My Rabbits and Ramblings 2011 onwards

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At last, I'm getting around to updating my blog (only nearly halfway through the year lol)

For newer members, I am originally from the UK but Emigrated to Canada in 2008. I now have 4 bunnies, and their old blog is
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=48145&forum_id=6
and my latest girl's is
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=64472&forum_id=1
But in brief they are:
Shadow, a New Zealand black about 5 1/2 years old I brought from the UK with me
Jester, a mix of just about everything, 3 years old, from a house with over 500 rabbits
Georgia, 8 year old agouti, who was saved from being euthanised by Pet_Bunny and I adopted her
Bonnie, a sweet little dwarf who lived wild for about 7 months after being thrown out until I caught her in April.

Now the photos :)

First, the new couple, Bonnie and Jester. They have now totally bonded and are both blissfully happy :biggrin:

DSCN3229.jpg

DSCN3234.jpg

Bonnie in her re-designed boxes - both she and Jester have chewed their own doorways into the 4 joined together box home
DSCN3240.jpg

And hiding behind her 'tent' blanket :D
DSCN3243.jpg

I took all of them ( in two separate pairs) into the garden this week - more of that later, but these are the pictures.

Jester digging

DSCN3246.jpg

Bonnie deciding whether to jump or not
DSCN3248.jpg

Jester and Bonnie
DSCN3247.jpg

And Bonnie looking like she has a bad smell under her nose :p
DSCN3249.jpg

Next, Shadow and Georgia

Shadow
DSCN3253.jpg

Georgia
DSCN3255.jpg

Where's the flowers, Mom?
DSCN3254.jpg

My original snuggle couple :)
DSCN3256.jpg

OK, something strange happened with Bonnie when she was outside. At first, she and Jester had a ball, but Jester isn't over fond of being outside, so we took him in after about 40 minutes. We couldn't catch Bonnie, and she was having such a good time, we let her stay out when Shadow and Georgia were out. When we took them in we still couldn't catch her, and she kept hiding under the decking.

After 3 hours outside (at least John or I was out all the time with her) I came in and left John trying to catch her. A while later I heard her scream (and those who've heard a rabbit scream know what an awful sound that is :() I ran out to see what John had done, but he had just picked her up, and it was like she had reverted back to being the wild bunny she had been for 7 months. It was really weird, and a bit frightening. It took her several hours being back inside and snuggling with Jester, before she was back to normal. I will take her out again, but I'm worried that it will upset her again.

Anyways, all is well now, and I shall really try and keep this blog up to date :biggrin:

Jan

Jan, you have no idea how much the cuddle-pics brightened my day!! I looked at the pics, and all I could think of was the joy and love I felt when I watched my trio cuddled up together. I can't wait to see more pics of my babies cuddled up...

That seems strange that Bonnie would react that way, but then again, I guess I would think I were a wild-bun again if let outside to run around. Maybe a penned area might be best until she realizes that outside-time is brief and not a way of life.

I wonder if Bonnie is a Siamese of some sort of breed. She looks creamy off-white with the Siamese points. Maybe a muted Siamese Nethie...?

Oh wow - beautiful bunnies - I remember when you got Shadow.

But I have to admit....Jester is my favorite when it comes to looks.

I'll definitely try to keep an eye on this blog.

Beautiful Blog and pictures.

A temporary pen outside might be a good solution to help ease Bonnie to the back yard. What would the neighbors think if they keep hearing Bonnie scream every time you take her outside. You could try and bring her in first, before getting Jester back into the house.

Oh Jan, such BEAUTIFUL pictures of all your Bunnies.

Poor Bonnie, maybe she screamed because she couldn't see Jester, maybe she thought Jester had left her.

Looking forward to MANY MANY more pictures.

Susan:)

Thanks everyone :)

Peg, it's funny, but Shadow always reminds me of Tiny (a bit smaller version). And I know how difficult it is to keep up with blogs - I still have lots to catch up on!

Well, we have had the bunnies outside a few more times, and things have been better. The first time, when Jester went back inside, Bonnie met Shadow. He was such a gentleman, and Bonnie seemed to relax with him. He became obsessed with her and followed her everywhere, while Georgia just watched them. She is such a timid girl, I think Bonnie scared her a little.

However, the second time, Georgia and Bonnie did meet up face to face a few times, and although it was very brief (Georgia ran off) there was no sign of aggression at all :). Both times, when it came to catching her, we took out the xpen and kind of 'herded' her into it, and picked her up when she was inside. No screaming at all, just one fairly indignant bunny that didn't want to go inside yet :D.

So, I managed to get more photos :)

First, Bonnie

DSCN3259.jpg

In the flower bed (it now has flowers)

DSCN3261.jpg

This smells good

DSCN3264.jpg

DSCN3292.jpg

Hiding in the bushes

DSCN3271.jpg

DSCN3262.jpg

I'm ready for my close-up!

