My new bun is trying to eat more than just his food.......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybear23

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I was having a problem with Oreo eating too much food, but now hes trying to eat paper, my clothes, and even more. What should I do about this problem? Hes going to eat me out of house and home lol!:eats

I've got the same problem. (The little :censored2just took a chunk out of my good couch!

Here are all the suggestions:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17

I've just been too lazy to follow most of them. :lookaround

My place is decorated with NIC cube panelson every corner, every door jam, etc, though. And they've been teaching me to pick up my clothes. :bow (Even when I'm wearing them). :shock:

With five free run buns,though, theyfind new spots I never thought of.

Like the couch. :angryrant

(May be time for a :shhhhC-A-G-E or three aound here).

EDIT: I should add thatI haven't gotten my butt out the door to get themtheir dried apple tree branches and other distractionslike cardboard boxes, especiallywedged in blocking somewhere where they're not supposed to go.:disgust: (They particularly like chewing on things that are stationary).

Also check out Naturestee's blog. She's got a video of her bunnies playing with a a bag of hay cubes, and thatcertainly kept them busy. :)

sas :grumpyand mobile teeth quintet:bunny17:bunny17:bunny17:bunny17:bunny17

Thanks to one of my bunnies, I now have holes in all my green clothes and all my zippers are useless because some bunny chewed through the zipper and all while I was wearing them!

It's just something they do, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than try to entertain him with lots of toys.

what is it that they like so much about paper and clothes? Is it just something to chew on. Do baby bunnies teethe like babies do or something? Which I dont really know if Oreo is still a baby but he/she is really little.

Rabbits chew, plain and simple. Their teeth never stop growing so they chew to keep them trim. It's not teething because rabbits have one permanent set of teeth that are there are birth (I think they are anyways). Does he have hay? Hay can help to distract them but it's largely a natural instinct.

You'll need to do some bunny proofing (check the link that Pipp gave you) and have a water bottle on hand. When he starts to chew something he shouldn't, clap your hands and say no. If he's persistant, clap your hands, say no, and shoo him away. Very persistent rabbits should be clapped at, told no, and sprayed with water. You need to watch the rabbit closely while he's out otherwise he'll just learn to chew behing your back! Now my rabbits understand the word no and I rarely need to spray them.

Also, baby bunnies are like baby cats and dogs. They're hyper and they play a lot. He'll slow down in time, but till then you'll need to be on top of things so he doesn't hurt himself or your house. Rabbits can get blockages from swallowing pieces of carpet and the varnish and such on furniture isn't exactly healthy.

Toys are a great distraction. Boxes with two bunny-sized holes cut in them are a favorite, especially if you stuff some hay or newspaper inside. Here's a bit of proof:
[URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/naturestee/The%20First%20Day/Movies/?action=view&current=100_1863.flv]

Or just a pile of newspapers in a secluded corner:
th_FeyandSpritedigging.jpg
[/url]

And here's the video Pipp mentioned. I stuffed oat hay and some alfalfa cubes in a paper lunch bag and tied it shut with twine. This is a treat I put in my rabbits' cages when I'm not able to let them out as much for a day or two. It keeps them busy.;)

Latest posts

Back