my rabbit's breed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I too looked up the wordoryctolagus cuniculus on the internet. It seems tobe a word that covers a wide range of rabbits or just rabbits ingeneral. I agree his rabbit looks to have dutch markings, butis probably mixed with something else. Maybe the more expensive dutchrabbits in Singapore are the pure bred ones??

And by the way, there is no harm in trying to learn more about yourrabbit. And asking questions is how we learn. Finding outexactly what breed a rabbit is can be very tricky. Having a pedigree isvery helpful. Without that, one can only guess by taking intoconsideration the fur, size, color markings, and other features. Thatis exactly what the people on this forum tried to do. I think they werepretty right on! But that's just my opinion.

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
O.K. I have been raising Dutch for over 13 yearsnow and I have been reading this thread and basicallylaughing....sorry. Riyon, looks to me like you have a Dutchor possibly a Dutch mixed with something else. How much doesyour bunnies weigh? Dutch are supposed to weighbetween3 1/2 and 5 1/2 pounds. They come in avariety of colors...black, blue, chocolate, gray, steel, tortoise,gold, blue-gray, blue-steel, harlequin, chinchilla...see where I amgoing with this.

The mother is a chinchilla colored Dutch. Dutch don't have tohave exact markings to be a dutch. In fact, quite a few areborn VERY mismarked and even solids are born.

Sharon

hello! sorry about all my mixing up here and making u guys laugh all the way here!

erm.. i dunnoe about pounds.. cos here we use Kilograms.. mine is about 2 KG..

the mom and the papa and their babies, i seensome before, itdoesn;t seems like a proper dutch to me.. i guess its all mixed alongthe ways.. until i came across this only black and white bunny amongthe other bunnies.. tt attracted me to adopt it.. =]

i took it to afew competitions and pet showsbefore, and thejudges and people knew tt it wasn't a dutch at all until furtherobserving...

so tts why i am **** confused here now when people says its a dutch..

most probably it is lah.. but a mixed!

:)For future reference, you asked whatbreed your rabbit was and we told you it was probably a dutch or adutch cross which it probably is.

What you told us your rabbit is, is the species: Oryctolaguscuniculus. My rabbits are as much Oryctolagus cuniculus as yours is andone of mine is purebred. So the person who was joking about it being aMini Lop was not actually wrong, since the Mini Lop is in thatOryctolagus cuniculus category too.

TinysMom wrote:
Riyon wrote:
hello guys! needsome help from u all to identify my bunny.

cos in Singapore here, my rabbit is known as a LOCAL breed.but i am wondering.. whats the real term for it? can anyone tell me?

thankyou!
Oh my.....what a cute Dutch rabbit!

I can't get them here in SW Texas...but you have them in Singapore?

No fair. Oh well, I like my lionheads anyway...and Tiny won't let me have any more bunnies...

Peg

yes.. if u wan my this kind of rabbits, there are alot in singapore..most being abandoned actually, u can find them at abandon sheltersactually and pple giving them up for adoptions, unlike those NDs,Lops..... which is a really sad news.. =(

now, more and more abandon rabbits like my breed can be found abandon in carparks, roadsides and parks..

This my Dutch Rabbit Pez, his parentswere both dutch. If you look at the picture he is mismarked..notice that his one paw is black rather than white. becauseof the mismarkings.. they are not showable and are sold cheaper becauseof that. More than likely your rabbit is not show quality andthat is why he was abandoned. Consider him lucky that he isstill alive! Your dutch is also mismarked his front legsshould be completely white and there are certain ways that thepatterning must be in order to qualify as a show rabbit. Youcan refer to this site to see the differences in your rabbit ascompared to a Pet rabbit.

http://www.geocities.com/dutchrabbitinfo/

IM000053b.jpg

I too am with the others, Dutch come in manycolors in conjunction with the white. As a matter to consider maybe thewhite father was a dutch hiding under a rew coat. I am not good withgenetics but you can have brokens genetically that are all white. Wehave all told you our opinion: Dutch or DutchX ? Definitely has dutchin it, really nice dutch markings I might add.

Pam

Ok lastnight afetr I first responded to Riyons post I thought maybe itwas a language problem about countries that the bunny originated from.Now I see it was a WHOLE other issue, I couldn't help but laugh hard bypage 2 of this post.

I am glad though that we all tried giving Riyon help and advice even ifit did turn into a 3 ring circus, I think at one point or another weall (including Riyon) had a small smile or a laugh along the way withthis one.:p

Most likely a Dutch markedmix. The Dutch markings seem to be rather popularand there appear to be quite a few of the Dutch marked mixes as pets inSingapore. Most of the rabbits have similar "type" -- finer,longer features than we are generally used to seeing in pet rabbits inthe US.

You can find more specific info about rabbit breeds in your area here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rabbit_Singapore/

Oryctolagus cuniculus is the European wildrabbit, where all our domestic rabbits have descended from (samespecies).

Pam

I'm sorry to tell all of you here that its NOT adutch rabbit. Pictures can be deceiving don't you know? During mycourse of business,I have been to Singapore alot oftimesand PERSONALLY seen those rabbits. Dutch rabbits have amuch shorter body and ears. Verify your facts first before insistingthat the rabbit is a dutch. All of you who insist is a dutch can jollywell go down to Singapore to take a look andsnap somepictures.

