My new bunnys teeth look weird

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelybunny22

Reaction score
Hello do my bunnys teeth normal?? I want to know hes okay. He is a holland lop and he seems to eat pellets perfectly fine.

Attachments

• FB0637FB-3879-4AB3-BCBE-6206DDB7ED5D.png
    FB0637FB-3879-4AB3-BCBE-6206DDB7ED5D.png
    646.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 992FA5DE-9537-4CCE-9BBA-C88A16309424.jpeg
    992FA5DE-9537-4CCE-9BBA-C88A16309424.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 16
He needs to be seen by a rabbit-savvy vet -- those teeth do not look healthy and since rabbit teeth constantly grow, they will only get worse if left on their own. Those teeth are likely not meeting with the top incisors to get grinded down, which is why they're like that. Improper diet (i.e., low hay consumption) also can be a huge contributor.

They are misaligned, look overgrown (?), and whether it is the shape of the jaw, angle of the photo, relationship with the top incisors, or a combination of some of those, they seem angled drastically outwards, rather than being more vertical.

It's great that he's eating pellets, and also he needs to see a vet as soon as possible to get this resolved. Please make sure hay is also in his diet. It is the most important part of a rabbit's diet and keeps their teeth maintained at a healthy length.

Last edited:
He needs to be seen by a rabbit-savvy vet -- those teeth do not look healthy and since rabbit teeth constantly grow, they will only get worse if left on their own. Those teeth are likely not meeting with the top incisors to get grinded down, which is why they're like that. Improper diet (i.e., low hay consumption) also can be a huge contributor.

They are misaligned, look overgrown (?), and whether it is the shape of the jaw, angle of the photo, relationship with the top incisors, or a combination of some of those, they seem angled drastically outwards, rather than being more vertical.

It's great that he's eating pellets, and also he needs to see a vet as soon as possible to get this resolved. Please make sure hay is also in his diet. It is the most important part of a rabbit's diet and keeps their teeth maintained at a healthy length.
We just got him a day ago from our neighbor. Hes 5 months and im gunna try to get help for him! Thanks so much

No, definitely not normal.

In my experience, if bunny's teeth can't be seen when you look at them, they most likely have good teeth and get enough to chew in order to naturally file the continuously growing teeth.. and keep in mind they actually have 28 teeth in those sweet little faces! So there's more than just these ones we see, we need to be concerned about.
This indicates an issue and needs to be seen by an exotic veterinarian that has a bunny savvy vet ASAP, for your bunny's health and spirit.
This is not going to be a cheep visit, so prepare yourself.
The teeth will most definitely need to be filed down and mostly likey your bunny is either in discomfort, pain or both at this time and therefore they can cause eating issues if it hasn't already. Please get your bun bun into a bunny savvy vet right away.
If you can not afford the vet (bunny's are super expensive), I'd suggest reaching out to your local rabbit or wildlidlfe rescue, explain your bunny's situation and see if they have any way to assist you
I wish you and your bunny luck 🤞 and please please, keep us posted 👍💙

Last edited:
If those are the incisors sticking out, then like mentioned by the others, that's not normal and he needs to be seen by an experienced rabbit vet right away. When incisors are aligned properly, they'll wear against each other to keep from getting overgrown. When they don't align properly, they'll become overgrown, and can get to the point of pushing into the tissue causing sores, and could lead to the rabbit no longer being able to chew and eat.

Incisor malocclusion is usually caused by genetics(short faced holland lops are especially at risk) or some sort of trauma to the face(pulling on cage bars, falling, etc). The incisors will need to be properly trimmed by a rabbit vet, very possibly for life. With regular trimming, there is a possibility they could correct over time, but that also depends on what caused them to misalign to begin with(eg. genetic, trauma, rabbits growth stage). If lifetime trims are necessary, sometimes extraction will be the recommended course.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Malocclusion
Medirabbit: malocclusion

(Contains medical related photos)
Dental Disease in Pet Rabbits- Frances Harcourt-Brown

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back