My Neighbor's Scenario

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinirabbit

Reaction score
Howdy

Here is the thing: My neighbor's daughter (6) recently met my rabbit,Annabelle, and fellin love with her. She now is begging hermum for a rabbit.

The mum doesn't know what to say...After some research she found outthat improper handling can lead to a jump and death...She says 'I lovemy daughter, but I can't moniter her with the bunny 24/7'

She now is at lost as to agree or decline...BUT, her daughter was verygood with the rabbit, aside from her constant begging to feed itveggies and her loud voice.

Then, the mum figured, well she's got the rabbit, she knows best!

Soo, I have to decide whether a little girl should get a bunny.

Help. Your opinion is greatly needed :?

i wouldnt get a 6 yr old a bunny. theres justtoo much that can go wrong. and will her mom take care of it when sheloose intrest? id say most kids would quickly lose intrestest when theyfind out that rabbits dont really like to be snuggled, or packed around.

I would say decline because no matter how muchthe 6 year old may love the bunny and be good with it; in the end itwill be the adult who has to take care of matters.

The telling statement here is the mother saying she can't monitor thechild with the bunny 24/7. To me, that says that eventually the bunnywill end up locked in its cage and not bothered with.

Don't take the chance. I would sincerely but politely say no.

Hope this helps.

Blyre

I would say yes. I was 4 when we gotour first bunny, and my mother had a day care at the time.Peter (RIP) lived to the ripe old age of 13.

Also, my mother now has Nutmeg in her preschool. He stays ina pen in the preschool when the kids are there and all the children arevery good to him. They know not to pick him up and they givehim pats and pick dandilions for him from the yard.

If the little girl is shown how to interact with the bunny on the floor then she should be okay.

Yes something could happen, but chances are once she learns how to playproperly with the bunny it will be okay. And at 6 it won't belong before she has enough motor skills to handle the rabbit properly.

--Dawn

I think it depends on the mother. She needs torealize that she, not her daughter, will be ultimately responsible forthe bunny. I suppose if the mother is willing to care for the bunny andshow her daugter proper care, then *maybe* yes.

Let me just add a bit to my responce above, I was in a rush and had to leave some details out.

When I had my rabbit as a young child, my mother was the caretaker,cleaning the cage, feeding etc. But as I got older, itgradually transfered to me.

I agree that the mother must take ultimate responsability for thebunnies care, but I don't think her daughter would harm it.Many families grow up with pets, and I think it's very important forchildren to have that animal companionship, and learn about theresponsability.

If done correctly, having a bunny in a family with small children isnot a problem. As long as parents are primary care-takers,and children are taught the rules of handling bunny from day one.

--Dawn

I have been doing a lot of research about breedsbecause I want to get another bun. I was reading about how larger bunsare better for kids because kids are less likely to keep trying to pickthem up. I have a 5yr old and did not get the bun for him. I keep alock on the cage at night because it is difficult to watch a childevery second of every day. My son is careful with the bun but I do notleave him alone with her because you never know what they are thinkingat such a young age.
Mom has to realize that she will have to taketotal care of the animal and not leave the child alone with it. Or geta larger one and insist she never picks it up. the humane society wouldbe a great place for her as a wise person just advised me, because theyalready have their personality and she could pick out a laid backrabbit. It is a hard decision, tell her all the care involved and seewhat she says. Encourage her to research online.
good luck

Well, it would not be a good idea to hand over abunny to a six year old child and expect it to take proper care of it.Like others have said, it will be ultimatly the mother's role to makesure the rabbit is cared for, and supervise her daughter with it. Butif her mother is willing to do that, then she could probably have therabbit. But the girl would have to be taught how to handle it, and whatto do with it. And if she does get the rabbit, it probably wouldn't bea good idea to pair her up with a nervous or young rabbit, because it'dprobably end up getting scared if she doesn't handle it properly.

manda wrote:
iwouldnt get a 6 yr old a bunny. theres just too much that can go wrong.and will her mom take care of it when she loose intrest? id say mostkids would quickly lose intrestest when they find out that rabbits dontreally like to be snuggled, or packed around.
I agree.

Blyre wrote:
Iwould say decline because no matter how much the 6 year old may lovethe bunny and be good with it; in the end it will be the adult who hasto take care of matters.

