My Rabbit just died and I don't know why.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Chopper

Chopper
Reaction score
So I have been taking care of a rabbit for the past say 8-9 months and she was about 9-10 for all that time she was incredibly active and just all around happy, this morning I get up go to the fridge and get some carrots and she charges me wanting the carrots and I hand feed her and my other rabbit the carrots the rest of the day goes by and usual and I feed them there pellets and give them there carrot yogurt treats like usual. the day is closing and she just starts slowing down like I go to pet her and she doesnt even like twitch a little I didn't think nothing of it because I thought she was tired I go online and play a few games with my friends than we call it a night and I go to find that she is under my bed gone, I don't know what went wrong and I really just wanna know why she was perky and happy this morning and than just like that gone. If anyone can tell me why or if they think they know how it happened please tell me because I have one rabbit left and I have had him longer and I don't wanna have this feeling in my gut anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
we can't tell you why she died. Sounds like an older rabbit who just passed away quietly.. which is way better than suffering for a while first.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Unfortunately from your description alone it's impossible to tell you why she passed away. As prey animals rabbits often hide any illness until the last minute and when they do go downhill it's often quick.
It sounds like she lived a great life with you.
If you want more answers, consider asking your vet about a necropsy but know that they must be done soon after death to get the most information and may be inconclusive.

Thank you for the information she was barley a year old so I am just really sad, but thanks for the advice it already has been a day so I don't think I could a necrospy.

Oh, when you stated she was 9-10, it sounded like you meant 9-10 years. That's why the others said she was "an older rabbit." But I see you must've meant that she was 9-10 months.

She was young for sure. But it can be difficult to know what was the cause. Aside from her behavior, did you see a change in her poo output?

I do wonder about the carrots you said you gave her. A rabbit should never receive more than a 1" slice of carrot on any given day. Carrots are high in sugar and should be viewed as treats only. Also mentioned was yougurt treats, but rabbits (once weaned) cannot digest dairy. Yougurt drops should not be given to a rabbit. I don't know if these had anything at all to do with her death, but thought you should be aware since you mentioned having another rabbit as well.

Oh, when you stated she was 9-10, it sounded like you meant 9-10 years. That's why the others said she was "an older rabbit." But I see you must've meant that she was 9-10 months.

She was young for sure. But it can be difficult to know what was the cause. Aside from her behavior, did you see a change in her poo output?

I do wonder about the carrots you said you gave her. A rabbit should never receive more than a 1" slice of carrot on any given day. Carrots are high in sugar and should be viewed as treats only. Also mentioned was yougurt treats, but rabbits (once weaned) cannot digest dairy. Yougurt drops should not be given to a rabbit. I don't know if these had anything at all to do with her death, but thought you should be aware since you mentioned having another rabbit as well.

Usually what I do is every morning or when I get back from work I will get half a cub of pellets and refill their water and than after that I'll get about 2-4lbs of kale (This was when I still had Chopper) and sometimes other veggies mostly kale cause they like that more and also I felt it was the best, for the carrots they are small whole ones that I hand feed to each and after that let them roam around and play and once in awhile I'll give them a carrot treat trying never to go over at least 2(I mis-read the bag they aren't actually yogurt treats) I am always giving them an unlimited supply of hay and than twice a month I groom them making sure to get all that excess hair off of them because I heard that a rabbit can plug it's own hole up and die. If their is anything you think I am doing wrong or can improve on please tell me I really would appreciate it.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, it's always hard to lose a friend like that.

In regards to any suggestions, the only thing that concerns me is the amount of kale. Kale is a perfectly safe leafy green, however it is very high in calcium. Too much caclium in a diet can cause bladder sludge and stones, however I would have suspected you would have seen signs of these. In addition, as a member of the brassica family, kale has a tendency to cause gas. When rabbits get gas it can be quite painful, often they stop eating and pooping which is GI stasis and can be fatal if untreated. I'm not saying either of these things are the reason she passed, I really can't answer that question, however I think kale should be fed in moderation.

We have had 4 that were fine in general with no sign of any problem and then they were just gone--thought they were just sleeping but that wasn't it. So sorry for your loss.

It's hard to say what caused the death but my first bunny got sick like that and suspect GI stsasis Audry research. The only thing I can tell you that I learned the hard way is keep an eye on the poop. If the poop pellets get smaller than or less than usual beware something could be going wrong. This time of year my bunny has tummy troubles because of shedding season, which can cause blockages because of the fur. I just watch for lethargy and the poop pellets. When I see my bunny experiencing these problems I start dosing Jim with infant simethicone drops and unflavored pedialite, and lots of extra exercise. He recovers in about 5 hours or so, and starts pooping like crazy. My friend who raised bunnies suggested bananas every once in a while during this time to help slide the hair through. Also avoid foods that have seeds in it, it's not good for them either.

Sometimes bad things happen which isn't a huge comfort I know but unfortunately you can't always know why your pets die, you can do all the right stuff and still they just go.

Thank you everyone for the advice and support really means alot but I got to bury chopper next to my other rabbit Jojo and started a garden ontop of them under a tree so I kinda feel happy about that atleast, so thanks for all the help guys.

Latest posts

Back