My grieving bunny doesn't want to eat-- RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBunny562

Reaction score
I had 2 boy bunnies, one that I call White and one that I will call Brown for convenience, both around 6-7 years old, recently Brown has passed away. I was so heartbroken at the time that I didn't know I was supposed to let White stay with it's corpse for a while in order for him to cope. For a while White seemed ok, but lately he doesn't want to eat anymore. I suspected GI Stasis but I took him to the vet and he said he is alright. I am really scared because he also seems like he lacks energy. He does drink water pretty regularly. I know that bunnies do not really enjoy being alone, so the next day after Brown died we got another bunny and they seem to be somewhat getting along (i.e. they groom eachother and do not fight, they are both boys) but White does not seem to be getting better.

A rabbit that won't eat, isn't okay. Are you syringe feeding your rabbit so he doesn't develop GI stasis. He could have some sort of underlying health problem going on that's causing the lack of appetite and lethargy. You might need to insist that your vet does a thorough check. A blood test and xrays mght be needed to determine what's going on with him. He's a bit of an older rabbit, so there certainly can be more going on with him than just missing his friend. It could be something serious with one of his organs, or it could just be some old age arthritis that daily meloxicam could help with.

A rabbit that won't eat, isn't okay. Are you syringe feeding your rabbit so he doesn't develop GI stasis. He could have some sort of underlying health problem going on that's causing the lack of appetite and lethargy. You might need to insist that your vet does a thorough check. A blood test and xrays mght be needed to determine what's going on with him. He's a bit of an older rabbit, so there certainly can be more going on with him than just missing his friend. It could be something serious with one of his organs, or it could just be some old age arthritis that daily meloxicam could help with.
Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to syringe feed him but he keeps spitting out the food.

Not swallowing and spitting out the food is not a good sign in most cases. It can mean there is a serious medical problem. I would urge getting him to your vet right away if possible. Though the few times when I've had a rabbit that stopped swallowing syringe feeds, it meant they were close to dying. But I hope this isn't the case with your bun.

Not swallowing and spitting out the food is not a good sign in most cases. It can mean there is a serious medical problem. I would urge getting him to your vet right away if possible. Though the few times when I've had a rabbit that stopped swallowing syringe feeds, it meant they were close to dying. But I hope this isn't the case with your bun.
I took him to the vet, they gave him a perfusion but they also said that he is pretty old, especially for his breed. They told us to get back to them the next morning if he doesn't get any better. I will give updates if there are any changes, thank you very much for your asistance!

Only one of my bunnies has ever liked the syringe feeding mash, so spitting it out is pretty normal as far as I'm concerned! I usually soak some of their normal pellets in some herbal tea (chamomile is a favorite, soothes tummies too) and most bunnies will eat it off a dish.

Your bunny suffered a loss, then had a new bunny move in the next day—that's a lot of stress! He may still be grieving. Make sure you're giving him lots of alone time with you and extra petting so he doesn't feel like the new bunny is taking away from that. My bunnies all have a stuffy from a young age, so when they lose a partner, they snuggle with the stuffy a lot.

If White has been grooming the new bunny, he may also be ingesting more fur than normal, depending on shedding time and the new bunny's breed. Lots of liquids, wet greens, and belly massages can help pass fur through. If you haven't tried simethicone drops, those will help with gas. Check if his belly feels bloated or empty.

6-7 years is not all that old. Almost all of my bunnies, both dwarf and large breeds, have lived to 10 or more. I hope you can get White back to having zest for life!

I am sad to announce that my boy has passed away. With that said, thank you very much for the help. I sincerely believe that it was simply a combination of his age and the stress the loss of his partner caused that did him. At least they are now together and I have my consciense clean knowing that there was really nothing that could've been done. Again thank you very much for your help!

I am sad to announce that my boy has passed away. With that said, thank you very much for the help. I sincerely believe that it was simply a combination of his age and the stress the loss of his partner caused that did him. At least they are now together and I have my consciense clean knowing that there was really nothing that could've been done. Again thank you very much for your help!
Sorry to read he passed. RIP to White. Seems you tried everything you could like a good owner would, so don't let yourself get down. Hope your new bunny grows/stays healthy.

Latest posts

Back