The telling statement here is the mother saying she can't monitor thechild with the bunny 24/7. To me, that says that eventually the bunnywill end up locked in its cage and not bothered with.
:yeahthat

I see this so often with shelter rabbits, and with rabbits that myfriends had when I was a kid. If the adult isn't interestedin taking full responsibility, the rabbit soon becomes ignored like anold toy, especially when the rabbit grows older and is no longer thecute tiny baby. That's how I got three of my four rabbits,the ones that I didn't get as babies. The kids just weren'tinterested in them anymore.

If the mom wants to get a rabbit as her own pet, that'sgreat. Help her do some research (join this forum;), and readthis website http://www.rabbit.org/ for starters) and make sure sheknows how long rabbits can live and that they need daily care andexercise, vet treatment, a big cage, toys, etc.

I would tell the mother that if SHE wants to bethe main caretaker of the bunny, and teach her child how to properly(and under direct supervision) handle the bun and do things with thebun, then it's a good idea.

I have a six year old daughter, but she's a GREAT listener, andunderstands that I am the main caretaker. She knows thateverything that happens goes through me, and that she is not okay withjust letting Maisie out to do whatever.

As long as the child is a good listener (in other words, won't betrying to let the bun out if Mama's not looking/paying attention) andthe mom understands that it's not a kind of pet that can live in thechild's room in a cage it's whole life, then she's fine. Shedoes have to understand the full responsibility of owning a rabbit,though, so you might want to print out some articles from the HouseRabbit Society's site for her to read and fully be able to grasp whathaving a bun really requires.

Let us know how it goes, ok?

P.S. Another thing I'd like to add is the fact that we brought home ourkitties when our daughter was about four years of age, and they wereVERY young (four weeks, NOT something I recommend, as it was only undera special circumstance that I brought them home that young).Anyway, we had a talk with our daughter, and she understood that shewasn't allowed to pick them up or do much of anything with them at thetime we brought them home. She was VERY good at doing what weasked in regards to their care, and now that they're almost two, sheand the kitties really love each other. They've never beenafraid of her, in fact, our Hobbes is her little play friend!He follows her around the house and meows at her door in the morningbecause he wants to see her. It's adorable.

Like I said, as long as the mother knows who the true caretaker willbe, and the daughter is responsible enough to at least do what hermother's asking with the bun, she should be fine. Six yearolds are much more capable than many people give them creditfor. :)

Well I'm another one that started having rabbitsat about 4 years old. I had 2, both Californians. Big beauty's theywere! That started my love of rabbits, that has stayed with me my wholelife.

But with ANY pet of course the parents have to be ultimatelyresponsible and should be making sure the rabbit is taken care of, andsetting down the ground rules.

I have a 8 year old son, we've had rabbits since he was about 3 yearsold. Of course they were mostly "MY" rabbits. :) But he has lovedrabbits now as well. From day one he was not allowed to pick them up.And still can not pick them up. I do place them in his arms once he'salready sitting down on the ground. He helps me fill the water bottlesand gives them hay. He loves watching and playing with them. But he hasbeen taught to respect them and treat them well.

I think having pets as a child is wonderful, and it helps this nextgeneration to learn to love and care for animals properly. It does takework from the parents to teach them and make sure the animal is beingwell loved and cared for. So if this mother isn't prepared to do all ofthat, then I'd have to sadly say no. But if she can do that, then Ithink that would be great for this little girl!

No matter WHO ends up taking care of the rabbit,I would not let myself get placed in a situation where it was ME whowas making that kind of decision. This is a decision thatshould be made in the little girl's home because that is where therabbit is intended to live.

Another thing you could do, is have the littlegirl come over with her mommaybe a few times a week and showher about rabbits and rabbit care.

Sometimes (I know I've done this a few times..) you get so excitedabout the possibilty of getting anewbunny thatyou don't really think the whole thingthrough.Unless the mom wants arabbit MORE then thedaughter, I'd say a huge no. Too much responsiblity on a child thatyoung will just make her loose intrest quicker.

Iwould agree, the mother should be making hte decission, notyou. If she doesn't agree 100% on getting a rabbit as it sounds likeshe's stillvery unsure I would tellher maybe tothink about itmore.

