My Mom is in Hospital

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may know that my mom came to Canada from the UK last week, to visit for three weeks. Well, we had 3 great days, then, early hours Sunday morning, she fell down the stairs in our house - all 14 from top to bottom.

We spent over 12 hours yesterday in ER, and she has broken her leg. She is 84 years old, so I guess we're 'lucky' it's nothing more serious. She eventually got admitted into hospital at 1.30 this morning. She has been operated on this afternoon, and we are going in shortly to find out how things went. (Already visited once, but she was still in surgery so they told us to go back after 7pm)

So, I've cancelled our weekend in Banff, cancelled her return flights (no idea when she will be allowed to travel), phoned around the Insurance people and phoned all the family back in the UK. We are going to move her bed downstairs into the dining room, and we will have to get a wheelchair, walker etc for when she comes home (hopefully in around 4 days). So much for all the day trips we had planned.

I don't know - since our move here, John and I have had nothing but bad luck. I keep waiting for things to get better ....

Jan

Im sorry about your mom.:( I hope she gets better soon and I hope your luck does too.:)

UGH...

Ok...lighting a candle for you and yours... negative energy... BE GONE..

I will be thinking of you all..you will be in my prayers..

I just can't get over your run of luck..and your poor mum..

I was reading this aloud to my teenage son.. and my young son said to tell you he will draw her a picture to make her feel better.

Look forward to some strange beast with weird teeth..but he means well!

Thinking of you..

Z

Oh my goodness! That's a terrible thing to happen to your mom. :(I hope she heals well and everything goes good.

Your family will be in the thoughts and prayers. :pray:

Oh no Jan, I'm so sorry! You have had such a rough time recently, it's so unfair :(

I hope your mum is ok and recovers ASAP...

i'm thinking of you and hoping things get better for you guys! :hug:

Jen xx

Gosh Jan..that's just terrible....your poor mum and poor you for having such a bad time recently.

you are in my thoughts and i hope things will get better for you Jan

:hug:

~Cheryl

How is your mom today? Any idea when she will come home? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your run of bad luck ends.... NOW!

:pray:for you rmom.... :pray::pray::pray:for you.....

Jan I am so sorry to hear your mom fell and broke a leg. I hope she is getting excellent care and will recover quickly. I know you don't need the stress. Will send prayers and goos thought for a much improved summer.

Ann

Oh no Jan, that is just horrible. Your poor mum!:(

I'm so sorry things have been so tough for you lately Jan. You are such a lovely person and don't deserve all this bad luck.:(I really hope things take a turn for the better soon.:hug:

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I told my mom and she is so touched by your thoughtfulness.

Well, she had her operation yesterday afternoon. She has a plate and pins in her knee, which will most probably be permanent, and her wound is stapled together (lost count of how many staples). She is wearing a kind of vinyl splint from her ankle to about 6 inches above her knee.

John and I went to visit last night, and I've been there today. She is in a lot of pain, and they were giving her morphine injections, but today they changed her to tablets. She also saw the physiotherapist today, to see how she manages to get out of bed etc. She is OK in herself, just very angry at herself :?.

At first, I thought she would be staying here for at least 6 weeks to heal, but the Insurance company phoned today and said their medics had spoken to her Doctor here, and they think it will be best to get her back home asap. They are talking about sending a nurse from the UK to come over and fly back with her, and putting her in a flat bed on the plane. They are letting me know on Thursday what the plans are.

So, it looks like her 3 week visit may end up being a 3 day visit with me, and the rest in hospital, then back home :(. Just goes to show you shouldn't plan ahead too much - I had all sorts of things arranged, so she could see the area where we live etc. and spend some time doing the things we used to do. At 84, I don't know if she will make the long journey again :(.

Thanks for all your support - boy, do I feel down at the moment!!!

Jan

Oh gosh Jan so sorry to here about your Mom. I really hope she heals up nice and fast and will be able to come back and visit you again.

I'll say a prayer:pray: for a speedy recovery for her.

Susan:hug1

Don't feel so down. The main thing is to have your mother resting, and herhealing. Like you said, you can't plan on too much right now, until your mother feels better. I don't think it's a good idea to flyher so soon.

You know if you need anything, I am here. :hug2:

Jan, how's your mom doing this weekend? Is she still in Canada?

I hope everythings ok.

Sending lots of prayers..

Haley

Oh Jan, I'm so sorry that this happened! :( Fourteen steps is quite a tumble...it definitely could have been much worse.

I hope your mum isn't in as much pain now, and that she is on the road to recovery. I can't imagine how upsetting it all must have been. Has she made it back home yet? And how are you doing?

Latest posts

Back