My rabbit had babies and I have a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone_family3

Reaction score
She had four beautiful babies between noon and 2pm today. I just checked on her at 6pm and her bum area was still a bit bloody, should I clean that for her or should I just let her do it herself?

I checked the babies and they have round bellies, are warm and very active, how often should I check them? Honestly I want to be nosy and watch them 24/7, but that's impossible.

She did a great job and made a great nest with lots of fur and the babies are super warm.

Is there anything special I should do for her? I made sure her bowl was full of pellets, she has lots of grass and clean water. I also gave her a few pices of veggies and fruits for being such a good mommy.

Also is there a way to tell what color they are?

Here are pics (sorry they're so bad) of the babies.

IMAG0745 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

IMAG0744 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

IMAG0746 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

IMAG0749 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Here is Mommy, Belldandy.

IMAG0166 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Here is Daddy, Charlie.

IMAG0309 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

She should have cleaned herself off, I'm not sure what the recommendation for that would be.
As far as the babies, you should check them once a day to make sure she is feeding them.
One of them will be colored and white like mommy.
The rest of them will either be the same color as the dad or otter colored.

Thanks so much for you reply. It wasn't a lot of blood just some left on her fur almost like a brush of it. She has seemed to clean most of it off now ( I had to go out and close up the coop).

They all seem very alert and warm currently so I'll just check them in the morning to make sure they made it through the night. Since my bunny lives outside I made sure her cage was far away from the door and window incase there was a draft and she seemed to put more fur on them.

Is it possible that they will be gray like mommy's spots? two seem a bit gray to me. I know I probably won't be able to tell until they're a bit older. I'm just excited.

Awww how cute.. baby bunnies!!!! Aren't you a proud bunny "grandparent"? hehe
Congrats for all the beautiful and healthy bunny "grandchildren"! ;)

The fur will come in about day 3-4 and eyes open about 10 days or so! Good Luck and Congrats on the babies!

Thanks everyone, I'm so proud. I checked them this morning and they were warmie and squirmy. Gave mama some banana which she reluctantly ate while she watched me check the babies.

So proud to say mama and babies are doing fine. We had to move them inside the house because of a coon problem (it was killing my chickens and the rabbits live in a cage in the chicken coop). No more problem now, coon was sent to the great beyond this morning.

Just wanted to update and share some new pictures
This one looks like it'll be spotted just like mommy

IMAG0790 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

This one is gray on top and looks like it'll be a lighter white color on the underside

IMAG0785 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

This one will be mostly like daddy

IMAG0784 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

This one seems to be all gray

IMAG0780 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Secretly I'm hoping they're all girls and I can keep them all.

Really?! Wow that would be great. I didn't know weather effected their gender.

I'm so excited seeing how big they are getting and the little changes that are going on. Like my pinkie bunny actually turning white and the little ones trying to hop.

Latest posts

Back