My new baby bunny seems huge!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foreverblue127

Reaction score
My new bun that is three months old seems to be quite large. But as far as buns go I am not sure how large he is supposed to be. He is a Holland lop/dutch rabbit mix. when he is laying down flat he seems to be about a 10-12 inches long. I am NOT counting his legs either! From his nose to his bum. Is this about right? I am new to owning rabbits.I got my other rabbit as an adult. I know size varies by breed...

How much does he weigh?

When I was younger I bought an adult "dutch" rabbit that was supposidly full grown. Turned out to be a baby American Chinchilla! She grew and grew and grew!!! Sometimes it may be buyer beware. The guy knew what answer I wanted.

Well the humane society had pictures of both parents and the bunnies birth date. He looks exactly like his father the Holland lop. He cannot even be neutered yet because he's too young.The people who had them seemed to take really good care of him, I don't really see a reason for them to lie about it.He's well socialized although still shy.He's just a big boy I guess. Even the lady at the humane society commented on how big he is. What's a typical size for a three month old?

MiniLopHop wrote:
How much does he weigh?

When I was younger I bought an adult "dutch" rabbit that was supposidly full grown. Turned out to be a baby American Chinchilla! She grew and grew and grew!!! Sometimes it may be buyer beware. The guy knew what answer I wanted.
No way :O you owned an american chinchilla, i almost consider that a prize more then a lie from the seller! Ive read they are at risk for extinction, and the history behind them is amazing.

My holland boy was about 2lbs at 3 months old and ended up at 4lbs. His body is very short and stocky, so he's not 10-12" long when he lays down.

My mini lop is 5.5lbs (I didn't have her as a baby though) and it about 10-12 inches.

I just measured peanut and he is almost 13 inches from nose to bum. But my other bun is much larger. His breed is unknown. I have NEVER been around rabbit before and have not even seen many. I need to go and look at other types of rabbits. Sheesh, I am totally confused! But with all that said both buns are happy and healthy. I don't care if they are small or large,I was just curious about it all.

Halucinate wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
How much does he weigh?

No way :O you owned an american chinchilla, i almost consider that a prize more then a lie from the seller! Ive read they are at risk for extinction, and the history behind them is amazing.
Really? I didn't know she was that special, other than to me of course. She was a house bun back in the late 80s. Then my stupid brother-in-law let her outside just to be mean. We had some HUGE wild rabbits that had chinchilla fur shortly there after. The rabbits at my mom's house still show her blood line influence. Cosette was a good bunny.

MiniLopHop wrote:
Halucinate wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
How much does he weigh?

Really? I didn't know she was that special, other than to me of course. She was a house bun back in the late 80s. Then my stupid brother-in-law let her outside just to be mean. We had some HUGE wild rabbits that had chinchilla fur shortly there after. The rabbits at my mom's house still show her blood line influence. Cosette was a good bunny.
Yes! that is unreal, and it makes me smile.. for the sole reason that, they were used at meat rabbits for years, and for that reason there breed is becoming less and less common (i could NEVER imagine using such a beautiful creature as a meal :( ).

Well more the giant chinchilla rabbits, but those as well are FAR less common, then they were several hundreds of years ago. Thats really awesome. :)

Its not like there hard to come by, its that most people who do own them, have rescued them from a very short life.

Latest posts

Back