Next, Jester

DSCN3260.jpg

Pretending to be a garden statue

DSCN3258.jpg

Jester hates having dirty feet

Then, Shadow

DSCN3269.jpg

DSCN3270.jpg

Oohh, another girl bunny :)

DSCN3276.jpg

Errmm, I don't think you should be doing that !

DSCN3277.jpg

Perfect bunny butts ;)

Now, Georgia

DSCN3285.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

Bonnie meets Georgia - sort of!

DSCN3279.jpg

Keeping their distance

DSCN3281.jpg

Closer

DSCN3282.jpg

As close as it got.

I did manage to get one of Shadow, Georgia and Bonnie together - before they went off in different directions

DSCN3275.jpg

That's all for now :)

Jan

Oh, that Bonnie is soooo beautiful!!! I am so surprised that Shadow and Georgia are so good with her.They must be able to sense that she is good-peoples.If it were my bunnies in your garden, I'd be running around breaking-up fights left and right. Maybe I'll show the pics of your kids being good to my my kids so they get the idea that hanging-out without cuddlingis okay. ;)

DSCN3275.jpg

teehee... a trio-triangle.... :p About as neat as my Dutch train....

Thanks Janet. I think Shadow would get on with most rabbits - he and Jester fight because Jester initiates it. And Georgia is so submissive that she just pancakes for everybun.

I am so proud of Bonnie today. I always carried her down to the basement to be with Jester, but the past week I've been trying to get her to go down on her own. However, she has to leave the carpet in the lounge and go along the vinyl floor, and as it's slippy she freaks out. I've been on my hands and knees with her underneath me and my knee behind her bottom to nudge her on. Every day she has gotten a bit more comfortable doing it. Well, today she was in the lounge, and I was cleaning Shadow and Georgia, When I came down I couldn't find Bonnie, so I go into the basement - and there she is. She had gone down all by herself :clapping:. My little girl is growing up :). Next step - getting her to come back upstairs and in to the lounge!

Jan

Look at how pretty Bonnie is! I always thought Jester looked like Ned, but Bonnie really does. He looks like their baby would look like :D Your bunnies are gorgeous. I laughed when I saw the 3rd and 2nd to the last pictures- Bonnie has the same snooty expression in both. Too funny.

Jan
Oh my goodness how did I miss these beautiful pictures.

Like Janet said if I ever had my "Monkies" outside like
you had yours they would be running in every direction.

Are you out there by yourself? Or is John with you.

Your Bunnies are all so Beautiful.

Love the look of your garden.

Looking forward to more pictures and stories.

Susan
:)

Thanks Shiloh, Susan, Kelli and Dave :)

Susan - either John or myself are always outside with them, and often we both are together. We have a few hawks and a great eared owl that are sometimes in the area, so I won't let them out on their own like I used to in the UK. Also, they tend to try and explore beyond the garden, if you know what I mean, and I would hate for one to disappear under the gate, or through some tiny unseen gap.

In the evening, while Bonnie and Jester are in the basement, we bring Shadow into the living room for an hours' cuddle and play. Then when he goes back upstairs, we bring Georgia down and Jester up for an hour together with us. Then Georgia goes back up with Shadow, and we bring Bonnie up to be with us and Jester. Well, the other night, after Shadow went up, we brought Bonnie in with Jester and Georgia. After a bit of running about - usually Georgia followed by Jester, followed by Bonnie, we got this .......
DSCN3295.jpg

And - especially for Janet( Myheart) - a kind of trio :)

DSCN3297-800.jpg

Although Georgia is still a bit unsure of Bonnie, she settled down when Jester was there. Poor boy - his little tongue was working overtime grooming his ladies :D

I am so proud of them. It means Shadow can be with the girls together outside, and Jester can be with them inside. If only Jester would accept Shadow, life would be perfect. But hey, I'm not complaining when things are going this well :)

Jan

***Gasp***!!! Trio Pics!!!! How long were you holding out on posting these wonderful pics, Jan?!!! That is just too cool for words... I am so happy for you and your beautiful bunners!

Bonnie has certainly added that extra something to your family. Bonnie's Guardian Angels must have been watching for you to come for this sweet little girl. So precious that I think I just have to sit and ogle at the pics for a while longer. :D

HAPPY 2nd GOTCHA DAY, GEORGIA!!!!
Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Today, we have had Georgia for 2 years :)!

Who would have thought that the li
ttle girl who was about to be euthanised would have come this far? She is going on 8 years old, and still acts like a youngster.

She gets on with all the other buns - probably because she is the most submissive bunny in the World ;). She still has problems with poopy butt most days, but we can live with that. She is a sweetheart!

Here's to many more 'Gotcha Days' Georgia :)

Jan

Latest posts

Back