My life with Skip (or the other way around?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cecil

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'll introduce myself here as some people may not have seen my introduction thread :) I'm Kaitlin, from central Illinois. I recently adopted a (supposedly) 2 year old dutch buck from a local who was giving him away.

I'm a 16 y.o. animal enthusiast with a passion for critters. Fury, scales and tails, even those with shells and exoskeletons, I love them all! I've had many types of small animals over the years and have a lot of animal knowledge stored up in my brain.

I don't know much about Skip's History, but here's what I do know:

He's a handsome dutch boy, unaltered (but soon to be neutered). Very loving and sweet, though sometimes a little too much! He weighs about 2.05kg/4.5lbs and is supposedly 2 years old. I'm unsure of his previous living conditions (except I know he was kept on shaved pine; they gave me what they had left of it. I do not use it though, I use recycled newspaper pellets. He was also fed timothy hay and Wild Harvest seed/pellet mix from Wal-mart) but currently he lives in a 6ftx2ftx2ft cage (made out of two ferret nation units set side-by-side), with lots of toys, fresh hay, and Oxbow Essentials BB/T rabbit pellets, and of course water. I'm easing him onto fresh greens and veggies at the moment, though I did ask the previous owners and they said they had fed him veggies. Best to be cautious though! He is mostly potty trained but being in a new place seems to have thrown him for a loop. A few stray poos here and there but nothing too bad :)

I picked up Skip on Sunday, February 10th, 2013. He was pretty quite the whole ride home. As soon as I got him home I had to clip his nails; I would have waited but they kept getting stuck in the blankets and carpet and I'm sure that wasn't comfortable to feel. They were so long too :( Fortunately not long enough that they were curling too bad.
It's been two days now and he's settled in fast. The last two days I've actually been sick with a bad cold so I stayed home from school; of course I spent that time watching Skip and admiring his bashfulness. He's quite the character! He follows me around but doesn't leave the room, even if the door's open. Today I even discovered he likes to be the center of attention, because he keeps jumping into my lap while I'm on the computer! Then he'll give me some love nips and jump back down (after denying him the right to hump my arm, that is).

I only have one concern so far -- I believe Skip may be younger than I was told. He has a lot of sex drive and energy; I wouldn't think a 2 year old bunny (no matter what breed) would be trying to hump you every second he is out the cage. He literally does not stop until he gets tired and lays down for a few minutes; only to get right back up and try again. When I take him to get neutered I'll ask the vet what he thinks; though I know you can't really determine the age just by looking at them. He's at least old enough to show his testes, however.

Anyways, here's a video I made of my interactions with Skip :) He's so much fun! Now as he's sleeping, I keep watching this video and it just gives me a fuzzy feeling inside lol!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8DfufyZq0k[/ame]

Thanks for reading/watching :]

Last edited:
Welcome! He's so handsome! I look forward to reading about him as time goes by! It's great that he has found a living and caring home! :]

He's darling! I am in love with Dutchies after seeing your little fella :D You can tell he loves you, that's for sure!

I love how he doesn't even give the time of day to your doggie. Ha! I am trying to introduce my buns to my Mom's cat. He' super chill, I just hope the buns (I have 2) don't gang up on him!

Looking forward to more pictures and stories :)

He's totally in love with you! All the circling your feet and following you around means he totally thinks you're his girlfriend! The following is adorable and we all love when we get followed by our buns, but he loves you a little too much! haha. Once you get him neutered he'll stop some of those bad behaviors. You should look into that soon though because he might not stop them if they become too learned.

Okay enough lecturing! He is so cute! I also have a little dutch, but she is A LOT smaller than your boy! She only weighs like 2 lbs and is about half the size of Skip.

I can't wait to hear more updates on Skip. He is adorable!

Bleh! I can't see the video?? It won't play........? Probably user error...

Anyway, congrats on your new addition. Bunnies are funny lil guys and mine make me laugh everyday :)

As far as your guy humping, oh ya, a 2 year old unaltered male will do that. Some males settle down but not all so he may be one to not ever stop that. Hopefully the neuter will help. Sometimes those behaviors become ingrained as a habit so like Morgan said get him fixed ASAP :)

Sounds like he is settling in nicely. This is a great forum to talk bunny :) looking forward to hearing more from you and Skip!

Aw another black and white dutchie, I just love them. He definitely has settled in with you and he´s so affectionate. Yeah, love how he just ignores the dog and glad he´s found a wonderful home. I´m sure his behaviour will settle down once he´s neutered. Look forward to more of Skip´s adventures.

Thanks everyone! Sorry Lisa, I'm not sure why you can't see the video :(
I may be able to get him neutered this weekend if the vet has any openings. He seems to be settled in enough that he's comfortable :)
Man is he an attention hog! This morning I went in to give him his pellets, and had to close the cage again since I was going to rest for a bit (been pretty sick the last few days). When I closed the cage he started thumping his feet haha! I'm pretty sure he wasn't scared or anything, just annoyed he wasn't getting let out just yet. I could just sort of tell. Then I went to lay down (my bed is right next to his cage) and he started tugging at the blankets in his cage and making a mess of them haha! He's such a grumpy fella. He's finally calmed down and this was a few hours ago that he did that, but I just giggle thinking about it.
One other thing I think is hilarious, is when he jumps, he thumps his feet right when he's jumping, like he's giving himself an extra boost. He's been doing that all morning too, jumping off and on his shelf :) I guess now that I'm awake and feeling a bit better I should let him out for a bit lol.

I think you're right! Whenever I walk in the door he starts mooing/oinking/whatever you want to call it and runs up and down the length of the cage until I let him out. I'm glad he loves me :) I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard for my new bunny to get use to me, and I guess I got the best of luck!

Haha he sure seems smitten with you :)

It's not your fault about the video, no need to aplogize :) it's my iPad....there have been other videos on RO that I can't see either.

So we've got an appointment date to get him neutered! March the 8th I'll take him in, he'll be kept overnight and I'll pick him up Saturday morning :) Just don't tell Skip!

I like to visit the pet store a lot and every time I go in they have this black mini-rex baby boy that I've been keeping my eye on. He's so handsome and soft! And such a nice personality. He was the only one that didn't run away from my hand; he actually came up and sniffed me! And let me pet him too. Since Skip is still unaltered I've been hesitant to adopt another rabbit, but I'm considering splitting the cage in half, giving me two sections of 6 sq.ft., plus the shelves if I use them, which would be another 3 square feet. I'll ask in another part of the forum though to get some answers about this, but I'll let you all know if anything gets decided! We may be able to add another bun to the family :D They're addicting and so much fun!

Back