My rabbit is acting very aggressive, what can I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenybunnybinny

Reaction score
Please read the full post before giving any advice!
My rabbit, Raisin, is one years old and unfixed. She’s been aggressive, but things calmed down for a while. Until recently, she’s been acting very aggressive, biting, grunting, even trying to attack whenever we try to pick her up. She usually isn’t this bad, especially around me since I can usually calm her down but last night she bit me and I’m just worried that something may be wrong. I don’t know if it’s because she’s sick or if something is hurting because she’s acting fine other than the aggression. I want to get her fixed soon, but it isn’t in my control as my dad says it’s too expensive right now. Any advice to what could be bothering her, or how to keep her calm before we can get her fixed? Thanks.

Hormones can fluctuate. She may have calmed down awhile but those hormones are rearing their head again. The best you can do is work on understanding her body language and avoid those things that seem to set her off.

Understand that often a grunt means she's unhappy with something going on around her. If it doesn't stop, that will elevate to a lunge, and then to a bite. As a matter of course, rabbits despise being picked up. They tolerate it when they are younger but as they age, they simply don't like it. Avoid picking her up while she is hormonal. Once she's fixed, you can work on getting her to tolerate limited handling for check-ups and nail clips.

What she considers intrusion into her personal space is another potential trigger for that aggression. Rabbits can become "cage aggressive" where they attack when someone puts a hand into their cage or space -- even if it is just to refill food/water or clean the litter box. Again, best you can do is work around that by reserving those activities for when she is away from her cage area (perhaps when she's out roaming the room for her exercise).

You'll likely also find that her moods will shift throughout the day. She may be receptive to some pettings at some times and not at others. Look for her body language to help guide you as to when to interact with her and when to ignore her.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

Latest posts

Back