My rabbit pregnant ! urgent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apis96

Reaction score
Type : Anggora
Put in cage pairly (1male 1 female) on 7 january .Now the female ripped out the feather. Can anyone tell me what to do now?

can the mother and baby put together?Im afraid if the mother will eat the baby.........And the rabbit need food???/

can the mother and baby put together?Im afraid if the mother will eat the baby.........And the rabbit need food???/

Hmmm, if she is pregnant she is very overdue. So she might just be having a false pregnancy. Are you sure you got the dates right? Was it with a buck after the 7th of January. Have you a nest box in the cage? If not you need to put one in, as I think your cages are all wire? You need to fill it with hay and she will make a nest with it and pull out some fur to make it cosy

apis96 wrote:
Of course! She probably won't eat the baby, they only do it if they feel very stressed out or I think they sometimes do it if they know there is something wrong with the baby. I'm not sure what you mean with ''And the rabbit need food???'' If your talking about the Mother, yes she needs food, you should give her more food then usual once the babies are born.

apis96 wrote:
the rabbit now got the baby.....Im just afraid if the baby died...tell me what to do
Where is the baby? Has she made a nest? Can you take some pictures of the cage and where the baby is?

the baby is safe right now..I put a towel at the nest so the baby will not die freezing...Is it okay if the baby is playing under the towel?

apis96 wrote:
the baby is safe right now..I put a towel at the nest so the baby will not die freezing...Is it okay if the baby is playing under the towel?
Well at this age they don't really play, is the baby lying on a wire floor? Has she pulled out some of her fur and has she hay? Did she build a nest?

the baby is in the nest .and the mother make the nest too...what i mean "the rabbit play" is the rabbit go under the towel

You're sure there's only one baby?

apis96 wrote:
the baby is in the nest .and the mother make the nest too...what i mean "the rabbit play" is the rabbit go under the towel
Ok, I'm not too sure about the towel :? Maybe someone else will come along and answer that, I would think that it would make it harder for the Mother to get at the kit and feed it. But I'm not sure. How many babies are there? Just one? If it is active and in a nice, warm nest it should be fine. The Mother will take care of the rest. You just need to check tomorrow morning if it has a full belly, it will look nice and round if it is getting fed.

The mom won't eat the baby. Some first timers may kick at them, but eating is very rare.

She should feed the baby within 12 hours or so, but may not right away.

Maybe straw and tissue (paper towels, paper, whatever) to keep them warm.

Baby is too young to play, but they may instinctively burrow to stay warm. Just make sure the mother knows where the baby is. If the baby is hiding under the towel, may not be as easy to uncover as the regular nest materials.

give them a bit of time, but if the mother goes in with them and stands over them, she's probably feeding them.

If you pick up the babies and look at their stomachs, they should look like they swallowed ping-pong balls.

The nest needs to be in a box. Especially in a wire cage.

Use a shoe box or something of similar size. It needs to be big enough for mom to get in and turn around but not big enough to lie down in.

Put an inch or two of shavings or soft absorbent litter into the bottom of the box. If you don't have shavings, don't worry too much about this step, you can just use hay or straw.

Fill the box with hay or straw and compact in quite tightly. Make a fist sized hole in the middle of the box, and transfer the babies and as much of the original nest as you can.

Make sure they have lots of fur covering them. Because she is an angora, you should cut any fur into shorter lengths of about 1 inch so that the babies cannot strangle themselves in it.

I would remove the towel. If a thread comes lose on the towel from mom or the babies chewing on it, one of the babies can become tangle in it and can strangle or lose a limb.

The babies will stay nice and warm if they are in a nice nest box with lots of fur. They will cuddle together and the fur will insulate them.

Mom should feed them with in the first 24 hours of birth. If you can post pictures of the babies, we can tell you if they look fed or not.

Mom will not eat them if you touch them. That is a myth. Mom's instincts to care for the babies are stronger than any discomfort from a strange smell. Plus, she knows you so your scent is not strange. If you are still concerned you can just make sure you rub your hands on her before touching the babies so your hands smell like her.

Also, make sure the male is separated. If he wasn't separated, she is pregnant again and will give birth before this litter is ready to wean and reduces their chances of surviving to weaning age.

-Dawn

Latest posts

Back