My new baby flemmies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bad kelpie

Reaction score
My other thread is too depressing, so I'm starting a new thread.

Basically, here's the story. I went looking for a bunny friend for Basil. Basil's "breeder" posted babies for sale. I contacted him, and they were very young. He didn't care, said they're eating on their own, they gotta go. :(. I didn't want to get bunnies this young, but he was going to get rid of them no matter who took them.

I went to get them today, asked about DOB, he didn't know. I asked what they were being fed, he pointed to the handful of pellets in the 5 gallon bucket he brought them in and said, "that". He didn't know the brand. He didn't know how old "about 3 weeks". Even my friends who were with me commented that he didn't care one bit about them.

So I have babies, 3 or 4 weeks old, or who knows, maybe older. They're eating timothy hay, pellets, and small amounts of grass (from un-sprayed sources), drinking from the water bottle, pooping, are alert and happy, and super friendly. So instead of worrying, I'm just gonna be happy I have them.

They're supposed to be "flemish rabbits", but I suspect mixes. Basil (in my avatar) was sold as a "flemish rabbit" too, and he's definitely a mutt. I don't care.

I watched a few youtube videos showing how to tell the gender, and I think I have 2 females (which was the best case scenario).

The light one is Hazel (I tried to resist since my cats have rhyming names), the other might be Poppy. Not sure yet.

Now for the pictures. The camera had been in the car and the lens kept fogging up, so some are hazy.

8543426755_7746542ba5_z.jpg

8544524084_d2f7a3031b_z.jpg

8544523976_6d5ee6b1a4_z.jpg

8543426427_7a71713df4_z.jpg

Can't blame you for snatching them up. Some people I tell ya. He should be beat with a large stick. But aren't they adorable! Can't wait to see more updates on them

well the citrus box tells it right there, their cutties
I'm very happy for you get ready for easter .

One more from this morning. They love grass! In a couple weeks (or whenever I know they're too big to get out of the x-pen), I'll let them start grazing.

8544629027_4af859edfa_z.jpg

Anyone know what Poppy's color would be called? Hazel is an agouti, I'm guessing, or would be if she were a rat :). But Poppy is somewhere between agouti and black.

They are so cute! So glad you got them! Thanks for taking them & truly giving them a great home where they will be loved!

Congrats on your babies. Feed them tons of hay and I would want to give them some probiotics just to make sure. Taking babies away from mom at 3-4 weeks is very dangerous. They are just beginning to try regular food but can still be predominantly nursing.

The one on the left is a gold tipped (I think) steel and the right is a chestnut agouti or sandy if referring to Flemish colors. Steel and sandy are both recognized in Flemish but man are their ears small. Very cute though

Yeah, I wish their ears were longer, I love Flemish ears, Basil has them.

They are continuing to do very well, eating primarily grass and hay, and lots of it. I took them to my sister's house and let them run around, man, they are sweet! Basil is not cuddly or sweet, he'll come up, but doesn't want to ever be held or petted. I think he takes after the checkered side. The babies were running around, and following us around, climbing on the human baby (she was NOT liking that). They love being held and petted. When they were tired from running, they came over and layed down by my feet. I picked them up and they fell asleep together in my arms. I am glad I got both of them, because I think it really helps them to have each other.

I must say these little ones are adorable!! It's a shame that the breeder doesn't seem to care about them :( I wish people were smarter about taking care of bunnies, as well as other animals. I'm very glad that you were there to take these little ones and they found a good home! I think all too often they are given to homes that don't know what to do. To be honest I was a little on that side when I first got Isis and Basil, but I did research to make sure I was taking care of them right, unlike some people. I'm sure your little ones are very blessed!!

Latest posts

Back