My Rabbit is Taking her Baby out of the nest.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacanulty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My rabbit, Lottie, gave birth to 3 kits last Sunday so they are currently 6days old. When I was checking the nest yesterday I noticed that one of them was outside the nest box. The same thing happened this morning and to the same kit. It still seems like it is healthy and being fed only it is slightly smaller than the other two kits.
Is Lottie trying to reject this kit and should I hand rear the kit myself?

Attachments

• IMG20230428185733.jpg
    IMG20230428185733.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
No, I wouldn't think so.
Most likely it got dragged out on the teat. How is the nestbox designed? There should be a 2-4" wall/lip the doe needs to go over and that reduces the risk of a kit staying latched on.

No, I wouldn't think so.
Most likely it got dragged out on the teat. How is the nestbox designed? There should be a 2-4" wall/lip the doe needs to go over and that reduces the risk of a kit staying latched on.
This is the nest box.

Attachments

• IMG20230325103012.jpg
    IMG20230325103012.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230325103003.jpg
    IMG20230325103003.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230325102953.jpg
    IMG20230325102953.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I guess there is hay and fur inside now, making the entrance a low hurdle. You can easily make it higher by putting a strip of folded cardboard there. This usually is a temporary issue for a few days, when kit weight and bulk increases it imo gets less likely. A ramp from compressed hay on the outside helps them to get back in once they start to venture out, which is just a few days from now.

I guess there is hay and fur inside now, making the entrance a low hurdle. You can easily make it higher by putting a strip of folded cardboard there. This usually is a temporary issue for a few days, when kit weight and bulk increases it imo gets less likely. A ramp from compressed hay on the outside helps them to get back in once they start to venture out, which is just a few days from now.
Thanks for the advice

Latest posts

Back