Regards,

Christy

Christy, if it's not a dutch then what is it???:?

You said you have seen them, do you know the breed that they are???:ponder:

Christy, while the Singaporerabbitsare not similar to those we know by US or British standards, but theydo have the Dutch Belting gene which produces those classic Dutchrabbit markings. Dutch have been mixed into manybreedsincluding the San Juans we know here in America, whichhave the similar "wild" type to the rabbits of Singapore. No-- the Singapore rabbits in the photos may not be pure-bred Dutch byour standards, however, those rabbits do carry the genetic markingtraits of the Dutch rabbit in its ancestry.

Pam

christy wrote:
I'm sorry to tell all of you here that its NOT a dutchrabbit. Pictures can be deceiving don't you know? During my course ofbusiness,I have been to Singapore alot of timesandPERSONALLY seen those rabbits. Dutch rabbits have a much shorter bodyand ears. Verify your facts first before insisting that the rabbit is adutch. All of you who insist is a dutch can jolly well go down toSingapore to take a look andsnap some pictures.

Regards,

Christy
Christy ,

First of all snottiness will get you nowhere , Secondly since you have seenthese rabbits with Dutch type markings,how about you get us aSpecificLatin name for it For us?

Ifor one resent the fact thatyou think that an Expert such as PamNock doesnt know what sheistalking about . Just becauseyouhave seen such a rabbit doesnt at allmake You the expert , I will have youknow and understand Mrs.Nock has spentmany years studying to become an ARBAjudge and has seen many different breedsof rabbits . Handled many, Many differentbreeds . Mrs Nock has extensiveknowledge in Genetics , Most ofus common type People dont knowmuch of Genetics and there for go bywhat we see, when you see Dutchmarking then its a Dutch , I know I forone Believe that AsPam has said Many breeds werestarted by , and improved uponor degressed by introducing theDutch rabbit into another breed .

So in closing this response . Put up someproof , Prove us wrong . Seeingyou jumped in and basicallycalled us idiots Please feel free toProve us to be such .

I should point out that Christy and I arebasically saying the same thing -- they are not purebredDutch. Christy is familiar with the Asian "type" of petrabbits commonly seen, and these are of the same physical type, butthey have Dutch markings. There are many types of purebredsin Asian countries, but there are also local strains bred for food/pet.

Pam

http://www.hrss.net/adopt/adpt_gal_archive.html
they also have a Hotot in there that is clearly identified as a hotot local .

there is no Marked Identification for aDutch rabbit . Either they dont know theBreed name , or It seems thatany rabbit they have no clue over is called aLocal breed. which in terms couldmean anything .

Take it for what it is worth , Here inthe US and elswherethese Rabbits are called Dutch .

Of course that one isn't actually a "DwarfHotot", but it is Hotot marked. Hotot markingsare probably not uncommon in that area because the Hototpatternis produced bybreeding a combination of theDutch marking gene (which we've seen is very popular there) and theEnglish Spotting gene (also present among the localpopulations).

The Vienna gene also produces Dutch-like markings, but I don't know howprevalent that gene is among local populations in Singapore.

Pam

Thanks Pam thatwasthe point I was trying to get acrossed ,I sometimes loseproper words to express what I am tryingto say , thats the reason forthe site and pictures . I also knewyou would see what I was trying tosay and Be able to say it theright way . Thanks .

Know what you mean Gypsy :) I thinkit's just the usage of the terms that is causing confusion. "DutchMarked" doesn't mean pure-bred "Dutch Breed". To add furtherconfusion, some pure-bred Dutch may not have any Dutch markings at alland be a solid color.

Pam

Dear all,

I am also from Singapore and would like to do some explaining.

I've noticed that Riyon constantly uses local slang like "shiok" and"alamak." I'll like to say that "shiok" actually means comfortable and"alamak" is actually OMG. "Lah" has no meaning.

Singapore used to be a British Colony. We were also a major tradingdestination. I believe that the local rabbits came about probablythrough the introduction of dutch rabbits in Singapore by either thebritish,americans or possibly spanish? Through inter breeding or shouldi term it as "messy breeding," the local rabbit was formed. My take isthat if a name really is needed, to describe it as a rabbit mutt.

Unfortunately, we do not have any rabbit shows here in singapore. Therabbit shows here are all for house bunnies and are mainly classifiedas "fattest bunny" whatsoever.

Sorry for bringing this topic up again...just felt so embarassed over the fuss that he/she kicked up.

Thank you Sharlene for the interestinginfo. Looking forward to hearingmore about rabbitsin your part of the world!

Pam

What would you like to know? I'll be happy to answer any of your questions :)

Some info here:

I don't think we have canned pumpkin here. Have been searching but justcan't find any...sigh..Also, most of the brands of rabbit pellets herehave lots of treats in them. Luckily, we have Oxbow.

We also have brands like Hagen, Sluis, Burgess (i think it is supposedto be good?), Mazuri (Have the normal as well as the lab diet.) I can'tremember what the other brands are. Are any of the brands i listedgood? Currently, i feed Oxbow but am willing to change to a betterbrand.

Latest posts

Back