My rabbit is not eating! Help :/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexzendra

Reaction score
From couple of hours I've noticed that my rabbit is not eating.
i gave him 4 slices of apple but he only ate one then i gave him a carrot; he only took one bite then ran away.. He just sniffs his food and then runs away.

I can't take him to vet right now, it's almost 10:00 pm and the vet is closed right now. we don't have 24/7 vets where i live.. i'll take him to vet tomorrow morning but for now, what can i do? how can i make him to start eating again? i'm really concerned! He haven't pooped/peed alot like he usually do. :( He's not lethargic.. he's playing with me and also grooming himself, but refusing to eat. i'm not sure what to do! any advice? is this a emergency?

Is he eating any hay? It's important that you try and force hay; it helps their gut remain mobile.

If he's not eating anything at all, you can try critical care, or if you don't have any you can try crumbling some pellets, mixing with water, and microwaving them so they're mixed together, and syringe-feeding your bun with it. If you don't have a syringe, you might try feeding off your finger or a spoon.

He finally ate a carrot. I'll try to feed him pellet and water because my rabbit is not eating hay.. btw i do have a syringe.

Apples and carrots are high in sugar and not really good for rabbits. You can give them as a treat, but only a small amount like one slice a day. If your rabbit doesn't normally eat his hay, you could cut back on his pellets a little bit to encourage him. That might prevent future problems of not eating.

Also, make sure he's still pooping - if not, it could indicate a blockage, and you should see a vet ASAP.

:pray:

Agree with everything said above, cut out the apple and carrot for the moment, and encourage hay eating, pellets also. You want to get lots of fiber into him to encourage his gut to keep moving. Let us know how it goes.

I'm just sharing what I do if one of my rabbits doesn't eat. I just syringe electrolyte and water as a first course of action. About 1 1/2-2 tablespoons (for a 3-4 pound rabbit). I don't try to force treats and food incase its a blockage because it could make it worse. I think hydrating with low sugar electrolytes and waiting to see if whatever it is in their system passes is the safest thing to do in the beginning of symptoms. After syringing water if they don't eat within 8-12 hours I would go to the vet. Also, if you can hear gas and gurgling baby wind drops- semithicone is safe to give and will help.

Latest posts

Back