my house bunny died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummybunny

Reaction score
:(My house bunny, Fudge, died in myarms on Wednesday morning. He had been battling a chronic retro orbitaleye abcess and had been in hospital for a week. He came home on Tuesdayafternoon and died on Wednesday morning. My husband and I keep crying.I tried to go back to work on Friday morning but after 10 minutes wasin tears again and had to go home. We thought he was just worn out fromall the treatment as he was very withdrawn in the later part of Tuesdayand was very floppy when we tried to give him his medicine on Wednesdaymorning. He wasn't swallowing his medicineand I put him onthe floor to see if he could sit. He just lay on his side on the floor,I picked him up and he fitted. I tried to blow air into his nose and hetook a couple of gasping breaths and fitted again and then he died. Wewere hysterical, and our other bunny Miffy saw it all. Later, the vetcalled and he believed that the virulent bacteria had made its way tohis brain. We hope and pray that he did not realise fully what washappening. We thought he was just a bit 'out of it' from the medicinebut I think he may have had brain damage or was slowly shutting down.He was the most amazing wee man and we cannot believe he has gone. Weare trying to give Miffy lots of TLC and will eventually get heranother companion as we do not want her to be alone, but she and Fudgewere totally bonded. I hope I will feel better soon. Has anyone hadexperience of introducing another bunny to their bunny after itsoriginal bonded companion has died? Thank you.

deepest_sympathy_md_clr.gif

Most of us know how hard it is to lose our house buns. We grow soattached here that we are more than willing to adopt the buns of OTHERmembers.

I know there are many, including Buck, who are experienced with bondingrabbit mates. I know you will receive good information to keep yourbuns happy.

Minda

Dearest mummybunny,

I'm so sorry. The answer to your question, I do not have; but others will respond.

I have also experienced a rabbit in my arms and then the thrashing, andwhen it was over and the vet rushed in, I asked "What's going on withhim??" He announced to me that my baby had died. Two minutes beforethat, he was in my arms snuggling. I thought my love would give himstrength to live, but not. I was devastated at the shock of his suddenthrashing and death. The vet told me that it's common that they dothat.

Oh Dear Heart, I wish I could help you so much right now. The onlything I can tell you is that I know the pain and the void you feel.Truly. I've cried harder for pets that I've lost than some people thatI've lost.

I'm so very, very sorry.

Hang tight. Someone on this board will help you with your question.

With Sympathy,
-Carolyn

Oh I am so sorry for your loss.

I really have never had bonded bunnies either, but I couldnt not postmy sympathies. Just remember all the joys he brought into your life andit might give you some solace.

Melissa, Guinevere and Gir

mummybunny wrote:
...Has anyone had experience of introducinganother bunny to their bunny after its original bonded companion hasdied? Thank you.
First, please accept mycondolences upon the loss of your darling, Fudge. He and youput up the good fight, and it was just his time to take hisleave. If you are not familiar with the concept of theRainbow Bridge, please link to the followingsite:http://www.lisaviolet.com/ecard/rainbowjavax.htmlIt certainly won't change anything, but it did bring us someconsolation during similar circumstances.
Yes, we havebonded bunnies who have lost their original partners to other bunnies,both does and bucks alike. The process is no different thanwe used in the original circumstances,by and large.If you are not familiar with the processes please link to the followingsites:http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htmandhttp://www.rabbit.org/behavior/index.html

In one situation, we"fostered" a pair of young does from alocal animal shelter, with the understanding that if we were unable tobond them to our two widower bucks, they would be returned to theshelter. That way, we were assured we would not be "stuck"with any extra buns thatwe would have to arrange separatehousing forif the bonding were not to occur. As itturned out, both bondings were successfully accomplished and the doesboth stayed with us. In one case, the bonding wasinstantaneous, the one and only time that has ever occurred for us.

In another instance, we brought our widowed doe to a rescuecenter, where eligible bucks were introduced to her in neutralterritory, and she/we were able to determine if one buck, or another,seemed to be a likely candidate.

Relative ages don't seem to matter terribly much either. Webonded a older widowed doe, probably about 3 1/2 years old, to a youngbuck of about a year old. It was a May/September romance andthe net effect was the years seemed to drop off her countenance, as shebecame a young girl again, binkying and racing around with her newyoung man.

Some people claim all buns can be bonded, provided one takes the time,makes the effort, and uses proper techniques. Others claimthere are some buns who will simply not bond with some other particularbuns no matterwhat you try to do. I tend to believethe latter opinion, but am the first to admit giving up on the processif I don't see any success within a three week period,or so.

I point this discrepancy of opinion out to you as a caveat, for you mayend up with an unbondable pair, depending upon how you go about thewhole process and the character and personality make-ups of theindividual buns involved.

Best of luck to you, of course! Once you've experiencedbonded bunnies, it's hard not having them around to enjoy.Let us know what you decide and the outcome, if you don't mind?

Buck

Iam so sorry for your loss...extra love being sent your way

xo Much bunny kisses and hugs

Cher,Jezebel and Jade

Oh, Geez! I'm sorry, Pamela! I am sosorry. If you ever need a "bunny Fix", we're in NJ, too, andhave lots of buns that you can fondle and coo over. Pleasedon't hesitate to PM me and I can give you and your folks directions toour place down the shore. We'd love to have you, and so wouldthe buns, who, because they are six, don't get all the individualattention they would like.

If you haven't accessed the Rainbow Bridge, please do. It canmake adifference.http://www.lisaviolet.com/ecard/rainbowjavax.html

Buck

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bucks advice isreally good (as always). When I lost my rabbit (also Fudge) Iwas devastated and Had two weeks off work, but she was a single bun, sodidn't have to deal with a partner. Mope Miffy isOK - Jan

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is.

:(

~ cam

Latest posts

Back