My life with a bunny (and other animals)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorguarder08

Reaction score
So I've pretty much always thought bunnies were cute and always wanted one but never could get one until I moved out of my dads house at the end of January of this year because long story short I was only living there to keep my dogs and one day after 6 YEARSfor no apparent reason he decided that he didn't want me to have a dog so it was either I take them to the pound or he would go to the interstate and let them loose which he would do and has done in the past with other dogs and my best friends parents said I couldn't have them here because there are already too many dogs, So I took them to the pound and it nearly killed me. So then one day January 26th to be exact Tayler and I donated plasma and really didn't feel like heading home right away and since I love pet stores but hadn't been in this particular one in quite a while we decided to visit it after visiting her bf's house. This one is not a big box store any anything like that however the employees there irritate me more than one at a big box store as these ones are rude. So we walk in and and decide to look and see what animals they have there because they almost always have rabbits and hamsters and rats well then we looked and saw one bunny for sale for $5 and in the cage next to it was a momma bunny who had a "surprise litter" the day before. So we walked around the store and she was like Robyn (thats me) I kinda want the bunny so I told her as long as I can't get blamed for it go ahead so we thought about it she already had a cage so we decided to spend a good 30 minutes thinking it over maybe more and she ended up getting it and since we had to stop at petco to get some of the supplies for it when we got back to the car still debateing names when we got in the car I stuck my finger through one of the holes in the box and said "hey there sweet heart" and so Tayler then looked at me and was like OMG thats the perfect name.Then she decided to try and sneak it in the house since her parents were gone to see how long it would take them to notice well her mom found out that night and had no problem with it all she said was "Oh it's cute" then her mom told her dad and he was fine with it too. About a week later her mom looked at me and said so when are you getting yours and I was like well I wasn't planning to because I didn't know if it would be ok. So I have been going back weekly with my 3year old neice to look at the baby bunnies as I had planned to get a baby when it was ready I found my cage on craigslist for $15 it was previously used to hold 4 ferrets so I made sure to disinfect it. And I have been thinking about what all a rabbit needs so I would be able to get it before getting the rabbit. Well then on my way home from work wednesday I had went to petco to pick up some new food and water dishes for my two cockatiels because I simply hated the ones they had. Well they ended up getting a new perch as well. While I was there I decided to check out the litter boxes and I found one that you put together then just roll it over to clean it so instead of paying an extra $20 for one that was almost exactly like it but is automatic I got that and decided to get my favorite kitty litter to go with it (fresh step clumping) all in all I spent about $70 there that day. So the next day Taylers xbox360 live membership came in and we decided to get it but first go to some place and have lunch then we got to talking about the baby bunnies and we decided that since the bunny store (as my neice and I named it) was only a few minutes away to go see the babies.We looked at them and she was surprised how big they had gotten then we saw the other bunnies two albino females and the brown and white femaleone along with some males. Well while we were there they had put up a sign saying that females were $10 while the males were $30 which to me makes no sence in why they would do that. And I told Tayler that I kinda wanted the brown and white one and she was like well you should get it and I had told her my concern about being able to get all it's supplies to go with it that day or not. So we again thought about I already had the cage and a water bottle, Tayler told me that if I needed to I could borrow some of her food and hay until I get paid (this coming friday). I decided to get it and was able to get everything but the hay. I thought I had got enough bedding until I got home and started setting up the cage(at the store I told Tayler the bunnies name was freckles) and realized the bedding container I got was too small. Luckily Tayler had bought her BF's sister a hamster like 2 seconds after I bought freckles and got some of the same bedding I did and got his sister even more bedding so Tayler gave the unused of the first package to me and sent the rest over to her BF's house. Well I decided to try and minimize the rabbits trauma and just let the bunny adjust to its cage the first day well her mom wanted to hold it while I set up the cage so I said ok so I set up the cage and went to put Freckles in and started kicking and cut my finger which I immediantly cleaned out. So I went to work the next day came home and refilled her waterbottle then went back to work to cover part of someone elses shift. Came back home 3 hours later and her water bottle was a quarter empty which I wasn't sure if it was because it was just too small of a water bottle or because she didn't have water for 6 hours. ButI took freckles out of the cage and brought her into the livingroom to play for a while then had problems getting her back lol. Then Tayler brought out Sweet Heart and they seemed to do ok only some minor dominance humping. No fights though. So then after an hour or so I took Freckles and put her back in the cage with little problems. And of course refilled the water bottle. Then I went to bed when I woke up the water bottle was about a quarter empty which told me that the water bottle is just too small so tuesday I will get a new one. I took her out for a few held her but when I went to put her on the floor she started kicking so my arms are all scratched up now but thats ok I will live. I filled up her water bottle and after about an hour I got her to go back into the cage on her own and left for work. I came home at around 1:45 this morning to find her water bottle was again empty. So I filled it up then filled it up again when I woke up. I noticed she LOVES her igloo I got her. And I'm not sure if this is normal or not but she will just lay down on her side in her cage for a few hours at a time then get hyped up then lay down again. I also figure since she likes to go potty in one certain corner of her cage she would be realitivley (sp?) easy to litter box train.

