My older buck looks unwell

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ofelia

Reaction score
Just when I thought I had no health issues with my buns, I noticed this morning that Slipper, my fragile boy is off colour.
His ears are not warm, his temp reads normal, he has normal looking bunner poop, is eating ...well is eating a bit, loved the veges I gave him this morning.
The problem is he is just kind of limp and quiet.

I would not even know what to say to the vet...its just a kind of intuition I think.

Slippers History quickly:

He is supposed to be quite young but when I got him I seriously doubted that and vets have told me that he is possibly elderly and there is definitely something not quite right with him as he is mostly blind.

He is a mystery.
He is happy and mostly the sweetest little man.
But sometimes I wonder how much his environment really matters to him.
He seems unaffected somehow.
Jazz tends to herd him around.He never defends himself if there are any scraps among the buns.
He likes to sun himself a lot.
He runs into things and has previously been on antibiotics in case his issues could be solved.

He grunts a bit. He is permanently slim no matter how much he eats and he normally loves his food. He eats quite a few pellets...about 3/4 cup a day plus 1 to 2 cups of veges a day and he drinks well too.

He has always been a bit , how can I say...mentally disabled in a way. It does not sound nice to say that but I am trying to be realistic here. He has been back and forth to the vet. The vets shrug and say his health is satisfactory but there is something no one can put their finger on.

I would best describe him as an elderly man with downs syndrome or some other deprecating illness. Its like he is quietly and painlessly fading away.

I have spent $100's on him to no avail.

Will he just fade away.

I am going to keep him in a dog crate in my room for a few days and just cuddle him lots.

I would try to warm him up a little if his ears are cold and watch him carefully. I know what you mean that he seems like he's slipping but not anything definite.
You described him well..I have a clear pic in my mind of what he's like.

Just keep us up-dated for any other changes but I do think you should keep an eye on him.

Have you tried to give him any bene-bac? Sometimes I catch Patrick with that far-away look to his eye. I usually try to make the guess that his tummy doesn't feel the best for him. I can tell it is not gas, but something else. He likes his bene-bac, so there isn't that much of a struggle to give it to him. Usually he is bouncing around again in a few hours after I give the bene-bac to him. Maybe senior buns just need a bit more help with tummy flora to feel better.

Just a thought because I know that the bene-bac can't hurt them, and I feel comfortable giving it to my little guy even if I am just guessing.

myheart

I am not sure what bene bac is but is sounds like a good gut bacteria, as is found in acidophilus yogurt. I will do whatever it takes to get his energy back. He is no better/no worse.

He is just THERE, not much feeling/emotion/activity etc but he is eating well. He scoffed down a mega load of food today and his poops look healthy too.

He looks tired.
Will try get a pic up asap.

The replies are much appreciated.

Off to go check on the rest of my buns :) Its been several hours!!!! Yikes, I hav been busy.

Wow.... He is only three?!!! Is he bonded to any other bun? Maybe he is lonely, especiallyif he seems to eat and poo normally. Three is too young to have such moods. My Patrick is six, so I guess I kind of expect him to be a little distant at times, especially when he finds a warm sunny spot to warm up his little old bones:D.

I would consider finding a bond for him to hang out with. Rabbits are social creatures, and if your schedule is busy now with school or work, he might be missing you. I little girlfriend would perk him right up as long as what is wrong with him is not a medical issue.

myheart

Sorry about the confusion, I wrote "he is just there", not three.

I really don't know how old he is.

He has a lot of fuss made over him from Jazz and Iggy.
He gets groomed constantly, herded around by Jazz like he is a baby and of course he snuggles up to me whenever I go near him with food.

He has a lot of company, I could not bear to lose him so close to the shocking loss of Hiccup.
Slipper is THE sweetest little bumblebee of a bunny.
He just lops around oblivious to everything, sad in a way too. When I plane goes overhead, all the bunners dive for cover and he just sways from side to side and plops on.

I just love him to bits, he is my favourite bunny. Of course I know I should not have favourites but it was no choice, I just feel more attached to him, maybe because he reminds me of BK.

Ofelia Do you think that he is possibly deaf? I am responding only to what you said about a plane going over. maybe he is oblivious because he doesn't hear anything?:?

Yes I think he is deaf, even when the lawnmower is out, he does not care, BUT when I call him for food, he follows me in the right direction....lol. I always calll out...Here bunner bunner bunner ( I know very silly) in a high pitch and from the back door, he starts dancing around, paws up ad looking very happy.

Will post pics asap

We highly suspect that our MooShu has impaired hearing and/or vision.
The vet exam was inconclusive...no cataracts, infection, obstructions, etc.

Moosh is the only bun that really doesn't seem to react when the lights go on (or off for that matter).
She also seems to prefer to be leaning against something and is uneasy when she's out in an open area.
She isn't as sensitive to loud noises as the other buns either.

We think she hears and sees to some extent, but not at 100%.

Annnnd, she always seems to know when it's time for food! (ESP?)
I'm beginning to think that this might be an extra sense for bunnies....like they can just "feel" that it's feeding time.

Latest posts

Back