My precious Miguel is dying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellee4213

Reaction score
Tonight we went to the vet with Miguel to check up on his sore hocks. Little did we know he has an enlarged kidney and a tumor. We suspected something was up because he wasn't eating much, but peeling a lot and had runny poop. He has 1-2 months to live at best. He is six years old and the vet said if he gets worse, he may have to be put down but that is up to us. He is on critical care, but he won't eat it. I switched him to fleece, do you have any advice on how to make him more comfortable? I can't stop crying because I love him so much and I'm not ready to let him go. :imsick: Please help!

:( I'm so sorry, that's terrible.

It may help to get him some pain meds, like metacam. If a bunny won't eat it's usually a sign that they're in pain.

I'm so sorry for your bun. Was it decided the tumor couldn't be removed or treated? If removal isn't possible, radiation may be an option if you feel it would be the best thing for your bun. Has your rabbit received any medications to help in the meantime? Your bun should definitely be on pain meds. Are you syringe feeding the critical care? Is it just difficult to get him to take it or won't he swallow it at all?
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thym/Thymoma_rab.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thymoma_Guzman_et_al.pdf

I'm so sorry! My heart is breaking for you! I wish I knew something to help but I'm still new to bunnies. You & Miguel are in my prayers. Give him anything he wants & spend as much time as you can and he wants/will let you loving him

I'm so sorry! My heart is breaking for you! I wish I knew something to help but I'm still new to bunnies. You & Miguel are in my prayers. Give him anything he wants & spend as much time as you can and he wants/will let you loving him

Thank you so much!! This really means a lot!

I'm so sorry for your bun. Was it decided the tumor couldn't be removed or treated? If removal isn't possible, radiation may be an option if you feel it would be the best thing for your bun. Has your rabbit received any medications to help in the meantime? Your bun should definitely be on pain meds. Are you syringe feeding the critical care? Is it just difficult to get him to take it or won't he swallow it at all?
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thym/Thymoma_rab.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thymoma_Guzman_et_al.pdf

Thank you!! The vet said because of the location/size removal is not possible, and surgery is not an option because she said there is a decent chance he won't survive, plus the price is outrageous. She said Miguel is not in any pain, but she said if he gets worse, euthanasia is an option to put him out of his suffering. I am syringe feeding the critical and he won't take it or swallow it. I don't know how to force it because I don't want to hurt him as he is rapidly losing weight. Any advice would be great!

Sorry i have no advice as i am no expert, but i can send love from all us here and pray that you and he manage some more time together , in peace and in no pain... I have lost a bunny and know the heartbreak and the feeling of not being able to help.. just know there are people here who care and will listen even if we cant physically help... Bless you both xxxxx

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny Miguel!!! I'm so sorry that you are in this situation and I know how horrible it must be for you to be in this situation and having to go through this. It's not something any of us look foward to and my heart breaks for you.

Concerning treatment, you were saying the price is too much and she said that is a chance he won't survive. Have you spoken to another vet to get a second opinion?

I agree with Jbun to check into radiation and see what other options are available other than euthanasia.

Did she indicate where the tumor is that makes it inoperable?

Saying there is a decent change he would not survive to me wouldn't be a factor if in fact removing the tumor would improve the situation. The same could be said in any surgery we all have a 50/50 chance of making it. She is saying he is not in pain, so why euthanasia to put him out of his suffering? Just from the tumor? I'm sorry I'm just a bit confused on that.

I would get a second opinion and check into Jbun's option for radiation and see if any other vets in your area can
give you a good idea of other options on what can be done.

Regarding eating, I know in humans there is a liquid called Megace that they gave to my mother when she was paralyzed and didn't want to eat. It would stimulate the individual to eat and they also give it to Aids/Hiv patients to get them to eat and gain weight. I'm not certain, but check with your vet to see if there is an animal version of this you can give Miguel.

I know this is a tough time for you and please hang in there and I hope you can get him to eat and see if the vets can give you medicine to get his appetite going..

Hang in there
Vanessa

If he is still not eating very well and this is the reason for having to syringe feed, then it's likely that he is feeling discomfort and pain. This is a main reason that a rabbit will stop eating. So pain meds are essential to help restore a rabbits lack of appetite. I'm a bit surprised that your vet doesn't know this and didn't put your rabbit on at least some metacam, though a stronger pain med may be needed. If it were my bun, I would insist on being given pain meds.

A rabbit refusing to swallow is a very bad sign, so you want to get the pain meds right away. Vit B shots can also sometimes help to stimulate appetite. You may also need to be giving sub q fluids to ensure your bun doesn't get dehydrated. Also adding higher calorie foods can help with weight gain. Things like a nice leafy alfalfa hay and regular rolled oats. Just make sure to introduce gradually into the diet.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your bun Miguel ..I have recently lost a bun who was in obvious pain but being a new bun owner i had no idea what was going on till it was too late.Is he grinding his teeth and/or grunting or anything?I agree with jbun and Lovelops if he is not eating then he needs to be on pain meds.if your vet won't do this then you need to find another vet to prescibe him something for pain.If he gets the pain controled it should be much easier to get him to eat..Good Luck and we will all be praying for him.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sick bunny love. I went through what you're going through just over the end of year holidays. My Bella stopped eating because of dental issues caused by some underlying, probably liver related disease. Unfortunately, I lost her in mid-January because we weren't quick enough at getting her diagnosed. I think you have some options treatment wise, and I'm sure others on the forum can offer better advice on that than I can.

However, I definitely went through the not-eating-losing-weight issue with her, and I probably owe my last two weeks with her to being able to keep her weight up. If he's having trouble eating, my best advice is to double down on the amount of critical care. As far as I know, there is no other magic weight gain bunny rememedy. Critical Care is what Bella was always put on at multiple vets. That, and if hospitalized, an IV drip to get fluids up. So, if you're at home, I think your best bet is Critical Care. I know you're saying that he's not eating it, but how are you going about feeding it to him? There are numerous ways of trying to convince him to eat it.

I tried a few different ways that worked for me. The first was to blend/mash up some of Bella's favorite treats (carrots/banana/strawberry) and mix it with the dry critical care. It developed into a paste and then I rolled it into pea size balls that she could work on over night. It was convenient to me to count the number of balls before I gave them to her so I could track her progress and get an idea how much she was eating. I also mixed the critical care into a drizzly consistency using a half-and-half mixture of fresh apple juice and water, instead of just all water. This she was able to lick up on her own from a plate. Once she started to lose enough weight, however, I started syringe feeding her. Luckily, she LOVED getting nutrients through the syringe, and would like, scale her cage trying to get to it when she saw me coming. So, it wasn't too painful for me to give her large quantities of CC at once. If he won't take it any other way, give it to him through syringe. I have had to force feed her through the syringe in the past, when she was feeling really really sick, and it's just a necessary evil. Try to get it into him as many different ways as possible!

Good luck, I'll send positive thoughts your way!

Back