my rabbit might have mites?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelheil09

Reaction score
My rabbit has been shaking her head and scratching her ear for a while and I’m afraid she might have some sort of mites. There’s no crust in her ears that I can see. Is it normal for rabbits to shake there head? And if she does have mites, what should I do?

My rabbit has been shaking her head and scratching her ear for a while and I’m afraid she might have some sort of mites. There’s no crust in her ears that I can see. Is it normal for rabbits to shake there head? And if she does have mites, what should I do?
My rabbit was digging and then she shook and scratched her ears for a minute. I checked, and it was just a little dirt. What has she been doing lately that could have caused this. If you are concerned, see a vet.

My rabbit was digging and then she shook and scratched her ears for a minute. I checked, and it was just a little dirt. What has she been doing lately that could have caused this. If you are concerned, see a vet.
She usually scratches her head after I pet her and she shakes her head at random times but not too too often.

Take a good peek into her ears, if there's dandruff, flakes, or crusts it can be mites. Treatment would be some drops of oil daily for 2 weeks. (I used baby oil, others will do too. I mixed some flower of sulphur in, but that's not really necessary).Hm, actually I'm not sure about the timing, but read up on how to treat ear mites.

Some scratching is normal if everything looks good.

Is your bunny a lop? In that case, an infection might be possible, they are multible times more prone to such issues than normal rabbits.

Take a good peek into her ears, if there's dandruff, flakes, or crusts it can be mites. Treatment would be some drops of oil daily for 2 weeks. (I used baby oil, others will do too. I mixed some flower of sulphur in, but that's not really necessary).Hm, actually I'm not sure about the timing, but read up on how to treat ear mites.

Some scratching is normal if everything looks good.

Is your bunny a lop? In that case, an infection might be possible, they are multible times more prone to such issues than normal rabbits.
Her ears look pretty clean to me and this morning she neither scratched nor shook her head. I think I might of just been paranoid because my other bun went to the vet with an overgrown tooth.

Her ears look pretty clean to me and this morning she neither scratched nor shook her head. I think I might of just been paranoid because my other bun went to the vet with an overgrown tooth.
Oh and she is a Havana-dutch mix

Latest posts

Back