So Today I refilled Freckles water bottle about 3 times. Once before work once after and then again when we got to my grandmothers house to see my niece. Well we just happened to get there when my grandmother was getting home from picking her up. Well then we set up a little area for Freckles to play it was lined with bird cage liners(which kept the pee OFF the floor extremely well and she has hardwood floors.) well being the smart little girl she is she figured out how to escape the little enclosure. But I didn't notice til my niece asked if she can pet the bunny and then told me the bunny got out so I found her under my grandmothers china hutch and after she escaped a few more times we decided it was best just to put her back in the carrier and take her home (there is just too many things for Freckles to get into over there). But before doing that I took her around for a final petting then my grandmother wanted to hold her but knowing how my grandmother is if Freckles was to kick she would throw Freckles so I just made sure to explain that Freckles doesn't like to be moved once I have her, which wasn't entirely a lie as once I have her in my arms she's good until I go to but her back in the cage or on the floor then she freaks. Everyone petted her then her when she got home she was SO excited to be back in her cage she started jumping around and then went back to laying on her side like she did most of yesterday.

So I think Freckles and I are bonding. Nothing huge yet but it is getting easier to pick her up. Not to mention that today when I cleaned her cage and was putting it back together with her in it I had my knee under the cage door so the door wasn't compleatly open and she stopped eating hay went exploring her newly decorated cage. Whenever the cage gets cleaned it gets set up differently. Then she came over to her cage door jumped out just a little then so I decided to pet her head and she let me then stayed there for a little bit then she went back to eating.Of course I had to throw it in Taylers face that CAREFRESH bedding DOES come in green since the cage is green I try to get everything to match just as because Tay's cage is purple she tries to get everying to match it as well. So today of course I had to clean the cage and put in the matching green bedding. I also bought her a massive waterbottle. Ok maybe not massive but it is 32ounces which is like 4 times bigger than her old 8 ounce watter bottle. So yeah she didn't have too exciting of a day today but she did play outside her cage and Sweet Heart came up and said hello for a little bit.

Well clearly Freckles decided she did not like the way her cage was set up. Not that she let me know right away of course nope she waited til I was in bed and watching Netflix. Then she decided to kick her somebedding out of her "house" (the igloo). Actually it was more of kicking it out then back in. I guess she was trying to get it just right. It was cute to watch though. Shes been jumping around a lot for the last few days she's also been spending time on top of her house. I want to get ther a timothy hay mat to fit inside her igloo to kinda use as a bed maybe just thinking she would like it. She should be good on hay for a while though cause the hay wouldnt come out of the bag then when it did it was kinda stuck together so I just put it down next to her food bowl and now she has a "mountian" of hay next to house which she seems to enjoy. The 32oz water bottle was definatley a good idea as she has since this morning drank about 8oz. So thats pretty much my biggest update for today I may update more later if anything cool happens.

Ok so a lot has happen like my computer not workin so I'm limited to my wii. Oh and I think this guy I like might like me back. And I'm concerned Freckles might be pregnant

How are things there? Why do you think Freckles might be pregnant? Nice if the guy likes you as well. ;)I hope you get your computer fixed soon.

I didn't even realize you could surf the net with the wii... LOL

Yay somebody responded to my blog. Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Well I thought Freckles was because her stomach was kinda hard but not a solid kind of hard. I don't think she is now though because her stomach is back to normal. She has however within the past couple days started chewing on her igloo which is just absoultely annoying to hear when you are trying to sleep and are sick but I do my best to ignore her which doesn't always work. However I do love the sound of her chewing on her wooden chews I find the sound kinda cute. Well today I bought her one of those kabob toys and put two of her favorite chews on there with some apple orchard sticks and the two chews that came with it, so there was no room on it for the loofah chews made from gords dyed with vegetable juice. I also bought her a woven timothy mat which I had put underneath the igloo thinking Freckles would like it, and she did. She pulled it out from underneath the igloo before I even realized it wasn't where I put it and she was chewing on it.she also moved her food dish into the igloo (upside down of course, I had just fed her too), but I say oh well she can decorate the cage how she wants til Tomorrow when she is fed again and it gets moved back to where I put it. So anyways she decided to leave the mat alone for a little while so I unfolded it put the one wooden chew I couldn't fit on the kabob on the mat along with several peices of her puzzled shaped loofahs on the mat as well.
which she surpriseingly started chewing on right away. The last loofah chews where thicker but more fluffy and she wouldnt touch them, so maybe she just likes the tighter packed ones. She also immediantly went for the apple stick once it was in there as well. Since I got her I found out she loves apples. Like LOVES apples I'm pretty sure if she had to she would go into attack mode for an apple. Not a theory I would like to test though. She likes oranges, bananas and brocoli but she loves her apples. She also went through a thumping period for a couple of days. where she would thump at me and wouldn't let me pick her up for apparentley no reason. So I just let her chill out in her cage for a couple days and she went back to normal.

