My hamster

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hamsters name is MC hamster, but we just call him hammie.

I've been checking on him a couple times a day and he is still doing ok. Still eating, still drinking, still moving around. I finally got the courage to pick him up the other day to check him over. He didn't like it much but I was able to get a good look at his butt and it was clean and dry. His feet were also ok, didn't notice any red toes. I barely saw his teeth but they looked normal too. So I"m really stumped as to what caused the smear. So weird.

I"m also not exactly sure on hammie's age. I got him Dec 2007, but I rescued him and he was already full grown when I got him. So who knows how old he actually is.

Oh, one funny thing, does anyone elses hamster sleep on their back? Hammie sleeps on his back with his legs sticking straight up in the air. Scared the crap outta me the first time I saw him do it.

MC Hamster, LOL! I guess it was one of those things that happened, we can't figure out why, and as long as it doesn't happen again, it doesn't do much good worrying about it. For instance, even if you were to take him in to the vet, they probably wouldn't know what to do because there's no apparent cause.

He sounds like a sweet little guy. My dwarf sleeps in a ball with her face tucked in toward her belly. Sleeping on his back sounds adorable!

Well Hammie isn't doing well today :cry2 He started breathing hard yesterday when he was sleeping yesterday. I checked on him earlier today and he was still breathing hard but got up and moved around. I checked on him tonight and noticed he was sleeping in the open in the corner. I sat and watched him for a bit and he was breathing really quick and kind of laying spread out, instead of his usual ball. I touched him and he woke up but he barely opened his eyes(they are kind of half open) and didn't try to run away. I got him up and moving around but he is shaky on his feet and I can kind of hear him breathing if I listen closely.

He doesn't look good at all :cry2 Its too late to do anything for him tonight but i'm going to call the vet tomorrow. I talked with my friend who is a vet tech tonight and she said they probably isn't much I can do for him. The vet probably won't do much for him either besides check him over, give him fluids or put him to sleep.

So I guess I just have to wait it out until tomorrow :cry2 I feel sick seeing him just laying there.

There is nothing you can do tonight so maybe it's best not to look at him until the morning; I know what you mean when you say it's hard to look at them when they are sick like that :(; I'm the same way particularly if there is little I can do.|

:pray:for Hammie

I"ve been trying not to think about it but I've been going to check on him often. He's laying in the middle of the cage and looks so sad. He is kind of twitching every so often and his breathing is a lot shallower now.

If he makes it through the night I"m calling the vet first thing in the morning. At the very least they can put him to sleep. I dont' like seeing him suffer like this. :cry2

He's still alive this morning but looks horrible. He's in a ball in the corner and is making this clicking noise when he breaths(sounds congested).

I called the vet and I have an appointment in 1 1/2 hrs, probably just going to put him to sleep.

Poor Hammie :cry2

I'm sorry Degrassi. I don't know anything about Hamsters. The heat outside is so hot today. You might need an ice pack to make him comfortablefor the car ride.

You're doing the right thing ..
I respect people who have such kindness and respect for the tiny animals

Hammie is lucky that he was loved by you ...

I'm so sorry. I hope that the vet can help her out some. I know they can give oxygen to the little guys, but that will only help her live, not treat whatever's wrong. You are a very compassionate person and I hope Hammie can be free from pain soon, however that occurs. She was lucky to have a wonderful, care-free life with you.

Well I just got back from the vets. It was so sad:cry2

The vet checked him over and listened to his chest. He said he sounded congested. He said that there isn't much we could do. They could try to treat him with antibiotics but it probably won't do much.

Hammie could barely walk and fell over on the table panting. My heart was breaking seeing him like that.

I told him i'd rather just put him to sleep as I didn't want him to suffer and it didn't sound like he would get better. I was doing ok until the vet tech asked if I wanted a minute to say goodbye :cry2 I cried the whole way home. Stupid pets, why do we love them so much.

To top it all off it cost 120$! Ouch

Sorry degrassi :cry1:
You did the best that you could ..
I"m sure that he'll have a big wheel to run on at the Rainbow Bridge
Binky free little Hammie ( I bet a hamster could do a binky )
Maureen:cry1:

It sounds like you did the best thing for him. I lost my dwarf hamster at the emergency vet and I felt like such an idiot, bawling my eyes out for a creature no bigger than my palm named Ms. Piggy. They may be small, but they are important to us, and they are so grateful for all of the things we do for them to make them happy. You did the right thing for Hammie.

Run free, MC Hamster.

So sorry.

I wonder if that blood smear had anything to do with this, if they are related.

Best wishes. You are seeing the vet, and at this time of night it is too late for me to add more. You have done all you can.

Always be sure your vet knows hamsters; most know less than I do.

Always be sure your vet knows hamsters; most know less than I do.

Yeah, I know. I called my dog's vet and asked them first. They told me they dont' treat hamsters so I ended up taking Hammie to the same vet I take my rabbit to, as they treat exotics and pocket pets.

Still feeling a bit sad but I'm trying not to think about it. I had to take down his cage this afternoon which was hard :(

Latest posts

Back