My rabbit doesn't use the litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimjenny16

Reaction score
My rabbit is litter-trained (95% of times she uses it)
She sometimes pees or poops outside of her litterbox and I'm not sure if she fully trained or not..
Is it because her litterbox is full? (She pees and poops a lot [to me she does -.-] when I clean the litterbox)
:?

How old is she? Is she spayed?

I just responded on another of your questions and mentioned how I set-up my box. Here's a pic... The hay encourages them to go in.

litter box set up 2.jpg

isn't the hay for eating, not .. peeing? My rabbit's supposedly 2 years old (got it from someone) and I'm not entirely sure if she's spayed or not
I put wood bedding and shredded newspaper on top ( X( we're trying to cut back costs on bedding [i have a bird also so quite a lot of work])

Mine also don't use their box much. I started out with paper bedding. I switched to wood shavings, which seems to help some. Putting the hay on top has really helped, especially since they like to eat while they do their business. However, they still poop in other parts of their cage and in one spot in my house. I intend to get another box for that spot. I understand trying to cut back on costs. I have a cat, a cockatiel, and a 13 year-old boy. I have recently separated from my husband, so expenses are really tight. I would say to go ahead and use your wood bedding. Do put the hay on top. Yes, they eat it. They also like it for peeing. It should help, though I can't say that it will be a complete solution. I have yet to get mine to only use their box.

XD (i wanted to scratch out the part with the bird since a lot of people have a loooot more work)
my mom won't like wasting food in a litterbox but *might try that... someday..
(hope your life will get more loose if you know what i mean :p)
thank you for the ..help (?)
and one quick question... is it ok for rabbits to eat newspaper? ('cause i heard it has ink but then today's ink is not poisonous or anything like that) :D

I hope it is. Mine have taken to chewing the pile of paper I keep stashed under the bird cage (for use in the cage). It is definitely better for me than when they chew on the carpet. There has been no harm so far. They don't eat a lot of it. I have seen suggestions to let rabbits chew on old phone books, so I have to assume the ink is ok. Of course, the ink could very well be different.
That didn't help at all, did it?

It's alright XD. I'll just have to go with chance on that one... I'm pretty sure nowadays, ink is ok to consume...
One question (since you raise a cockatiel) my budgie's feathers above his cere have been kind of falling off.
I can see maybe half a mm of his skin (presuming it IS his skin.. -.-)... does he have some kind of mild skin disease?
I'm getting a little paranoid with it.. :/

Has he been scratching a lot? That could do it, in which case he might have mites. Birds are prone to mites. When I was a kid, we had a cockatiel that got them. I don't remember what to do about them though. Do you have an aviary nearby or an avian vet? When I have small problems with Freddy (my cockatiel), I take him to the aviary where I bought him and they help me out.

Aside from his daily grooming no.. and i don't think he can scratch above his cere... usually his foot only scratches the very top of the head (unless he uses his perch)
He doesn't really seem ... that itchy.. (I've been busy with Pipo..rabbit so didn't really notice anything strange)

Well thank you anyways :)
I can see that other rabbits hang out in their litterbox as well (your picture) other than Pipo
I thought it was a little... disgusting XD but I got used to it

I just responded on another of your questions and mentioned how I set-up my box. Here's a pic... The hay encourages them to go in.

Are there any health issues with the rabbits eating any soiled hay? I am thinking about setting up my rabbits' litterboxes this way, but I'm concerned with the possibility of them eating urine soaked hay. How often do you add a layer of hay? And how often do you dump the whole box and start over?

Are there any health issues with the rabbits eating any soiled hay? I am thinking about setting up my rabbits' litterboxes this way, but I'm concerned with the possibility of them eating urine soaked hay. How often do you add a layer of hay? And how often do you dump the whole box and start over?

No, rabbits simply won't eat soiled hay. I understand your misgivings -- I had the same thoughts when I was relatively new to rabbits. I kept getting suggestions to do it this way and when I finally caved, I was soo glad. I haven't regretted it since and I've been doing this now for years (and with different rabbits). It is so much easier to control the hay mess, imo.

