My rabbit keeps licking his lips / has wet chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipitinho

Reaction score
This morning, my rabbit kept licking his lips/mouth out of nowhere. I sadly couldn't check him more because I had to go to school.

After school, he kept doing the same thing and didn't lick my hand once. It's unusual because he always and adores to lick me. But he ate the food I gave him so everything is fine except for the continuous licking. But then I saw that under his chin was extremely wet (with his saliva I assume) and I've never seen that before. He let me check under his chin.

Its about to be one year (in July 2nd) that he has been to the vet so at any moment the vet is going to send us an email for the next appointment. Is it okay to wait about two weeks to go to the vet or should I try to contact the vet earlier because of the wet chin?

Last edited:
This morning, my rabbit kept licking his lips/mouth out of nowhere. I sadly couldn't check him more because I had to go to school.

After school, he kept doing the same thing and didn't lick my hand once. It's unusual because he always and adores to lick me. But he ate the food I gave him so everything is fine except for the continuous licking. But then I saw that under his chin was extremely wet (with his saliva I assume) and I've never seen that before. He let me check under his chin.

Its about to be one year (in July 2nd) that he has been to the vet so at any moment the vet is going to send us an email for the next appointment. Is it okay to wait about two weeks to go to the vet or should I try to contact the vet earlier because of the wet chin?
Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I just gave him a very small piece of carrot and I noticed how he kept chewing on one side of the mouth, maybe it's his back teeth.

Last edited:
He seems to have trouble chewing. He won't let you check his molars either.
You should call the vet to get a sooner appointment- it is most likely a dental issue and shouldn't wait for a few weeks, even if it isn't particularily life-threathening right now.
If he stops eating for 8 hours and more, you should be getting him to an emergency vet. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to that.

You still don't have school holidays? How long until then? With a possible dental issue, you should be able to keep a constant eye on him to make sure you're there to help when he needs it.

He seems to have trouble chewing. He won't let you check his molars either.
You should call the vet to get a sooner appointment- it is most likely a dental issue and shouldn't wait for a few weeks, even if it isn't particularily life-threathening right now.
If he stops eating for 8 hours and more, you should be getting him to an emergency vet. Let's just hope it doesn't come down to that.

You still don't have school holidays? How long until then? With a possible dental issue, you should be able to keep a constant eye on him to make sure you're there to help when he needs it.
Thank you so much for responding! Sadly i don't have school holiday until July 9th but i have school break tomorrow. I start 8am until 3pm and always check up on him before going to school. Sadly all of my family members get out of the house so my rabbit is mostly alone until i come back from school. So it's hard to keep an eye on him except for tomorrow.

Since i'll have to make an earlier appointment, i'll make sure to talk to my mom but i don't think it'll be a hard task since she has time to take him to the vet in the afternoon. I'll try to contact the vet today. Again, thank you!

Drooling and odd chewing behavior does sound like a dental problem. If you can get an earlier appointment, that would be best. But if not, you just need to make sure your rabbit continues to eat enough food and drink. If your rabbit isn't eating very much or stops eating, then you need to get your rabbit seen as an emergency.

Medirabbit (dental issues)

If you can't get your rabbit seen today, because your rabbits chin will be wet, it could attract flies to lay eggs. This means your rabbit will be at risk of fly strike. So your going to need to protect your rabbit against this as best you can until you can get your rabbit to the vet. Try and kill all flies in your house and check your rabbit several times a day for any fly eggs that might have been laid in the wet fur. If you find any, comb or pick them out of the fur. You don't need to be around to keep an eye on your rabbit the whole day, just check when you can, before and after school, and at night before bed.

Flystrike

Drooling and odd chewing behavior does sound like a dental problem. If you can get an earlier appointment, that would be best. But if not, you just need to make sure your rabbit continues to eat enough food and drink. If your rabbit isn't eating very much or stops eating, then you need to get your rabbit seen as an emergency.

