My husband bought me this by "mistake"...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandhills_rabbits

Reaction score
Just had to say sorry i havent posted in a coupledays.... I was hit hard by a case of the stomach flu, but now i'm backand able to post more....

anyways, my husband and I went to drop off some movies yesterday night,and since Blockbuster just happens to be next to a Petstore, we justhad to go in.... he said we didnt need to, but I said "what if therabbit of my dreams is there?". So we stopped in. Anyways, I wentstraight to look at the bunnies, and there was a HUGE female bun, andshe was sooooooooooo cute. My husband asked about her, and the petstoreowner informed us that she is a "mistake" and wasnt meant to happen.She is a flemish giant that is crossed with a holland. I guess thebreeder that supplies all the rabbits had an "accident" with two of hisbuns breeding that were'nt suppossed to, and she was the product oftheir clandestine, romantic bunny-union. My husband bought her for me,and I brought her home. My daughter's eyes nearly popped out of herhead when she saw how big the rabbit is, and couldnt believe it when wetold her she's only 3 months old. My mother-in-law's first (and onlycomment because she was struck speechless) was "it's as big as thedogs!!!" :)

Well, here's pictures of the new little.....ahem.....BIG cutie! I think i've named her Amaretto.

What is that thing you've got right in my face???
81940309.jpg

Does this picture make my butt look small?
81940308.jpg

Stretching out to show off how pretty i am....
81940306.jpg

More big pretty bunnies!!! How cute. How is she adjusting to her new home??

Cristy

She is stunning! I love her!Interesting to know what her background actually is. I wouldhave taken her for a "Charlie" (lightly marked) English Spot. -- She'sgot the perfect Spot body type LOL

Pam

*squeals* Aww! She's solovely! I WANT ONE!!! You're so lucky! Alovely man who buys you bunnies and lovely bunnies to match!

Ang xx

So, theoretically,that is what some of Ben & Fergi's babies could be built like,huh? She looks so sweet? Does she even seem to understand how big sheis? LOL! From what I'm slowly learning about the breeds, itseems like a Flemmy/Lop mix could be pure personalityheaven!

Raspberry

Wow! MORE BiG BUNNiES TO GO AROUND! * happy dance* aww i just want to pet her! gimme gimme gimmee!! :p

She is a sweetie.... she's nipped me once,because she wanted down to explore and I was being a bad mommy and washolding her. She seemed very timid at the petstore, and the pet storeowner said that i could hold her if i could catch her. He didnt thinki'd be able to, but i managed it, and she held very still for me in thestore and all the way home.

pamnock wrote:
She is stunning! I love her! Interesting to know what herbackground actually is. I would have taken her for a "Charlie" (lightlymarked) English Spot. -- She's got the perfect Spot body type LOL

Pam

I did'nt know what exactly a "Charlie" looked like, but I just did asearch on the internet to get an idea about them. She does havesomewhat similar markings to an English Spot, but her's are'nt asuniform i dont think. She's also only got a few spots on her.... asprinkling of them on her back, and around her eyes, and one on hernose. Her body has a nice arch to it, but she is so "big bodied"compared to the pictures of the English Spots I found. She is definatlya big, big girl..... I'll have to weigh her the next time I get achance. It would be very interesting to see how much she weighs.

Out of curiousity, how big do English Spots get? I was told that thisgirl should end up being about 15 lbs.... her mother was about 20 lbs,but with the holland blood in her the breeder doesnt think she'll getas big as the mother.
Are English Spots are large size breed? I couldnt get a very accurateidea from the pictures because photos can be so decieving....

RaspberrySwirl wrote:
So, theoretically, that is whatsome of Ben & Fergi's babies could be built like, huh? She looks sosweet? Does she even seem to understand how big she is? LOL! From whatI'm slowly learning about the breeds, it seems like a Flemmy/Lop mixcould be pure personality heaven!

Raspberry

Lol.... I honestly dont think she realizes her size. She keeps tryingto squeeze into some very teeny tiny places, so eventually all you seeof her is a nose or big bunny butt sticking out. I think she feels thatshe is petite and dimunitive, but she just isnt. She's a big girl, butshe's so graceful to watch. As for personality, so far it's kind ofhard to tell. She's still getting accustomed to us, and getting used tothe new surroundings. She slept in my bedroom last night because shewas'nt planned on, and we honestly dont have a cage roomy enough forher yet. I'm going to put one together tomorrow, so tonight she'llsleep with me again :)

English Spots are a medium breed (on the smallend of medium) weighing 5-8 pounds. I think the Ben/Fergibabies had a more Flemish look to them, where "Amaretto", the subjectof this thread, is finer in bone and longer/slimmer in type.She doesn't exhibit the "massive" appearance and bone of the Flemishand lacks the Flemish ears. In some aspects, she appears totaken a lot of her physical appearance from the lop -- such as thecolor. And the influence of the lop seems to have refinedmany of the features of her type.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
English Spots are a medium breed (on the small end of medium)weighing 5-8 pounds. I think the Ben/Fergi babies had a more Flemishlook to them, where "Amaretto", the subject of this thread, is finer inbone and longer/slimmer in type. She doesn't exhibit the "massive"appearance and bone of the Flemish and lacks the Flemish ears. In someaspects, she appears to taken a lot of her physical appearance from thelop -- such as the color. And the influence of the lop seems to haverefined many of the features of her type.

Pam

I agree... Even though she's one large rabbit, she looks ratherfine-boned compared to a Flemish, and she's so stream-lined andgracefully arched. As for her color, she's white, but her spots are notblack, they are actually a dark agouti color.... that aspect to hercoloring really does remind me of the hollands.

I also did a search on Checkered Giants, and learned that they arebelieved to have come about by the breeding of a Flemish Giant and sometype of a Hare (not sure exactly which one). I found that checkeredgiants are a larger sized breed also, ranging from 10 to 18 lbs? Do youthink that Amaretto resembles a Checkered Giant at all? I am thinkingof contacting the breeder to double check all the information onAmaretto with him, to see that the pet store owner didnt make amistake....

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
I agree... Even though she's one large rabbit, she looks ratherfine-boned compared to a Flemish, and she's so stream-lined andgracefully arched. As for her color, she's white, but her spots are notblack, they are actually a dark agouti color.... that aspect to hercoloring really does remind me of the hollands.

I also did a search on Checkered Giants, and learned that they arebelieved to have come about by the breeding of a Flemish Giant and sometype of a Hare (not sure exactly which one). I found that checkeredgiants are a larger sized breed also, ranging from 10 to 18 lbs? Do youthink that Amaretto resembles a Checkered Giant at all? I am thinkingof contacting the breeder to double check all the information onAmaretto with him, to see that the pet store owner didnt make amistake....
Her markings don't reallyindicate that she came from aCheckered background. Although the spotted markingson the breeds come from the same loci genetically, they have differentcumulitive modifiers that are unique to different breeds -- I think theLop x Flemish background may be accurate as she's got the size andlength of a giant breed. Here's my Checkered . . .

Wow, Pam!!! Those ears on your Checkered are justmassive! What a cutie :) Now that i've seen your pictures, I agreethat Checkered doesnt look to be part of Amaretto's bloodline.

Gee.... I just cant get over the size of those ears! Those are amazing.... almost like Dumbo's ears, but on a rabbit! :)

I would have said to him, "Well, excuse me. Nobunny is ever a mistake!". Take Chippy for example. She's perfect!Never is a bunny a mistake. They are all made for a reason, andAmaretto was made special for you!

Latest posts

Back