My rabbit is terrified of my new rug.. help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrix

Reaction score
I ordered a Moroccan rug that's made of real wool (not sure if it's camel or sheep) and when I brought it into my room, my bunny was terrified - he darted under my bed and wouldn't come out for hours. I thought he'd get used to it, especially when I laid down on top of it and held him, and lured him out with treats, but he would not budge. This persisted for like 12 hours and I rolled up the rug and took it in another room. He was mad at me for two days.

Now, five days later, I took it back in my room (and didn't unfurl it to its full 4x7 size), but left it bunched up in the middle of the room so he could sniff and inspect it. Once he did, he ran under my bed again and started breathing really hard. It's clear he's scared - he's never really scared of much - but I don't know what to do. I spent $250 on the carpet and can't return it. Should I spend another $80 to get it professionally cleaned? I was thinking perhaps it smells like animals and he's triggered, but if it's the smell of the animal's coat it's made from, I'm not sure if it's even worth it, or if any cleaning will make him less scared.

What should I do?

I ordered a Moroccan rug that's made of real wool (not sure if it's camel or sheep) and when I brought it into my room, my bunny was terrified - he darted under my bed and wouldn't come out for hours. I thought he'd get used to it, especially when I laid down on top of it and held him, and lured him out with treats, but he would not budge. This persisted for like 12 hours and I rolled up the rug and took it in another room. He was mad at me for two days.

Now, five days later, I took it back in my room (and didn't unfurl it to its full 4x7 size), but left it bunched up in the middle of the room so he could sniff and inspect it. Once he did, he ran under my bed again and started breathing really hard. It's clear he's scared - he's never really scared of much - but I don't know what to do. I spent $250 on the carpet and can't return it. Should I spend another $80 to get it professionally cleaned? I was thinking perhaps it smells like animals and he's triggered, but if it's the smell of the animal's coat it's made from, I'm not sure if it's even worth it, or if any cleaning will make him less scared.

What should I do?
if it's real wool, it could possibly still smell like the animal it came from. i'm not an expert, but my bunnies go crazy when they smell another species' (such as a cat or dog) scents.

Back