Medirabbit (dental issues)

If you can't get your rabbit seen today, because your rabbits chin will be wet, it could attract flies to lay eggs. This means your rabbit will be at risk of fly strike. So your going to need to protect your rabbit against this as best you can until you can get your rabbit to the vet. Try and kill all flies in your house and check your rabbit several times a day for any fly eggs that might have been laid in the wet fur. If you find any, comb or pick them out of the fur. You don't need to be around to keep an eye on your rabbit the whole day, just check when you can, before and after school, and at night before bed.

Flystrike
I'll definitely keep that in mind, thank you so much. Right now, there aren't any flies around because of the weather. Sadly, tomorrow is a national break day in my country so I couldn't get any appointment for him tomorrow. Even after saying it's an emergency, tomorrow just can't do or the vet is too busy. He will be checked on Thursday though that's the best time we could find. But I'm still worried it may be too long!!! :(

He hasn't really been eating that much lately, only two small pieces of carrot and I saw him eating hay after I came to school. I'm really worried because he just won't eat or drink and there's nothing I can do. I really wish I could do something in the meantime but for rn, I'll just hope for the best. I'll definitely keep you updated, thank you so much

If he's not eating hay or pellets well or drinking much, you're going to need to help him. You can try making a pellet mush by soaking his food pellets in warm water, then see if he will eat that on his own. If not then you are going to need to start syringe feeding. You can try the pellet mush using a wide tip feeding syringe. Or if you can get oxbow critical care or science select recovery food mix for herbivores from a pet store, that's what's usually used for syringe feeding. If you can't find a pet store with it, phone your vet and ask if you can pick some up so you can keep your rabbit fed until your vet appointment.

https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/professional-line/critical-care

If he's not eating hay or pellets well or drinking much, you're going to need to help him. You can try making a pellet mush by soaking his food pellets in warm water, then see if he will eat that on his own. If not then you are going to need to start syringe feeding. You can try the pellet mush using a wide tip feeding syringe. Or if you can get oxbow critical care or science select recovery food mix for herbivores from a pet store, that's what's usually used for syringe feeding. If you can't find a pet store with it, phone your vet and ask if you can pick some up so you can keep your rabbit fed until your vet appointment.

https://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/professional-line/critical-care

The one with the syringe is very good but sadly I don't have it and can't buy it because stores tomorrow are all closed. He's not a fan of the pellets mush, but I did notice he only eats smaller pellets out of the pellets mix we have. It looks like he really wants to eat but can't do it because of his dental issue. Is it okay if I smash the tiny pellets so it can be easier for him to eat? Is there any other possibilities you recommend?

The one with the syringe is very good but sadly I don't have it and can't buy it because stores tomorrow are all closed. He's not a fan of the pellets mush, but I did notice he only eats smaller pellets out of the pellets mix we have. It looks like he really wants to eat but can't do it because of his dental issue. Is it okay if I smash the tiny pellets so it can be easier for him to eat? Is there any other possibilities you recommend?

He's starting to eat hays and he's pooping like normal. A tiny bit smaller than usual but he's still pooping. I'll be going to sleep now and try to check up on him around midnight

If he's eating enough hay, then he should be fine. But if not, you can syringe feed the pellet mush too, you just have to have an oral syringe with a wide enough tip. Or you could try spoon feeding it. If none of that will work, yes, try breaking up the pellets into smaller pieces. You just have to keep him eating at least some amount of food, or he could go into GI stasis. As long as he's eating a decent enough amount, and pooping somewhat normally, he'll hopefully be fine until you can get him to the vet.

