusion as the teeth grow. This condition is difficult to differentiate from genetic malocclusion, and these rabbits should also be culled. Genetic malocclusion generally can be detected in rabbits 3-8 wk old."

Latest posts

Back