Hehehe too cute.

She sounds very spoiled and seems to have made a right bunny slave out of you ;)Have you tried a digging box with her yet? Sounds like she loves to play. Yeah, they can be quite noisy when they want though. Lol. Maybe you can rub a lemon slice on the igloo so she doesn't like chewing it as much. It might help for the noise as well as prevent her from ingesting too much hard plastic which I would be a bit concerned about. My bunnies all preferred apples over carrots :biggrin:Apples are usually the first sweet treat I try them on. Lol. They sure love them. I haven't given broccoli yet myself as I am still getting them used to their veggies. My girl does well on them but my lil one, Rolo, is sensitive so I am going gradually.

It's good to hear from you ;)

Actually after I got her the timothy grass mat she stopped chewing on the igloo and focused on that now if she chews on plastic it's once or twice then she finds something better to chew on. However within a week she no longer had a grass mat. SO today was payday and Freckles was out of hay AND bedding so of course that equaled a trip to cenex. Where I proceeded to spend a total of $72 dollars on her and the birds. So what I got her was a giant corner litter box ( I know most aren't big enoug for bunnies but this one is big enough to fit 2 Freckles), a hay holder, treats, a corn mat, some corn cob litter for her litter pan, bedding, hay, more food. then the birds got some more toysand treats. the other day though I got Freckles a giant tube for her to chew on and play with and she loves it. So yeah she has lots of stuff to play with now and her cage looks amazing now with her giant light green litter box to match her dark green cage. the dark brown bedding contrast nicely with the light brown litter and I know it shouldnt matter but I like having the cage look good.

Oh my goodnees yes I have lots of pictures. here I will post them all. although I'm beginning to think shes a giant breed and NOT the english spot I was told.

14416_280235_440000000.jpg

14416_281515_010000000.jpg

14416_281515_550000000.jpg

the one below was taken the day I got her.

14416_281517_000000000.jpg

14416_072322_510000003.jpg

shes being the easter bunny in the next few pics
14416_242024_030000000.jpg

14416_221418_090000000.jpg

14416_221424_310000000.jpg

14416_221425_360000000.jpg

14416_221432_530000000.jpg

14416_221431_300000000.jpg

14416_242022_070000000.jpg

14416_242025_000000000.jpg

Quite a bit has happened since my last entry including me turning 21, and freckles getting her new hutch that was custom built and she has been put outside in it. She did not like it at all she actually is very scared inside it. But lets face it her cage is just getting to be too small and I don't have a nic cage available either so the hutch is what she is getting. It's nice in that theres really only about a month or so (if that) that I need to worry about the possibility of her over heating. Currently I am planning a trip to visit family in oregon and then to go see a concert the month after that.

Thanks I had an amazing birthday this year. Freckles seems to enjoy her hutch very much. She will try to push her nose as far through the chicken wire my cousin used to build her hutch as she possiblibly can until you pet her. She has started to let me hand feed her some treats and accidently got my hand while getting the treat so I can't blame her as she wasn't really trying to attack me as she has in the past.she lets me pick her up without too much problems.

Thank you. So again much more in my life has happened. My neice turned 4 which I am not ok with, not because I feel old cause heaven knows I'm not but I don't want her to grow up. I have gotten a new kitty. She is a 10 year old bengal which was on cl for free. I decided since the cat I was originally going to adopt but couldn't because it was difficult getting a hold of me when I was working and they are only open saturday and sunday 11-4. They knew I was working to so apparently they would rather adopt to someone who is unemployed like my best friend Tayler who WAS allowed to adopt from them because she was easy to get ahold of. So instead I got this cat and love her of course one thing I don't love so much is her headbutting you til you wake up and pet her and if she's not headbutting you she will put her head under your nose and against your mouth so you basically have to wake up. Other wise she is the sweetest cat in the world and sooo active. I am happy to have her even if she is older. Lets see with Freckles shes getting huge I am cutting back her pellets so she can eat more hay which she is needs to do because she's been eating too many pellets lately which she is going to be changing brands to Zupreem soon.

Latest posts

Back