My rabbit stomach feels hard. Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the fluffies

Reaction score
Hi all. I have posted about Shiro over a year ago :
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=46486&forum_id=16&jump_to=626520#p626520

Shiro suddenly stops eating and drinking since last Wednesday. He only feeds on his fruits and veges.

I fed him the with gas med given by my med (he cant tell me the name) yesterday. Only a very few poop produced.

Today, just noticed his stomach is hard! Not gas, but i think it is fill of poop/food. I haven’t seen any fresh poop from him since i reached home 8 hours ago. Now I try to give some massage on his stomach. I hope it helps. I’m force-feeding him with Oxbow Critical and water. I’ve fed him with 1ml/hr of Zellox-II 45 minutes ago.

Is there any video of how to massage and help him pass stool?

Can we use infant enema on bunnies? Help pls.

This sounds like a serious condition called Bloat. Here is the RO info:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10

Important: Gastric Dilation (Volvulus) or severe 'bloat' is not the same as a gas episode. With bloat, the stomach becomes extremely hard and grossly distended which can cause the blood supply to be cut off from the stomach or intestine. Bloat can quickly lead to shock and death. If you suspect bloat, do not massage the rabbit's abdomen, which could make the situation worse. Seek immediate veterinarian attention.

How To Treat ?

*Please note:
This protocol is not appropriate for a rabbit suffering from bloat (very hard, distended stomach).
Bloat must be immediately resolved by a veterinarian.
Do not attempt to treat bloat yourself.
Do not attempt to massage a bloated bunny: can lead to lethal complications.

Please consider consulting a vet. I believe the most important thing right now is keeping your bun hydrated. I'm not very good with this so i hope someone else can come advise you asap. I would not be surprised if it is bloat though so maybe call a veterinarian for advice if no one answers quickly.

He only feeds on apples and melons.
Now is 3.00am in Malaysia. I'll get the pineapples and papaya in the morning.

We have vets, but none of them are rabbit savvy. The gas med i get from them are for kittens and they will not tell me the exact contained as the med was rebottled.

Rabbit savvy vet are 5-hours drive from here. I'm not sure if that vet is open on Saturday. I dont have someone to drive me there as my boyfriend is not available tomorrow.

What shud i do for now?

Does anyone know the correct method of massaging?

I saw 2-3 small poop just now. But the stomach is still lump hard. I'm afraid there is some blockage :(

I've done given 3 doses of Zellox-II 2 hours ago. I already fed him 10ml of Critical Care and approximate 20ml of water tonite. I cant force him more. I'm afraid he'll be stress. Before i post this is RO, i gave him a few massage. After read the comments, i stopped giving him any massage.

Now is 4.10am in Malaysia. I'll find papaya and pineapple in the morning(the next few hours. The fruit shop is open at 10am). I'll feed him with more water soon as i get up as i need some sleep now. Another 1ml zellox-II in the next 6 hours.

Pls keep crossing fingers for my Shiro.
I'll update about him soon.

This isn't bloat, I'd continue with the massage and encourage gentle exercise. Keep him warm, and don't force feed him, just let him eat at his own pace for the next 24 hours.

sas :clover:

Shiro's update :
He stopped eating fruits well. He only took 2-3bites of papaya.

I've syringe-feed him 5ml or pineapple juice before he fled and thumped in angry.

He will get his 4th Zellox-II dose in half an hour.

Another update :

I feed him pineapple juice and water every 2 hours. I try to give him 10ml water every 2-3 hours.

I also try to feed him Critical Care so that his gut will keep working.

U mean i should leave him dehydrated instead of force feed him?

He has stopped taking any pellets and hay since Wednesday which is more than 72hours now. He only feeds on his fruits. This morning he took 2-3 bites of papaya and most of the time sitting in his cage in a hunch position and grinding his teeth.

I dont have any better option. Like i said, the vet is far away and i have no one to drive me there.

I cant leave him, knowing that he is not drinking or eating at all. That is why i have to force feed him and pray he will pass some stool soon.

Zellox-II is the only gas med i have as pharmacies didn't carry any 100% simethicone without additional ingredients.

Hang in there. You're doing okay. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of sugar he's getting but if it's all you can do... You'Re doing all you can. Pipp says it's not bloat so I respect her judgement seeing she has more experience. If it's not, then I would advice you continue forcefeeding and keep him warm. Thinking of you two and wishing you all the best :pray:

Update on Shiro :

He munched on his Alfalfa and Bok Choy :)
I see some poop in his litterbox too :coolness:
I've stop force-feeding him. I hope tonight he will start eating by himself :pray:

Back