Typically I put fresh hay in first thing in the morning and again in the late evening. Sometimes, I also give them some more hay in between too. I've learned that they eat much more hay when it is freshly put in their cage. (Their cage is open all day long).

I totally change out the litter box no more than twice per week. In fact, I keep a spare box and rotate them. I prep the new one and then can just trade them out. Later I hose out the used one and let it air dry.

I have 2 rabbits, and I've resorted to buying hay by the bale. One bale lasts me just shy of a year and costs about $24 -- so it's such a great deal, I don't have to think twice about it being "wasted."

Oh, one other thought. You can see that one of my rabbits is mostly white. Her original mate (in photo below) was pure white. With both her, and the other one, I never had(have) any issues with their paws or belly being soiled or stained. Between their own grooming and the hay, it just is never an issue. I haven't had to ever clean them.

108_6313.jpg

I've found that my rabbit eats more hay while in the box. I only put hay in the litter boxes, as she doesn't have a standard cage to attach a hay rack to. I put a handful in each litter box before I go to bed and when I get up in the morning, the boxes are usually empty of hay. At least one is, if not both. So she just sits in the box and eats hay all night.
She also pees in the corners of the boxes so the pee doesn't touch the hay. And the way their poop is, its like "clean poop", so I don't worry about it being on the hay.
So I suggest putting the hay in the litter box. I know you're trying to keep costs low, but keeping your frustration low is more important sometimes!

Here are some suggestions for keeping costs down. You could buy a bale of hay from a farm store, feed store, horse barn. Any kind of grass hay is fine, timothy is harder to find by the bale depending on where you are. Broome hay, coastal hay, orchard grass. Just not alfalfa because she's an adult. You can get a bale of hay for like $4-15 depending on where you are. Right now it would be the second, possibly third cut (if you're in the south), which are fine cuts.
The bag hays from Kaytee and Oxbow, tend to be WAY over priced. Even though I buy bagged hay, I grumble about it every time I do it.

Buying the wood pellet beddings. I'm not sure if you have the wood pellets or the shavings. But the pellets are cheaper, you get like a 40 lb bag for $6 at Tractor Supply and that lasts me, with 2 litter boxes, months. Its well worth it.

Putting hay in the box would definitely help! Just a little handful and that might just prompt your bun to get into the box and go!

Just had another thought reading back through. Is the rabbit peeing NEXT to the litter box? Like she's putting her butt over the edge? My rabbit does that if the litter box is dirty. Or if your rabbit is putting her butt over the edge, the box may be too small. Just a though! :upsidedown:

Last edited:
Or the alternative we use--we have a hay rack right nest to the litter box, so the wood shavings and the hay stay separate and they can still eat the hay while they are in the box. Another trick I use with some is to put the litter box inside a cardboard box and cut out an entry and leave the rest higher--Spike would get in his box and hike up his back end and then pee outside his box while standing in it, so, the higher sides took care of that problem and cardboard boxes are cheap and easy to come by.

Now my rabbit has two washrooms :p... she just pees in the corner across from her litterbox...
I put her litterbox in that corner but she just does her business in another corner -.-

Now my rabbit has two washrooms :p... she just pees in the corner across from her litterbox...
I put her litterbox in that corner but she just does her business in another corner -.-

I am still working with both my rabbits. At one point Gracie had 4 litter boxes in an area about 10ft by 4ft. But that's what it took to get her to pee in them. Now I have her down to 3 and she is having no pee accidents. Charlie on the other hand is better but still about once a day pee's next to his box, and he has three also. Just be patient and keep it up. Before you know it she'll be potty trained!

I think I figured out a reason. :p I think my rabbit prefers actual bedding than newspaper.. i just covered half of it in the actual litter bedding since she always does her business on the right side... she didn't pee in the corner today.. hope that keeps up :)

Latest posts

Back