My rabbit hasnt been eating for 8+ hours

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coco125

Reaction score
Im really worried it all happened so suddenly and hes kinda been isolating himself and not coming to any of us please help what do i do

Not eating for long periods (like 8 hours) is dangerous for rabbits -- their system requires constant grazing.

Not eating often means a rabbit is experiencing GI "stasis," where the digestive system slows (is in stasis).

Your best bet is to take him to a vet if he hasn't already recovered (which they sometimes do).

He likely doesn't have a lack of energy; rather, he is in pain and doesn't want to move. Does he lay low on the floor and press his stomach down on the ground?

When a rabbit hasn't eaten in 12-24 hours, is showing signs of declining, signs of bloat, or has true diarrhea, these are all considered an emergency and you should get your bun to a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away.

When I've had a rabbit that's stopped eating from suspected digestive upset, I'll usually try a few doses of baby gas drops (simethicone) an hour apart. If by the third dose my bun isn't back to normal or has gotten worse, I'll immediately get my bun to my vet.

https://rabbit.org/2013/02/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
https://www.rabbitvet.net/Eurovets.htm

Did you write another post about taking your rabbit outdoors yesterday? If so, the stress of that could easily have caused this. Take him to the rabbit vet ASAP, not eating is a serious emergency.

Not eating for long periods (like 8 hours) is dangerous for rabbits -- their system requires constant grazing.

Not eating often means a rabbit is experiencing GI "stasis," where the digestive system slows (is in stasis).

Your best bet is to take him to a vet if he hasn't already recovered (which they sometimes do).

He likely doesn't have a lack of energy; rather, he is in pain and doesn't want to move. Does he lay low on the floor and press his stomach down on the ground?
I'm not sure if he presses his stomach but he always loads near the fridge his energy and curiosity had fixed but not his eating I will call a vet as soon as I can

Just a update: he eats his pellets and hay he just ate a ton of hay but not fruits or veggies maybe he got sick of them but if he's really hungry he eats them anyways

I would cut out fruits completly for now, and also veggies that are high on carbs and sugar. That he's eating plenty of hay is great.

My rabbits mostly have such episodes when they are shedding their fur, and ingest too much. I always treat it as an emergency when I notice that they aren't eating, first I make them move a lot and give belly massages. I offer the most yummy weeds (hogweed, dandelion, leaves from roses, apple trees and willows, butterbur etc.), I dry those for times when I can't find them fresh.

Making them move and belly massages help to pass whatever causes trouble in their digestion.

Same here when my 2yr ish bun recently was acting lethargic, no interest in hay I got very worried.
I didn’t even know what caused it, I was giving him 2 serves of veg, 2 serves pellets each day plenty of access to hay and water and he’s free roaming in my room.
He wasn’t even keen on fruits which he loves, he kept pressing him tummy on the floor and looked very uncomfortable and had really low energy.
I gave him some gas drops and critical care because his poo was very small in size.
I quickly checked with the vet, they advised cut out fruit and veg, give pellets if he is keen to eat that and to bring him in. Vet later said his gut didn’t sounds very good, meds were given ( gut mobility, appetite stimulant and vitamin b12) was given.
He got much better after and I also gave him room to run around.
It’s scary when it happens I know, like the whole world stops. I hope ur bun recovers his appetite and his happy and healthy again.

I would cut out fruits completly for now, and also veggies that are high on carbs and sugar. That he's eating plenty of hay is great.

My rabbits mostly have such episodes when they are shedding their fur, and ingest too much. I always treat it as an emergency when I notice that they aren't eating, first I make them move a lot and give belly massages. I offer the most yummy weeds (hogweed, dandelion, leaves from roses, apple trees and willows, butterbur etc.), I dry those for times when I can't find them fresh.

Making them move and belly massages help to pass whatever causes trouble in their digestion.
Hello I'm new to having a rabbit can you tell me where do you find weeds and leaves for yours?

We were planning to go to the vet tomorrow but now he started zooming around like always, be energetic, and he begs to get fruit and veggies again. There no point in going to the vet now since he's perfectly fine now and comes up to us for attention again and doesn't lay somewhere all day. I think he just had a bad stomach ache

That’s great to hear he is well. More hay is best for their stomach even though my Peter goes nuts when he smells a fruit I have to resist and tell my family also not to give too often because he will suffer of his gut’s not ok.

My rabbit is a rescue and he has this issue everytime it is molting season. So my vet suggested a laxative to be given every 4 hrs. And that is what I always do.

Latest posts

Back