My Rabbit had Kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit Penelope had a litter of kits. I had no idea she was pregnant my daughter had her male rabbit at my house and he must have gotten her and I didn't notice. The only problem is she had them in a blanket on my floor. When I saw her pulling out her hair I knew she was going to have a litter so I quickly made her a nest box but she didn't use it. Can I move the babies and all of her hair she pulled out into the nest box or will they die? I'm kind of panicking and have no idea what to do.

I am not much of a rabbit expert but it I think would probably not be wise to move them if they are still in the blanket but it is up to you also if the blanket is something that the rabbits can have in their enclosure then I would probably put them in with the blanket if you don't want to put the blanket in the cage then if you rub your hands in some hay or straw then you could move them into the nest box if you were really worried but I wouldn't worry to much as I have heard of a lot of cases where the mother gives birth outside the nest box and don't use it at all and even if she had given birth in the cage and there was a nest box then she still may not have used it also if the doe lives outside seeing as it is winter then I think it would be best to bring them inside for the winter otherwise they could well die.

Back