My girl is a boy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarFox03

Reaction score
I adopted a "female" bunny from animal care andcontrol a little over a month ago. I just found out yesterday that Ticais a boy! :shock:So, his new name is Teek. (Tica is a girlname). He is getting neutered in about two weeks, I'm a little nervousabout it, but I know he will be ok. Also, do rabbits do better withfriends? I was thinking about adopting a new bunny, a female this time,so Teek can have a bunny buddy. I wouldnt do this until beginning ofnext year, after his surgery and I know he's all healed up, but wouldthis be a good idea? I am very new to the rabbit scene, so any infowould be great! thanks!

Melody & Teek

Worked alright for me, but I already had tworabbits. As far as healing goes, Aura was finished in a week. It's thehormones you should watch for.

about the hormones part, are you referring to theputting two buns together? both will be altered before being puttogether. my male is getting neutered in two weeks, and I wont begetting another one until after the new year. thanks for the responsethough! :D

Melody & Teek

Welcome SugarFox03,

Not all rabbits get along naturally. One of the best ideas I've learnedwas through Buck Jones who, when has visited shelters with theircurrent rabbit and be introduced to the rabbits there, one-by-one in aroom, so that they can determine which pair would work.

They don't need to have a companion. Generally speaking, if they haveyou and your attention, they'll bond with you more than they do whenthey're bonded to each other.

Do you have any idea how old your new addition is?

-Carolyn

My boy was a girl. Her "birth certificate" saidboy, and a friend who raised rabbits said boy. I didn't have a clue,and since she hated being turned upside down, I decided to save myselfthe scratchs and let him/her have it's dignity. :shock:

When I took him to be fixed, the vet called me and announced I was theproud mother of a spoiled rotten girl. I should have known. She had PMSonce a month, adored chocolate and sweets, was always looking in themirror, and loved to take my jewlery.20/20 hind sight.

SugarFox03 wrote:
I adopted a "female" bunny from animal care and control alittle over a month ago. I just found out yesterday that Tica is a boy!:shock:....
Not an unusual circumstance around here of late, if you read some of the previous posts.

Welcome to the surprised group!

Buck

Greeting to all!!

I am among the surprised as well.:shock:

In Feb '04 we rescued a mommy bunny (S'more) from our localcenterand a few weeks later we went back to the shelter andresuced one of her babies (MooShu). When we got S'more, it was veryobvious that she had been spayed due to the stitches on her tummy. Thereason we did not take MooShu home on the same day was because theshelter policy is that the babies have to be at least 12 weeks oldbefore being released and they have to be neutered or spayed. Thepaperwork that they gave us for MooShu showed that the bunny was a maleand had been neutered prior to release.

We suspected that MooShu was not a male, so we went back to the shelterto have their vet confirm this. Well...surprise!! MooShu is actually afemale.

The problem is that the vet at the shelter said there is no way oftelling if Moo Shu (now the girl) was spayed unless they put her underand open her up to see if the procedure was performed.:(

Does anybody know if there is any other way to tell if a female bunnyhas been spayed? I hate to put her through all of this just to find outthat the procedure was already done.:?

Thanks,

Jim

Ahhh, I know someone who took their girl bunny in to be spayed, they shaved "her" tummy and found out it was a little BOY! :?

Anyhow, I am fairly new also, but I have learned so much about bunniesin the past 3 mos. Bo was neutered on Oct 21. Hedid so well they called for me to get him early. The vet said"He was so good and all went so well it was absolutely boring!" :p

Boys do very well. Just be sure to keep his litterpan extraclean for a few days. I did that just incase. Icleaned it daily instead of every other day which is my normal schedule.

You did get a rabbit/exotics vet? I mentioned to Lissa thatour vet did a pre-blood exam to check for anything that might not beright for him to have the anesthesia. They also said it wouldgive them a future reference for his blood levels. well worththe extra $40 for me!

Bo had a bit of a hoarse "cough" when he came home from the tube in histhroat. You might see this or might not. Justincase.....

TEEK is 3 mos? is he ready to beneutered? Males can be that early but it's easier on them tohave their testicles down before hand.

Also, males can "hold" hormones and breed for a month or so after they are neutered.

Just went through the same thing. We got our third rabbit and were told she was a girl. Turned out she was a he!

Just got him neutured and all is well in BunnyLand.

HelloEveryone! This is JimD's daughter. We were very suprised. I was tryingto bond them becuase they were both "fixed". As soon as I put them onthe floor near eachother Brindle (female) went after Moo Shu. I pickedBrindle up and put her in the cage. I was looking over Moo Shu to makesure "he" was ok. I discovered a vagina! It was very interesting. Icompaired our female to our male and it was obvious that Moosh is afemale. Does anyone know that if there is indeed a spaying scar onfemales?

I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
Does anyone know that ifthere is indeed a spaying scar on females?

It's not evident when the hair grows back over. You can't tell at all on our little doe that had surgery last year.

Pam

Teek will be four months old when he getsneutered (or only a day or so away). But then again I dont really knowhis "real" age. I also checked his paperwork, and they said "female -angora mix" definately not female and he's no angora either. They toldme "she" was around 7-8 weeks when I got him. I'm thinking I may havegotten the wrong paper work. Then again, rabbits arent exactly highpriority in that place. I was told to call back the first week in Dec.to schedule the surgery. is there a way to tell how old a bunny is?also, what is a good age to do a neuter? or a spay as well, in case Iget a female in the future sometime. thanks everyone!

Melody & Teek

Teek isnt a big bunny either, I think he's adwarf mix. But he's destructive and territorial and he's starting togrowl and bite me when I clean the cage (or anything around it!). so Ithink it's time, lol

Melody & Teek

Sounds like he is. Just turn him overand see if he has some "extras" near his behind. That shouldtell you LOL!

Hmm..that sounds strangly familar. Pretty muchwhat I did with Valuran, back when his name was Valura and we allthought he wasa pretty little girl. Saw his...manly bits andwas like "um, hon...." lol

Latest posts

Back