Getting a big bunny is a good idea. I'm 13, and I have a hard timehandlingarabbit who doesn't wantto beheld. Most likely, as soon as the rabbit struggles her first reactionwill beto let go of it. They'd have to get a VERYfriendly big bunny too.. as soon as it bites or scratches or doesn'twant to be cuddle,children can be discouraged very fast.

Honestly, I think it's rather irresponsible for the Mother to be asking YOU to make her decisions for her.

She's already stated that she cannot watch her daughter with it 24/7,so that there gives the answer that needs to be said... and SHE needsto face the facts that parenting is not about always pleasing thechild... there are many tough decisions that need to be made that willbe disappointing to her child, but guess what?... OH WELL!That's life.

I would tell her... You know, it's not my place to decide whether arabbit will be a good addition to your home. What I can offeryou is information on rabbit care and basic knowledge and hopefullypoint you in the right direction for answers to questions I may nothave the answers for. You do what you feel is best for youand your family.

~Sunshine

If I would have gotten my first bunny when I wassix, maybe my life would have changed waaay back then, and not now whenI'm ... er... an awful lot older.:lipsrsealed (And I'd be getting a lot more workdone now!) :disgust:

I can see the Mom wanting strong input from a rabbit owner seeing asshe doesn't know rabbits, but she knows her daughter. And sheknows what her own limitations are.

If she wants to take responsibility for the rabbit, what a great gift that would be for her daughter. :)

But the daughter has to be trusted with some basic rules -- the mainone being 'NEVER EVER PICK UP THE BUNNY', followed by NEVER FEED THEBUNNY ANYTHING WITHOUT PERMISSION. Make surethere's a (large) cage that the bunny can come and go from withoutbeing picked up.

I hope she goes for it. There are a lot of little bunnies out there really needing a home.

sas :)and the 'rescue' gang... pipp :bunnyheart,dill :bunnydance:, darry and radar :toastingbunsandsherrywhoisstillaFOSTERbun :bunny24

Another consideration with shelter or otherolder buns is that, while their personalities have settled and theyhave already passed the "terrible tweens", often there is a lot ofremedial handling work that needs to be done, and that can really putoff a new owner. Often rabbits are surrendered because no one has timeto spend with them. That also translates "hasn't been handled much",meaning that toenail clipping, teeth checking, feet cleaning all is anightmare of flying kicking scratching biting rabbit. Not that ashelter bun is to be avoided, but rather they should choose carefully.

Personally, I prefer to raise mine from birth, usually borrowing apurebred parent with traits I like to breed with one of my purebreds,then distributing the kits to good homes or breeders after I've chosenmine. Then I can be sure it's always been handled like I want it to,and with no fear and trauma. But then again, there's that awful tweenystage! And babies (even 6-8 wk olds, since most peopledon'thave the option toraise them from birth) are so fragile.

I'll echo what everyone else said: it really has to be the parent'scommitment and it's really unfair to make you decide. Advice, maybe.Oh, and I think the big bunny idea is a pretty good one too.....

Rose

Rose brings upgood points.But withrescue bunniesin most cases you can'foster' them for three months and that should beenoughtimefor the novelty towear off and then she canseewhether it's a good idea.:) (Mostdecent rescue orgs won't saddle a first-timer with a realstinker). There's no strings attached to thefoster,she can still go find a baby (the shelter here has atleast 20 babies at the moment,btw)or try anotherfoster. You're allow to look forthe perfectbunny.

And for the record, allfive of my rescues can easily behandled, althoughI haven't met a rabbit yet that likes beingpicked up, even the ones whodon't mind being held.Three of mine are cuddle buns (including the biter :shock: ) and twoare a bit distant and will duck when you go to pet them -- althoughwhenyou get down on the floor with them, they're all overyou.

She mayalso want to do a lot of research intobreedsand lines re: temperament, size, care,etc,pick one that suits her family, and approach somebreeders.

Just discourage her from going to a pet store. :ponder:

sas :),pipp :bunnyheart, dill :bunnydance:, darry and radar:toastingbunsand sherrythe FOSTERbun :bunny24

Latest posts

Back