My rabbit chews with one eye closed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
This started a few weeks ago. He's an 11 mos. old mini rex. We brought him to the vet because right when this started, he wouldn't eat. It's possible the eye thing started before but I had only noticed when he stopped eating. They kept him overnight and found some gas in his scans. About 3 days later, he was eating normally again.

Now a couple weeks later, he's been eating beautifully, pooping lots of nice poops, running around, binkying, drinking, being his normal self. However, he still chews with one eye closed. After I sent a video to the vet, he said I shouldn't worry for right now and if need be, he'll do a CT scan ($$$$) which I'd like to avoid.

If he's really acting normal and healthy, is there a cause for worry? There's no discharge, redness, lethargy, or flinching with I touch the area.

I would say it's okay. Just keep an eye on him. If he starts acting up, take him to the vet. But until signs of pain or worry come he should be just fine. :)

This started a few weeks ago. He's an 11 mos. old mini rex. We brought him to the vet because right when this started, he wouldn't eat. It's possible the eye thing started before but I had only noticed when he stopped eating. They kept him overnight and found some gas in his scans. About 3 days later, he was eating normally again.

Now a couple weeks later, he's been eating beautifully, pooping lots of nice poops, running around, binkying, drinking, being his normal self. However, he still chews with one eye closed. After I sent a video to the vet, he said I shouldn't worry for right now and if need be, he'll do a CT scan ($$$$) which I'd like to avoid.

If he's really acting normal and healthy, is there a cause for worry? There's no discharge, redness, lethargy, or flinching with I touch the area.
it sounds like you've been keeping in contact with your vet, and doing the right thing. if I were you though, I would go ahead and spend the money to do a CT scan if this continues for any longer. normally, eye problems are related to the jaw / teeth area so there is most likely a underlying problem that will need to get fix eventually. I would go into the vet if possible, and try to resolve this issue before it becomes any worse! just my opinion. I've had some bad past experiences on waiting before going to the vet, and it actually costed me way more time and money in the long run. let us know how your fur baby is doing, though! 🐇💕

on the other hand, if he is eating and pooping perfectly fine, its probably is not a major problem. but from the sounds of it, he is probably in some pain!

Back