If he's eating enough hay, then he should be fine. But if not, you can syringe feed the pellet mush too, you just have to have an oral syringe with a wide enough tip. Or you could try spoon feeding it. If none of that will work, yes, try breaking up the pellets into smaller pieces. You just have to keep him eating at least some amount of food, or he could go into GI stasis. As long as he's eating a decent enough amount, and pooping somewhat normally, he'll hopefully be fine until you can get him to the vet.
thank you so much! Really! I'll keep you updated

thank you so much! Really! I'll keep you updated
Next morning and his chin is less wet, a big difference compared to yesterday. He ate his hays during the night.
He's always looking for comfort and stays close, which makes me relieved because that's his usual behavior. What I noticed is he won't eat his pellets of his plate, but only if I'm the one who's giving him

Next morning and his chin is less wet, a big difference compared to yesterday. He ate his hays during the night.
He's always looking for comfort and stays close, which makes me relieved because that's his usual behavior. What I noticed is he won't eat his pellets of his plate, but only if I'm the one who's giving him
The same goes for water. I have to fill a cup with water and give it to him myself because he won't drink it by himself in his water bowl

Yes! Please keep us updated!

Each rabbit does have its own personality, too, which can vary from there. My Lawrence is normally an out-going attention-hog, but occasionally, like last night, he won't be too interested in hanging out with me. I opened his pen when I got home from work, and he didn't come running out, like usual. He didn't seem uncomfortable or anything, he was relaxing near his house, and just didn't want to move. I tested him with a treat, and he took it (greedily, as usual) and later he ran over for his dinner. He was lust being lazy and wanting some time alone. I've noticed that my buns have moods just like anyone else, and though I always suspect health issues, most of the time they're just feeling a certain type of way!

The same goes for water. I have to fill a cup with water and give it to him myself because he won't drink it by himself in his water bowl
He started licking his feet, which he didn't do often since yesterday
Yes! Please keep us updated!

Each rabbit does have its own personality, too, which can vary from there. My Lawrence is normally an out-going attention-hog, but occasionally, like last night, he won't be too interested in hanging out with me. I opened his pen when I got home from work, and he didn't come running out, like usual. He didn't seem uncomfortable or anything, he was relaxing near his house, and just didn't want to move. I tested him with a treat, and he took it (greedily, as usual) and later he ran over for his dinner. He was lust being lazy and wanting some time alone. I've noticed that my buns have moods just like anyone else, and though I always suspect health issues, most of the time they're just feeling a certain type of way!
My rabbit is almost the same! I've noticed that each rabbits have their own personality and I learned to not be too worried about it when they change every now and then. Just like yours, mine also wants to be alone but by staying in a place where I can't reach him, nevertheless he still runs to me for me to pet him when he wants it.

Unlike yesterday when he wasn't eating from his plate, today he has been eating alone but i still have to give him water myself because he won't drink from his bowl. I feel like he's a lot more moody because of whatever dental issue he has (which will be checked tomorrow) and because of that, he hasn't really been cleaning his body like usual and stays further away from me

Sounds like maybe he has a sensitive tooth that cold water and crunching down on pellets, makes it hurt more. And the grinding action for eating hay, doesn't seem to cause as much pain, which is why he's still eating some hay but not pellets or water so much. That kind of dental issue would be more likely to be an infected tooth. So if your vet doesn't find molar spurs or maybe something stuck in the tooth to be the problem, I would request that xrays be done to check for an infected tooth.

With the water, try giving your rabbit more tepid warm water, and see if that makes a difference in him drinking on his own. Cold water will make a sensitive tooth hurt more.

Sounds like maybe he has a sensitive tooth that cold water and crunching down on pellets, makes it hurt more. And the grinding action for eating hay, doesn't seem to cause as much pain, which is why he's still eating some hay but not pellets or water so much. That kind of dental issue would be more likely to be an infected tooth. So if your vet doesn't find molar spurs or maybe something stuck in the tooth to be the problem, I would request that xrays be done to check for an infected tooth.

With the water, try giving your rabbit more tepid warm water, and see if that makes a difference in him drinking on his own. Cold water will make a sensitive tooth hurt more.
Thank you! Will do. But now I'm having a new issue, he's starting to breath really loud -- like a honking sound and it's not the honking when he's happy and I know it's because he has difficulties breathing. I just hope he'll be okay until he'll be taken to the vet tomorrow

Call the vet right now. Tell them he's having noisy and difficulty breathing. Try and get in as an emergency, because this is what it sounds like it is and he may not make it to tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back