My Rabbit escaped outside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paige C Oltmanns

Reaction score
My pet rabbit got outside he stays close to home but I can't seam to catch him I set a few traps out and the neighbor kids try to help catch him he's Ben out there for a over a week now any one got any ideas of how to get him to come inside

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's nice to have another Iowan here.

I don't have any help to offer besides it's very important you catch him, especially with this horrible humidity that he's most likely not used to at all. I believe @Hermelin has experience with an escaped rabbit (If not, sorry, just ignore this).

Welcome! I would contact local shelters, animal control offices and/or TNR (trap-neuter-release) programs to see if they can loan you a humane trap - that's probably your best bet. In Texas, it's around $75-80 to rent a humane cat trap from a TNR program (you get the money back when you return the trap). Bait the trap with something particularly strong-smelling and alluring (banana, for example) and cover the trap with a sheet or towel to make it look like a dark tunnel/safe place to duck into. Since you won't necessarily know the instant he gets caught in the trap, make sure to put it somewhere safely shady and it's not a bad idea to put some hay and water in it for him. Rabbits are crepuscular by nature, which means they're most active at dawn and dusk - those are the times when it's most important to check the trap and see if you've caught him.

Latest posts

Back