My furry lil man is ill and the vet wont do any thing ne advice??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 5 month old male dutchrabbit has suddenly taken ill and my vet wont doany thing because there is no gurantee it will work and ineed to know if any one may have something on this matter . i went in to clean there cage yesterday afternoon as i always do and he was down on his side and barely breating and had became suddenly emaciated with in a matter of a few hours , he can not move any part of his body other than hes head and he can barely do that , i have been giveing him glucose through a syringe and a thin past of baby cereal as well as some apple sauce but to no avail he is not seeming to improve any ideas thoughstories of simulate experiences something would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

I think a Mod needs to move this to the Infirmary section because not to many people look at this section of the forum.

Hopefully a mod will catch this soon and move it for you so you can geta speedy response. Im really sorry to hear about your bunny. Could it be a parasite of some kind?What do you mean your vet wont do anything? He has to at least examine the rabbit.

[align=center]they look ad him told me to keep him hydrated and see if i could get him to eat that was it, as i was told its just a rabbit he can be replaced i was appauled and they charged me 100 bucks for that !!! is there any way i can move it myself i am new and didnt see the infermiry section ??
[/align]

Hi apollows_last_stand24,

I moved this thread into the infirmary section for you.

I don't have any ideas, other than keep bunny hydrated and fed.

Get some pedialyte if you can (a drink for dehydrated children), and mash up some pellets into a slurry and syringe feed.

Is the vet you are seeing rabbit savvy? Can you check in ourvet listing to see if there is a rabbit savvy vet near you?http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=9

Hopefully others will come forward with more answers.

--Dawn

Edit: just read your new post, and the food the vet gave will work as a pellet slurry.

[align=center]thanks greately appreciated, thevet supposedly specializes in small animals they take great care of my ferret, i dont see much diffrence between the rabbit and my ferret but apparently they do , i have been giving him slurry and pedialyte as well im doing about every thing i can for his lil fuzzy heart , ill check that link
thanks again
Hope
[/align]

Sorry to hear about your bunny! So the vet didnt actually tell you what was wrong, just to get him food and water? That doesnt sound right.

Just because a vet specializes in small animals doesn't mean they are good with rabbits. Please check our vet listings to see if there is someone near you who could help.

Is he taking the food and water? Is he pooping normally and regularly? Does his stomach area feel hard or bloated?

Did they do x rays or any other tests?

I'll be praying for your little one.

Welcome to the forum. You've received some good advice from our members. Some questions to consider are:

Have you fed him anything new or different in the last day or so before he got ill?

Has he had any new toys?

Was he exposed to anything like paint (could he have chewed on a piece of wall panel or something)?

What about plants? Anything poisonous that he could have gotten into?

I'm curious how you were able to get glucose...I didn't know that someone could get that without a prescription or something. Did the vet give you the glucose?

Also - is Apollo your baby's name? Just curious as we much had a verybeloved bunny on this forum w/ the name of Apollo - and he was from Virginia too. Unfortunately, he passed away a while ago.

Good luck with your bunny.

Peg

I'm so sorry your little man is sick.Does he eat veggies or treats?Maybe he would take some of his favorites if you offered them.

I would never set foot in that vet's office again.

He could have at least hydrated him with sub-q fluids.

Poor baby and poor you. You must be so upset.

I hope he improves.

:pray:

Him and his sister have been in there cage haven't been out in a few days as i have beenbusy , i feed and clean every evening before i goto work , the room there in is dedicated to my rabbits and my ferret there is nothing in there but them and there things in a small rubber made dresser that they like to hide in as well as a cardboard box that they naturally have shewed on a bit but has never affected them , the vet was useless and cant really afford to go to another as much as iwant to im just trying to make his time left as good as i can by giving him what lil i can get him to eat, he loves applesauce and is taking that well, what concerns me the most is that he is not moving more than his head , i am really at a loss

Yes my , babys name is apollo, haven't had him but 2 months i rescued him feom being snake food , hehas been such a sweety loves to cuddle and nuzzle and give kisses , his sister as we call her luna isnt takeing it well she will not have any thing to do with him and dissecting her self from every one , apollo is laying beside me as i type wrapped in a towel moveing nothing but his cute little nose just barely, i just got off the phone with another vet who saidto keep up what i am doing and if he doesn't improve to bring him in and the will put him down!! i am appalled!!! i was able to get glucose because i have a friends father who is a local vet and they happend to have some at home for when he makes house call, i personally have given him sub q fluids,at least being in the FFA and 4 h paid off for something growing up i just dont know what to do thank you for your thoughts
Hope

Did they think it could be GI stasis? If left untreated, that can cause a lot of pain for bunnies.

Is he eating and drinking now? Pooping?

Ah - you changed your picture to Apollo I'm guessing? I noticed before it didn't look like a dutch rabbit - the one in the cage w/ the kittens beside it.

Wishing you & Apollo all the best.

Peg

they haven't said any thing ! and he seems to be in a lot of pain ! he is eating a bit but not much slurry and apple sauce mostly as well as apple sauce and some normal food but mostly pedialyte and apple sauce , isnt pooping normal it is runny no normal poop , im at a loss
Hope

yes the one in the cage is my oldest Luna and out 2 cats they were teasing her and she was getting mad at them, but yes the new avatar is apollo one i just took of him laying beside me on our couch, he is fading fast though i can tell jis body is shutting down he is starting to shake some , and my husband is at work with our car not much i can do except sit here and be with my bun bun make him as comfortable as ican
thanks again
Hope

Oh, Sweetie...I'm so sorry this has to be your first post here on our site. We (me and my bunny girls) will keep you and your Apollo in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated on how your baby is doing, ok?

I wish this could be a happier welcome, but remember that we're completely here for you, and, despite what that vet said, your Apollo isn't "just a rabbit"...he's your baby! I think Pipp's idea of checking the rabbit savvy vet thread is a great idea. I hope you find someone really knowledgeable and kind through it.

Let us know continually how your boy is doing, ok? And be sure to give little Luna lots of love and hugs...must be strange for her to see him in this condition, whether they were bonded or not.

Anyway, we're here for you and your bunnies...I hope you find out what's going on soon, and his health starts improving.

Love and hugs,

Rosie*

I missed this. Sorry!

This article may be of some help to you:
http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Ejabuck/WARCI/other_ailments.htm

There's very little info about this, but the recommendations are worth a try and are easy. It recommends giving Vitamin E in addition to supportive treatment such as keeping the rabbit warm (try a sock filled with dry rice and heated in the microwave), and syringe feeding with high-calorie supplements.

Keep us updated! How is he today?

[align=center]To everyone my darling Apollo took his last stand last night about 9 , he fought so hard , the pain and suffering he was in was to much to take so i had to have him put tosleep, , he is in a better place now i guess endless alfalfa lots of soft grass , he is greately missed , i took it a bit hard got completely trashed , didnt help much though , i miss my bun bun and so does his partner luna she is acting out now dosent want to be loved , or touched , how ever she should be pregnant with his babies so lets keep our fingers crossed that she is so apollos life can be carried on in his lil ones, Thank you all for your help , thought support and prayers every thing has been and is greately appreciated,
thanks again
Hope
[/align]

Back