my rabbits have had bloat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nora123

Reaction score
Hi can someone advice I have just started to put my rabbits on OxbowT rabbit food mixed in with their other pellets 3 of them have got bloat over the past week as anyone else had problems on Oxbow T pellets I have been feeding them for 2 weeks giving about a quarter of oxbow to 3/4 of their usual pellets the only other thing I have given them is a new bale of fresh cut hay which do you think could be the problem would appreciate any replies and help.

My buns are on Oxbow and many people feel it is one of the best foods around. Bloat is caused by ingested bacteria, and it's unlikely (though not impossible) that you had a bad batch of Oxbow. If your Oxbow was sealed properly, stored dry, not expired and there's no way it could have been contaminated, then I would look at either the hay or the water. It's possible the hay has been rained on before you got it. Check to see if it smells moldy or looks odd, or has any weird weeds in it.

It could also simply be environmental. Are your bunnies kept in a constantly cleaned area? If not, they could easily have nibbled on something toxic.

Thankyou for your reply, I think it was probably the hay I get it from a farm shop in bales it does not smell mouldy but it could have been to rich for them, as it has just been cut, but as long as you think the Oxbow t would not have caused the problem I will keep them on it, as I like the fact it is low in fat but contains all the nutrients they need. Plus my rabbits live in sheds with runs attached which are on concrete, but I do let them run on the grass area of my garden when im in to keep my eye on them, they could have eaten something in the garden once again thanks.

Though Oxbow is considered a good brand of rabbit food, it is still possible for it to cause digestive problems with rabbits. Usually the best way to find out is to cut it back out of the diet. Then if the problem goes away, it is most likely the culprit. Though it doesn't mean you can't use it, you may just need to introduce it into their diets at a much slower rate, starting with much smaller quantities.

Thankyou for your reply I will persever but at a lower introductory period, but another thing I thought may be causing them to have bloat, was I feed them half a leaf of spring green and 2 bits of carrot once a day, but I wash them at night then put them in the fridge and get them out the next morning to warm up, I thought maybe they are getting bacteria in the water my friend feeds her 4 the same as me, but she does not wash her veg first, and she never has any problems do you think this could be the cause they are such a worry.

Whether you wash them or not, it may be the carrots themselves causing problems. Carrots are very high in sugar, and some rabbits are simply more sensitive to that. For the moment, until they get better I would leave the carrots out of the diet altogether.

Latest posts

Back